Best And Worst Call of Duty Game

• I've just beaten the MW2 campaign for the first time last night so on the back of that I ask what is the best and worst Call of Duty game to date?

• I just want to say that Advanced Warfare is better than people give credit for. I didn't have the chance to finish the campaign but it was fun for the parts that I experienced.

• CoD4: Modern Warfare is still the best one for me. There's just nothing wrong with the game itself. It's very solid from front to back, and it never felt overly bombastic or dumb like many of the CoDs after it.

Worst one is definitely Ghosts for me. It's actually pretty impressive how boring and dumb it can be. If any other franchise put out a game that is as bad as Ghosts, it would have a very good chance of killing the franchise.

• The worst one is Ghosts. There is absolutely nothing remarkable about it. The best game for me was Black Ops 3. Zombies got turned up to 11 in terms of scope and the multiplayer was super fun.

• TOP 3 -

1. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019)
    2. Call of Duty 2
    3. Modern Warfare 2

BOTTOM 3 -

1. Black Ops Cold War
    2. Call of Duty 3
    3. Black Ops III

UNDERRATED -

1. Call of Duty: Finest Hour
    2. Call of Duty : Big Red One

--

Pulled from another thread:

I've recently replayed COD2 and COD4. Both games are massively dated by today's standards, but COD2 just has this simple timeless fun element to it which is just pointing and aiming on big WWII battlefields. Kar98k and Lee Enfiled will never grow old; even if the audio, graphics, and time-to-kill do.

Whereas COD4 leads to so much aggravation in 2021. The perk system was highly inventive, but my fucking god is it an unbalanced mess that just isn't fun to play anymore.

• M16 + Stopping Power perk = 1 shot kill from medium or close range.
    • Stacking killstreaks lead to 50% of the match hiding from helicopters
    • Noob tube deaths from a football field away
    • Completely broken respawning

I still like the COD4 single player however.

--

FYI - Black Ops 1 was so boring that I skipped most COD games since then (other than like 5 hours of BO2) and only returned because Black Ops III was a free PS+ game in 2018. So I missed: MW3, Ghosts, Advanced Warfare, Infinity Warfare, and WWII.

• Anybody play that Black Ops: Declassified?

• I still think COD 2 remains the best so far. As for the worst? I might actually have to say the latest. I borrowed it from a friend a while back but was so bored I didn't even see it through before returning it. Otherwise it's BO4 simply for not bothering with a single player campaign.

• Best: Modern Warfare 2
    Worst: Literally anything with Black Ops in the title.

• @el-shmiablo What's wrong with Crap-Ops?

• @jdincinerator I think the better question is what isn't wrong?
    The singleplayer in the first game was so mind numbingly stupid that I felt personally insulted by it.
    As for the multiplayer, Treyarch are abysmal map designers. Every map is just a giant cluster fuck with zero thought.

• @jdincinerator said in Best And Worst Call of Duty Game:

@el-shmiablo What's wrong with Crap-Ops?

PS3 version was maybe 500p resolution and sub-30 to 40 fps in multiplayer. The whole game looked like shit and had screen tear galore. It was such a massive step down from MW2 on PS3 which looked fantastic and still does.

Map design was hit or miss. Hard to deny Nuketown is a classic but the rest were dogshit. Weapons were bullshit and every game fell into the same formula.

Single player had such insultingly bad scripted sections that you could complete some levels without even shooting your gun. I never tried this personally, but I didn't appreciate how on-the-rails things got by this point.

Really, Black Ops is a solid 5/10 and I have no idea how it became such a massive seller. I honestly think it was riding high from MW2 and most fans are too dense to tell the difference between each studio's game.

• @sheria said in Best And Worst Call of Duty Game:

I still think COD 2 remains the best so far. As for the worst? I might actually have to say the latest. I borrowed it from a friend a while back but was so bored I didn't even see it through before returning it. Otherwise it's BO4 simply for not bothering with a single player campaign.

Absolutely 2 is best one. its also most varied one started with snowy soviet campaign to desert of africa to D-Day and hill 400 which were blast. I was young when COD2 released and was impressed.

• My favorite campaign is the still the original. It's more my style of game. It's not the bombastic set pieces CoD 2 and onwards are. If we were going by pure spectacle Modern Warfare 3 would be my favorite.

The next in the series CoD: Finest Hour is my least favorite. It has a great soundtrack but everything else about the game feels very "off". I don't know how to explain, it's has also been ages since I played through it.

• I've tried but have never really gotten into Call of Duty storylines. That being said, my room mates and I played a ton of the multiplayer for Advanced Warfare back in the day and that was absolutely the best time I had with the online modes. Either that or the original Black Ops. Gun Game all the way!

I'm excited to give WWII a try sometime soon, because I want to get in to a good COD story. FPS campaigns just don't really grab me like others though.

• @happygaming

I watched my old roommate play COD WWII and I can assure you the storyline is insultingly bad. He was amused playing the game itself but the plot might be the worst part.

• @dipset

Well I was up last night wondering if I should install that or just watch Band of Brothers. I'll probably do the latter if the story for the former is that bad, haha

• @happygaming You're honestly better off doing that.
    If you want to play CoD with a decent story, your only real option is the Modern Warfare trilogy or the reboot.

• all of them are the best at being equally the worst

• Global Moderator

@jdincinerator

Ah yes BLOPS : Declassified...

It came with my Vita as a pack-in so I think of it with a kinder disposition, but it's definitely not great.

Graphics are quite good, but the non-shooting gameplay is a bit slippery and Veteran difficulty is just plain impossible. I've beaten CoD 2, 4MW, and MW2 all on Veteran before, but you're just at too much of a disadvantage on the Vita's native controls. (Part of me curious how it handles on a PSTV with a PS3 controller)

The story is non-existent, and the presentation is pretty sparse outside of the gameplay.

Like if you paid a full 40 bucks for the game on Vita, you'd have a right to be upset or to score it poorly

• Global Moderator

@dipset

I definitely agree CoD 3 is among the worst in the series, though I think it's also among the most interesting just since its from the very early days of activision playing hot potato with developers. CoD 3 does some goofy interesting things by trying to rip off battlefield with class based multiplayer and vehicles.

I have some fond, albeit janky memories of the game, but I wouldn't suggest it on it's own merits.