Conker's Bad Fur Day

• I think Conker's Bad Fur Day is one of the funniest games I've ever played-so much so that letting Kyle Bosman's ears get wind of this forced him out of the EZA studio for a bit. I am surprised by how Kyle and Damiani don't like Conker's Bad Fur Day, and I'm sure some of you think it's not worth all the fuss-but it showed me how videogames can be irreverent and crude, that they don't need heroes you can identify with or to be taken seriously. I get that Conker's Bad Fur Day cribs liberally from the likes of Banjo Kazooie as well as adorning itself with inspirational wallpaper from a myriad of blockbuster films-but blended together the game is remarkably funny and memorable.

• I only watched Kyle & Damiani's stream, but I vividly remember thinking out loud "man, this game doesn't hold up at all." The crudeness of everything just feels wrong, I can't really say that I understand the appeal of the game. Unlikeable writing is one thing, but at some point the textures start to look like poop to me and I couldn't even finish watching that stream.

• Comedy in games peaked with Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars.

• Now I want to play it.

• I remember really liking Conker's Bad Fur Day years ago. I really want to play it again to see if it holds up. For sure it's a pretty unique game.

• I think the boss fights in Conker's Bad Fur Day are some of the most outrageous I've ever seen in the best way possible.

• The humour, graphics, and sound are all excellent. But it's an average game. It's completely linear, irritatingly hard in several sections (the lava race may hold the record for most attempts I've ever put into a video game objective), and the controls + physics + camera all have a "sludgy" quality.

• @bam541 said in Conker's Bad Fur Day:

I vividly remember thinking out loud "man, this game doesn't hold up at all." The crudeness of everything just feels wrong, I can't really say that I understand the appeal of the gam

that's because Conker is a game from the early 2000's. it was a different time back then.

alot of stuff in Conker's Bad Fur Day would not fly at all with today's SJW's around the globe.

• I never found it especially funny, but I did find it refreshing back in the day, because back then you'd so rarely see cute cartoon characters act in such a crude manner. People always acted like Conker's Bad Fur Day wasn't a game for kids, but I disagree. To adults, that kind of humor isn't particularly standout, but it is instead that they put those kinds of dirty jokes, innuendo, and scenarios into a typical kid's game that makes them shine beyond being the shitty to offensive jokes everyone knows they are. The kids sneakily playing such a game are also going to get way more of a kick out of it all than adults who are allowed to watch things with similar content, so basically it had the taboo factor.

It is like a cruder version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit or a cleaner version of Meet the Feebles. I mean, in the time since this game came out, the concept has been playing with much more, to the point where Conker's Bad Fur Day is nigh mundane by today's standards, and people seem generally sick of concept. At the time though, it was doing alot, and yeah the gameplay definitely isn't super polished or fun to play, but it was elaborate by N64 standards. There was quite a bit going on, and each new section had pretty wildly different things you were doing. The story actually was pretty in depth compared to lots of games, especially in the platformer genre, even if a bunch of it was movie parodies and what wasn't tended to be even dumber. You just really didn't know what was going to happen next or how far they were going to take things.

Beyond all that, it did have a legitimately fun multiplayer mode, and lots of fans of the game will openly tell you it is way better than the campaign. There's still scattershot groups who play it. So even after you got off Conker's wild ride, you had something with replay value to enjoy.

Yes, the world has moved on. Most of the humor doesn't hold up, because it never held up. At the time it wasn't acceptable either. Far as some allies making a show of disliking it, I don't want to cry virtue signaling, because I don't think that's exactly it, least not in full, but it is closer to bandwagoning around something society has decided is acceptable to trash. You see it often these days, and if you know a big portion of your community hates something for whatever reason, easy to hate along and earn brownie points with them. I don't think Kyle is really the type though, so he probably did just legitimately hate it, having not grown up with N64 games and not liking the aesthetics the way he likes Playstation aesthetics or generally seeming to have a taste for crude humor in general. Least that's the impression he always gave with GT / EZA, but now that he's on his own, he often seems like a different person entirely, maybe just more relaxed now? As for Damiani, Conker is an often frustrating Platformer, with lack of polish in many areas and sudden difficult spikes at points, so that's probably reason enough to earn his eternal disdain.

All that said, the game IS trash (far as content goes, not the "art" of it or the delivered product) so I firmly believe it is completely fair to trash on it, even if the developers clearly worked hard on it. All I'd ask of anyone is to try and understand why some people do like it instead of implying it has no redeeming value or just following the bandwagon of hating on the thing that's easy to hate on. I'll end by saying I actually do wish we were in the timeline where this version of Conker got to go on to new crude games, new experiments, not himself be exploited for really dumb crap like Project Spark or Microsoft's AR project that never came to light. I still think there's value in the character and the concept, but you just need the right writers and developers behind it. Linear, Story-Focused 3D Platformers could still work today. Hell, you add a bunch of mediocre gunfights, and that's basically just Uncharted. Conker certainly has plenty of material in the time since to work with. Just please please please do not do to Conker what they did with Battletoads. Whipping him around back to a kid friendly mascot looking like a modern low budget cartoon show is somehow a fate even worse than the limbo he's been stuck in all this time. Conker needs that edge, even if we're all wincing at the immaturity and inappropriateness of the situations he drunkenly stumbles through.

• I was too young to play it when it released and then I think I rented it right on the ass end of when Blockbuster was purging N64 and PS1 games and retiring them to the "for-sale" racks near the front. Definitely didn't like it at all, but I was still relatively young and maybe didn't get the jokes, but then again, I think I was maybe 10 or 11 at the time and definitely was getting into South Park so who knows. A bit blurry.

I mainly remember dark cave-like levels and it just didn't do anything for me. Especially since N64 already had two Banjo games, DK 64, and Mario 64. I always was super into A Bug's Life, Spyro, Croc, Rayman, Crash on PS1. There was enough to go round without Conker.

So no hard feelings towards it but just not a franchise I care much about.