Vote for the forum's GOTY 2020!

• Ya know, I was JUST thinking the other day if we were going to put this list together next month since it'll have been half a year, but the sooner the better I say! Since I'm about to start work, I'll send my votes in a little later today.

On the subject of Dreams, personally, I think it would be better to nominate Dreams as the entire thing, and when it's revealed on the countdown (as I do think it would get enough votes, but who knows. I've been surprised here before), you could say something like, "I voted for Dreams because of (Insert name of the Dream)," and go into great detail about it. The reason why is because, whatever the Dream is, it would not exist as it currently is without Dreams being a thing. While I totally respect it being a standalone experience worthy of being head and shoulders above many other games, because there are SO. MANY. creations within the Dreamsphere, the odds of another voter picking the same dream is extremely low, and it getting only one vote ensures it won't place. By voting for Dreams as a whole, you'll have a better chance to gush about whatever standalone experience impacted you.

• I still haven't played DOOM Eternal which I wanted to try before picking GOTY but it's May 3rd and I'm pretty sure that speaks volumes about my interest in it (despite it's free-ness on XBGP).

I think my list in locked and loaded, but I want to play more Golf With Friends. Not sure if it's GOTY material, but I've had a surprising amount of fun and it's skillfully made for pure fun with friends—as the title implies...

Am I crazy or did I not play Cloudpunk in like, 2017?

• @dipset Perhaps you are thinking of Frostpunk?

This is actually a pretty easy year for me. Might be the first time I submit my list not on the final day of submissions!

• @el-shmiablo

No not Frostpunk.

I just Googled "Cloudpunk Early Access" and it did go into early access but not back in 2017/2018.

The game I am thinking of (I could've sworn was called Cloudpunk), is 1st person and is kinda a humourous game. I think there was some video-game meta jokes in there. Definitely a less refined art style than this final version of Cloudpunk (which looks really great btw). We played it in the lunch room at work a few years ago so I know it wasn't 2020 but I swear to God it was Cloudpunk.

Can anyone help me out here?

Googling "video games with 'punk' in the title" hasn't helped me much.

• @dipset Jazzpunk?

• Alright I guess it's time for me to finish AC Valhalla, Hades, Watch Dogs Legion, Kentucky Route Zero, Doom Eternal, Ori, FF VII Remake, Desperados III, Ghost of Tsushima, Spiritfarer, Wasteland 3, and Cyberpunk.

I'm sure I can get it done...

• @axel said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2020!:

Persona 5 Strikers

Didn't Strikers come out in 2021 for US/EU?

• @capnbobamous I quite enjoyed KRZ but I prefer KFC because it has deep fried chicken.

• @el-shmiablo said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2020!:

@dipset Jazzpunk?

JAZZPUNK!

But now all these Cloudpunk research has me interested in playing it...

• @jdincinerator Can't argue with that.

• My votes have been sent!

2020 Shout Outs:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - My favorite non-2020 released game that I finished in 2020.
    Metro Exodus - Sam's Story - My favorite DLC.
    Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - My favorite Remaster.
    Baldurs Gate 3 Early Access - My future GOTY.

• Votes sent. Very, VERY curious how a few games will pan out. I'm also confident my major four will appear at some point throughout the list, but I do NOT believe most of my HMs will.

And a note about a game I won't vote for: CyberPunk 2077. I can't say, "I own a game I refuse to start until it's in a better state," without it being mega obvious, but at some point in the future I will play it. However, that won't come until we're long done.

Regardless, 2020 gaming was excellent and I can't wait to see the full reveal.

• @demonpirate said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2020!:

@axel said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2020!:

Persona 5 Strikers

Didn't Strikers come out in 2021 for US/EU?

Good catch, thanks, I removed it.

• It feels like 2020 was a year when everyone has their own GotY and runner ups, so any community ranking will produce a random result (replace several participant and outcome will be different). So, this time I see no point in strategic voting and my top 8 is simply my top 8. I’m certain that at least half of my nominees will not receive any votes from others. I can even see all of them not making into top 25. I don’t care. I still love the games I’ve picked and if I’m alone in this, it makes them even more special.

P.S. Sorry @Axel for forcing you to add a few useless lines into your table.

• Even when we are 5 months into new year I didn't play a lot of the 2020 contenders. That goes to show my laziness I guess.

• Voted like a pro! Ichiban made a change to my list compared to what it was in January, when I organized this same vote on a Finnish forum.

• I am struggling to fill my final HM slot.

I've ordered 7 games that I am certain of GOTY nominations, but then if I look back at everything else I played in 2020 that isn't on my list. I don't know if they are worth a GOTY nod.

Based on the list for games in 2020, the only one's I haven't played but have interest in is: Minecraft Dungeons, DOOM Eternal, Resident Evil 3, and Sackboy. Definitely don't think I can play all of those. Might have to bump up a game to Honorable Mention status despite my gut feeling that it isn't award material.

Every other game from 2020 just looks amateur when we compare it to the GOTY Fast & Furious Crossroads!

• Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

• @yoshi It's not eligible.

• @scotty I realized from a look at my "Completed Games of 2020" post that I mostly play games 2 years after they come out. I played 10 games that released in 2020 but I'm sure by 2022 I will have played way more.