E3 2021 - Your Hype & Hopes!

• @oscillator people have been bitching and moaning for a new 2D metroid 5 game for ages now. not just another remake.

people are just bitching for the sake of bitching at the moment even when they were given what they asked for in the first bloody place.

people are just being spoiled snobs now. i'm finding

• @yoshi Not everyone is a Metroid fan who was looking for this. I agree a game that continues the story of Metroid after 19 years with the name of a previously scrapped project is a big deal for people who do care about that though. I also kind of personally think the look of it is a bit underrated. I get where people are coming from with some of the more empty backgrounds, but we're also likely mostly seeing the very beginning of the game with most the cool looking stuff purposely withheld. They've already shown some areas with cool backgrounds through Treehouse. That or just the usual complaining how every Switch game looks that never ends. All that said, circle back to not everyone is going to be automatically hype for a new 2D Metroid just because of the history behind why this is pretty crazy. Doesn't make them bitching for the sake of bitching or spoiled snobs. They're just not invested.

That said, personally I've been carrying the torch for Advance Wars. It finally happened, but it is $60 for the first two games. The art style looks much worse to me than the originals, and it seems like not much else has changed besides them adding online multiplayer. Oh, and they outsourced it to WayForward. Feels like some monkey paw wish shit, but I also don't want to complain, because just by being back in any form, if people will buy it at this rip off price, means we could get new entries eventually. Not how I envisioned it coming back though, and I can't say I'm happy like I would be if we had just gotten a new entry from Intelligent Systems that looked more like an evolved Dual Strike or even something crazy like Days of Ruin. Just for comparison sake, the new Super Monkey Ball Collection is $40 for three games.

• if Advance Wars has come back then F-Zero has a chance. not much of one, but a chance.

• Banned

While I'm super excited for any new Metroid, I do understand certain complaints. It really does look like a touched up 3DS game, and doesn't even come close to the artistry of its contemporaries such as Ori or dozens of other indie side scrollers. It smacks of laziness, but I feel like anybody who is still a Nintendo fan at this point is probably fine with that.

• @el-shmiablo That's my thinking too. Comparing with some other games being done now that's really just OK. And it's not even an hardware problem since Ori 2 looks stunning even on the Switch. This is a prime (no pun intended) Nintendo IP we're talking about.

• Banned

@phbz I am in no way trying to say the game will be bad, but it is just kind of odd that a company as gigantic and successful as Nintendo doesn't show a little more ambition with their games than a handful of dudes working out of a basement.
    Over the years I've come to accept that this is just how Nintendo works, and that expecting anything more is silly since people will just eat it up regardless and defend them vigorously if you try to point out any faults.

• @el-shmiablo Me neither, I'm hoping and expecting it to be good/great. I also think that Nintendo within its self imposed hardware limitations tends to have fantastic art direction, which here I'm not seeing at all.

• @el-shmiablo said in E3 2021 - Your Hype & Hopes!:

I am in no way trying to say the game will be bad, but it is just kind of odd that a company as gigantic and successful as Nintendo doesn't show a little more ambition with their games than a handful of dudes working out of a basement.
    Over the years I've come to accept that this is just how Nintendo works, and that expecting anything more is silly since people will just eat it up regardless and defend them vigorously if you try to point out any faults.

They're a very conservative company, both financially and culturally. Their main development teams tend to run flat - don't hire, don't fire. When they want to do more or bigger stuff, they generally outsource instead of expand. They do acquire studios, but very rarely. They like the idea of keeping a cash hoard that will protect them in hard times.

@phbz said in E3 2021 - Your Hype & Hopes!:

I also think that Nintendo within its self imposed hardware limitations tends to have fantastic art direction, which here I'm not seeing at all.

MercurySteam is not owned by Nintendo, and the only games they've made under Nintendo's guidance are Samus Returns and Dread.

• I definitely don't think it looks that bad. I feel like they're more art style differences than anything. A look like Ori wouldn't work well for Metroid where stuff is supposed to be very mechanical as well as alien in a sci-fi direction, rather than fantasy.

• @mbun

I’d argue a game like Ori pushes the boundaries of depth and camera composition for a side scroller whereas Metroid just looks flat on and common. It goes way beyond just sci-fi vs fantasy.

No matter where you are standing in Ori, and even Hollow Knight to a lesser extent, there is a fantastic sense of depth between the FG, MG, and BG where every layer of the composition works to build the world and be aesthetically pleasing.

I guess that attention to detail is why I wonder how a Nintendo game doesn’t really hit that bar. Metroid Dread doesn’t look horrible but when the competition is on a whole other level, you’d think the AAA publisher would try to reach it too.