Would you drive 2 hours to get Pokemon SoulSilver?

• Impulsive decision here.

I found a copy of Pokemon SoulSilver for $50 at a GameStop, but it is a 2 hour drive.

eBay has copies for around $80, and Amazon has them for $120+.

That being said, what are some of your favorite Pokemon from Gen 2 Soul Silver?

• Initial question out of context, yes. However, I'm pretty sure it'll cost less just to get one of the eBay copies than you'll spend on gas driving 4 hours round trip to pick up a copy.

Soul Silver is Gen 4 Johto btw. I remember using Togekiss and enjoyed that, even though there's no Gen 4 evolution Togekiss in the original Gold/Silver which was in Gen 2 when the line ended at Togetic. Quagsire is also great, and I'm a huge fan of Meganium.

• Yes, yes, and yes. I make a pretty long commute to Gamestop once every few months, and if they had SoulSilver at their store, I would get a copy. And I have much love for Totodile.

• Me personally? No, because I don't like Pokemon that much.
    I'm also not an impulsive person. I generally like to think about my purchases and decisions and give them some time before I decide.
    So it's entirely up to you if you think it's worth it or not. Do you want it that badly or do you simply feel that you "have to" get it because it's so "cheap" now?

Also, I don't know how GameStop works in your country, but isn't it possible to get them to send it over to a more local GameStop for you so that you can pick it up there? Thus at least removing the need for that 2 hour drive? Have you tried calling them?

Personally though I would just purchase the cheapest version I can find of the game (for any region/language) and then simply emulate the game on PC or whatever.

• @suplextrain GameStop doesn't ship stuff like that, as major cities would drain the stock of nearby small towns. (Lots of them in Midwest). And they lack the logistical supplies and manpower to consistently ship stuff across the region I think.

As for not emulating, pokebank. Being able to trade pokemon from SoulSilver to sun and moon would be nice.

@Mbun - Be about $50 + $16 for gas. eBay copies run the risk of not working/being fake.

I definitely had to just externalize my thoughts a bit. I'll probably drive there after work today. I had that moment where I thought "...am I insane?"

• If you haven't played it before and you're into Pokemon, then yes, 100%. It's the best game in the series. You won't lose money on it either. Heart Gold/Soul Silver have only gone up in value since launch.

• $50 for a used game that's what...7 years old? No thanks, I'll play my original Gold/Silver carts instead. Wouldn't matter if the drive was only 5 minutes away, I wouldn't reward Gamestop for price gouging.

• Both ways? Noooooo. Second gen is so hit-and-miss...

alt text

• I would do it just for the road trip

• @ZyloWolfBane Gamestop actually has the lowest price I can find. Everywhere else is $80 at least.

• @Stormcrownn said in Would you drive 2 hours to get Pokemon SoulSilver?:

@ZyloWolfBane Gamestop actually has the lowest price I can find. Everywhere else is $80 at least.

Sheesh, hell with that. I can see paying that much for a rare game from like Sega Saturn or something but no pokemon game is THAT good.

I guess I can blame nintendo for that one, since they clearly short stocked that title and mass produced all the others.

• @ZyloWolfBane I wonder about that. It is the first generation on the DS, so it is the oldest game that works with the pokebank (I believe).

All subsequent pokemon games cost $50 at least, even used maybe $45.

• @Stormcrownn said in Would you drive 2 hours to get Pokemon SoulSilver?:

@ZyloWolfBane I wonder about that. It is the first generation on the DS, so it is the oldest game that works with the pokebank (I believe).

All subsequent pokemon games cost $50 at least, even used maybe $45.

Only other one I can see that didn't get mass produced is B&W2, I think. Heart Gold and Soul Silver were just much less so it seems, the price for those is so much higher than any semi modern Pokemon title.

• You'll pretty much spend the difference in gas and potential tolls. Even more if you don't pack lunch.

Along with putting additional wear and tear on the car your using. So you'll be better off nabbing the $80 copy. As for me, I'm not into the Pokemon games anymore so I wouldn't have done it. It would take a really great deal, like at least a savings of $500+. For me to make a 5+ hour trip like that. Keeping in mind that you'll have to stop for gas, food, rest, potential traffic, drive both ways. And purchasing said item.

• @-Jak- said in Would you drive 2 hours to get Pokemon SoulSilver?:

You'll pretty much spend the difference in gas and potential tolls. Even more if you don't pack lunch.

Along with putting additional wear and tear on the car your using. So you'll be better off nabbing the $80 copy. As for me, I'm not into the Pokemon games anymore so I wouldn't have done it. It would take a really great deal, like at least a savings of $500+. For me to make a 5+ hour trip like that. Keeping in mind that you'll have to stop for gas, food, rest, potential traffic, drive both ways. And purchasing said item.

That's what I was thinking, this is the peak of summer on most regions, gas is at or nearing $3/Gal. You'd spend more than you'd save in the long run.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Would you drive 2 hours to get Pokemon SoulSilver?:

No thanks, I'll play my original Gold/Silver carts instead.

Dead batteries, unless you've wiped your old save to change them.

@Haru17 Opinions. Remember, every Pokemon has fans.

For people complaining about the price of HG/SS. It comes with a special peripheral, the Pokewalker. It's also a very nice game that holds up, and the only game in the series still to feature Pokemon following the player with the exception of just Pikachu in Yellow and select areas with select Pokemon in the other Gen 4 games. It's not that everyone is gauging the price for them. There's just a higher demand than the supply.

• @Mbun Yes, and this thread asked posters a direct question. You might even say it asked their opinion.

• @ZyloWolfBane - Road Trip Notes! Gas is under $2 where I live. (IOOOWAAAA). No tolls in the entire state, and about $16 in gas total, with 1 hour 30 minutes one way. Although I definitely did the math on it, and it ended up being 3 hours of my time to save single digits of cash. I did use to travel across the midwest (and further), often 10+ hours of driving straight away. Always in one sitting without rests, so long road trips are pretty easy to me. Gas Station food in the midwest is pretty baller, gotta say. (Fresh pizza, soft pretzels, burgers, lots more) Would always just stop on the way out of town and fill up and then eat again. Anything 2 hours and under we wouldn't bother though.

To officially report back though, ended up finding Soul Silver at a local game store for $70, as well as White 2 for $35. Only 40 minutes away! Also put in an order for Platinum and White 1, just to complete my set.

And yeah, my lesson was definitely learned that pokemon games only rise in value over time. That was partially why I just wanted to get a copy now. If I ever wanted to play it in the future, it would only get worse with time.

• @Mbun said in Would you drive 2 hours to get Pokemon SoulSilver?:

@ZyloWolfBane said in Would you drive 2 hours to get Pokemon SoulSilver?:

No thanks, I'll play my original Gold/Silver carts instead.

Dead batteries, unless you've wiped your old save to change them.

@Haru17 Opinions. Remember, every Pokemon has fans.

For people complaining about the price of HG/SS. It comes with a special peripheral, the Pokewalker. It's also a very nice game that holds up, and the only game in the series still to feature Pokemon following the player with the exception of just Pikachu in Yellow and select areas with select Pokemon in the other Gen 4 games. It's not that everyone is gauging the price for them. There's just a higher demand than the supply.

I know what you're saying about the Pokewalker (I kept mine hehe) but the majority of sellers don't require people to have those upon resale, so it's semi-incomplete and still expensive, just seems a bit silly.

@Stormcrownn said in Would you drive 2 hours to get Pokemon SoulSilver?:

@ZyloWolfBane - Road Trip Notes! Gas is under $2 where I live. (IOOOWAAAA). No tolls in the entire state, and about $16 in gas total, with 1 hour 30 minutes one way. Although I definitely did the math on it, and it ended up being 3 hours of my time to save single digits of cash. I did use to travel across the midwest (and further), often 10+ hours of driving straight away. Always in one sitting without rests, so long road trips are pretty easy to me. Gas Station food in the midwest is pretty baller, gotta say. (Fresh pizza, soft pretzels, burgers, lots more) Would always just stop on the way out of town and fill up and then eat again. Anything 2 hours and under we wouldn't bother though.

To officially report back though, ended up finding Soul Silver at a local game store for $70, as well as White 2 for $35. Only 40 minutes away! Also put in an order for Platinum and White 1, just to complete my set.

And yeah, my lesson was definitely learned that pokemon games only rise in value over time. That was partially why I just wanted to get a copy now. If I ever wanted to play it in the future, it would only get worse with time.

Also grats! And you're a lucky bastard, california gas is a nightmare. Thankfully my car is pretty efficient, only spend about $20 every 2 weeks or so depending on how much I drive per day.