Most Disappointing Games

• Which games left you riled in disappointment? One that immediately comes to mind for me is 2019's GRID Reboot. I love the original GRID and I feel GRID 2 and Autosport were good enough, but the reboot really is a shambles as far as I'm concerned. Events don't feel special and there's no raceday atmosphere or vibe-it feels like you're going from event to event just for the sake of completing it and moving on. I did quite like seeing cars colliding and rolling end over end out of nowhere, but I expected more flourishes and just more style and panache and sadly it just wasn't there for me.

• I remember trying out Freedom Wars back when I first got my Vita like 2 years ago. Absolutely infuriating game. I don't know if I ever felt so much disgust towards a game in my entire life, lol. There's nothing fun about it.

• This may not be the most interesting answer but MGS5 would be my pick. To qualify it, I actually loved the core of the game itself which I think is what made it so disappointing. Repetitive missions, an obviously incomplete plot and thinned out production values took something that should have been one of the greats and made it mostly memorable for its glaring deficiencies. I played the damn hell out of it and convinced myself I loved it but I truthfully spent a lot of the time imagining what could have been.

• Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly

It is terrible in so many ways and it's the sequel the some of my favorite games ever.

• Diablo 3. It eventually became one of my favorite and most played games, but man that launch was absolutely abysmal.

• @neocweeny after how boring Crash Bandicoot wrath of cortex was, Spyro Enter the Dragonfly was what put me off playing Crash ad Spyro platformers entirely until the trilogy re-release's

• Doom Eternal
    Shadow Warrior 2
    Wolfenstein The New Colossus

• Watch Dogs - This game was way overhyped before release. Even people at my work that I barely knew wanted to talk with me about it. They would show me trailers on their phones every time a new one was released. All this hype is what lead me to playing it at launch.

Not only was it disappointing due to the graphics downgrade and poor performance. But the city and open world was very dull. Also none of the gameplay felt all that special. After finishing Watch Dogs I thought, "this is the same game that everyone was losing their minds about."

Some Honorable Mentions:
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Anthem
    Ni no Kuni II
    Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
    Journey
    Halo 4
    Resident Evil 6
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

• I have to give it to Skyrim.

Is it crazy to be disappointed by one of the most beloved games of all time? Yes!—But I still think some of the changes they made to Skyrim were steps backwards and they didn't do nearly enough to push the series forward. In my opinion, the game launched feeling a bit dated.

It always perplexes me that Oblivion launched in 2005, followed by Fallout 3 in 2007, then Skyrim in 2011 (6ish years since TESIV), and they still managed to have horrible combat. It's like they made no effort to improve it; just make the kills slo-mo like that'll resolve everything.

This guys personality aside, he makes so good points about Oblivion vs Skyrim:

5 Things Oblivion Did Better Than Skyrim
    Youtube Video

--

Close 2nd is SOCOM 4

SOCOM 1-3 were best-selling and highly praised shooters on PS2. So the shiny new PS3 comes out and Sony hires the pretty good studio behind the SOCOM PSP games to develop the flagship PS3 SOCOM game and that was Confrontation. Although the game had a redemption arc, the damage was done with a broken buggy launch and most non-hardcore fans moved on.

Meanwhile, the original SOCOM studio, Zipper Interactive, made MAG. I didn't really like MAG all that much and it definitely felt very unrefined compared to the COD, BF, and Halo's of that era, but it had some good ideas.

So Sony brings Zipper Int back to the SOCOM series for their return to the franchise for the first time since 2005 on PS2!

...Only for fans like myself to realize that it's mainly a cash-in on the PlayStation Move controller and a trend following co-op shooter with an XP grind and multiplayer as an after thought. The multiplayer had an Uncharted-like cover system with OTS aiming and respawning like COD. It just wasn't even SOCOM. Also felt exactly like MAG but in 3rd person.

Hard to be too too disappointed because we knew it was a cash-in from the reveal trailer. It was ultimately just so generic and bland. I assume this is how Sony wanted all of their shooters to be back then. The god's at Incognito make Warhawk and Sony shut them down :(

Also... the infamous PlayStation hack of 2011.

--

Other dishonorable mentions:

GTA V

It's good. I don't think its great and I appreciate why they made the changes they did but I liked the direction GTA IV was going and GTA V's direction was just a fast and loose version of GTA IV. Again, didn't feel like it improved much.

Cyberpunk 2077

Like Skyrim, this just feels dated on arrival. Maybe even more so than Skyrim ever did. The game design is a half baked mix of Ubisoft / Rockstar simulated open world but also a Witcher-esque quest system, and a pretty bad upgrade tree sprinkled in.

Technical problems go without say.

• @shoulderguy What's disappointing about Ni no Kuni II? I haven't played the game yet but I never heard something bad about it.

• @neocweeny My expectations for Ni no Kuni II were very high based on all the great reviews, like Damiani's 9.5 review. And how much people loved the first game.

Basically I found all aspects of Ni no Kuni II to be pretty underwhelming. I decided to play through all 40 hours of the story anyway because I wanted to see if that was what made it so great. But the story was actually the most disappointing part of Ni no Kuni II.

• There is also the part about Studio Ghibli not being involved with the second game at all.

• I loved Ni no Kuni II. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like it's a perfect game, but it has such good vibes that it just makes me feel warm inside. I remember there being a lot of criticism for its difficulty, but I think it being super easy just added to its warmth. The story was also far from mind-blowing, but again it's all about vibes for me. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the soundtrack, which is done by Joe Motherfucking Hisaishi.

In an effort not to derail the thread, I'll answer the question. I was disappointed by Ghost of Tsushima. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but I just wanted so much more from it. The world is so beautiful, but it's just cluttered with map objectives that are more-often-than-not pretty uninteresting. The story also did nothing for me because every character felt so distant, and as a result I had no real relationship with any of them. Another thing that disappointed me was the illusion of choice. The game makes a big point about your struggle with your honor as a samurai and your ruthlessness as the ghost, but it's clear there's a certain path it wants you to take. One moment that comes to mind is I was in a mission with a group of enemies designed to be taken out via stealth, like they were by a bunch of stealth things like tall grass and the like. I decided I didn't want to stealth it because I didn't want to disappoint the character I was with, so I took them out like an honorable samurai. However, when I killed the group of enemies, he still berated me for being stealthy even though I wasn't, thus rendering this so-called "choice" completely false. The game literally did not account for me attacking them head on because it didn't align with what they wanted me to do.

I do like the game, truly. I just wish it was so much more.

• The thing that disappointed me the most with Ni No Kui 2 was that they created these really cool support characters & did absolutely nothing them and the world was alot of copy & 'paste. Still enjoyed the game for what it was.

• @capnbobamous

I didn't play the GoT yet but I said this before:

SamuraivsGhost was a great opportunity for inFamous games' HerovsEvil mechanic. And it would help the story have different paths and more meaningful outcomes from the missions like you just said.

• @capnbobamous said in Most Disappointing Games:

The game makes a big point about your struggle with your honor as a samurai and your ruthlessness as the ghost, but it's clear there's a certain path it wants you to take.

Unlike you, I don't have a problem with the way it is in GoT personally, I got really invested to Jin's journey, but I would really love it if they try to tackle this in their next game anyway. I feel like Sucker Punch always had some trouble with the flexibility of the morality system in their games, like in InFamous where you're rewarded for being a straight up douche or good guy, but not if you try to play the middle ground. If they do this, they probably have to make the story far less linear and director-driven than it is in GoT, which is something that I don't think Sucker Punch want to do, but it would still be interesting for me to see.

• Let's lightning round what sticks in my mind from the last couple years...

Super Mario Maker 2 - support ended too fast and missing all the playful soul of the original

Pokemon Sword / Shield - even ignoring NatDex, missing lots of expected content like dungeons and character development

Animal Crossing New Horizons - massive step down from New Leaf, tons of series staple Special NPCs are still missing

The Last of Us Part 2 - ruins characters, forces you to QTE kill a dog, over the top violence and drama to make an impression

Paper Mario: The Origami King - pretty good, but not the return to form of the series roots that fans are waiting for

Ghost of Tsushima - hard to put into words, but it just wasn't what I was looking for, luckily Sekiro filled the gap for me

Loop Hero - only 3 classes, only 4 "challenges" as the game's entire story content, demands optimal play instead of options

Balan Wonderworld - boring powers from ugly costumes instead of the cool creatures they're based on, confusing and bland

• @bam541 I'm fine with it being linear, I just wish it didn't have the illusion of choice. The fact that I was able to beat those guys without stealth at all feels like a flaw to me because it very clearly wanted me to use stealth. Either make me do what you want or don't give me the choice at all. You can't have both, Ghost!