The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!

• @happygaming shoutouts to hold start for quick save. Early PS3 release and I never saw another title make saving so easy on the platform.

• I’m expecting to play Alyx later this month when it goes on sale as part of Steam Summer Sale. I finally have the space to play it properly. Really looking forward to it.

• Hopefully when the psvr2 comes out & is powerful enough to run it I'll try it then.

• Playing catch up here.

SoR4 -

Definitely want to play it one day but don't have much experience with 2D brawlers. Either way, the Huber and Ben co-sign goes a long way considering their experience with the genre.

Demon's Souls -

I feel weird only giving an HM nod to one of my all time favourite games and perhaps one of the most influential games of recent generations. Replaying it reaffirmed its greatness in my mind and I wish for "smaller" more confined action RPG games like this in the future.

The remake goes above and beyond and I think the audio is extremely underrated and feels a cut above the rest of the PS5 games I've played to add an extra layer of atmosphere. But the main takeaway from this remake is that Demon's Souls is etched in history now that it's playable on PS5 @ 4K/60. The PS3 version is still obtainable but it's different region locks, off and on servers, and an aging frame rate made it perfect for a remake and I'm glad it's mostly untouched so the game can be preserved.

HL Alyx -

Considering how cutting edge this game looks to be, I'm pretty disappointed that I don't have any means of trying it. I think an investment in a Valve Index would also involve me upgrading my PC and at that point I may as well buy a used BMW or Mercedes.

If this game is ever ported to PSVR2, I'll bite. I have living room space but I couldn't even play VR in my office if I wanted to.

This game gets an unnecessary amount of flak for being VR-only. God forbid developers make a cutting edge, ground breaking video game using new controller formats.

• For me my top 3 is pretty much interchangable. And because I put Like A Dragon at 3rd, is just nitpicking.
    Load times annoyed me a bit which is funny since it's not that much different from other games but it somehow irritated me. Another one is combat doesn't pick up until I was about 15-20h. Other stuffs are excellent so definitely worth playing it.

• @axel I think we can keep going with the list even with E3 going on.

• Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

#13. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 - 15 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Shoulderguy)
    #3: 2 (JDINCINERATOR, DIPSET)
    #4: 0
    HM: 5 (Exist 2 Inspire, HappyGaming, bam541, Lotias, Hazz3r)

Information

Release date: March 23 [US/EU]
    Developer: Vicarious Visions
    Publisher: Activision
    Genre: Sports
    Platform(s): PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• While my experience with the franchise is very limited (I THINK the one game I've played is THPS 4, and that's only because I remember only one song that was on that soundtrack), I'm happy to see the franchise be faithfully be brought back in a great way. While I'm no fan of Activision at large, the smaller support studios churning out the excellent revisits of this, Spyro, and Crash (and even a new one for the latter) is quite surprising in how fantastic they are. Until Activision comes in and demands they sacrifice to Activision's money god CoD, greatly diminishing my hope of more focus put onto these franchises.

Anyway, rant aside, while I've kind of left the part of my life where I was into skate/snowboarding behind a long time ago, it makes me feel good to know there is still so much viability to these games.

• I poured 100's of hours into the first two Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games on Dreamcast back when they first released. But since those first two games, I slowly started falling off the series for a variety of reasons. I tried to get back into the series with HD and 5 but they weren't very good, so I thought maybe I was done with skateboarding games.

When Geoff Keighley announced THPS 1+2 last year as part of Summer Game Fest, I had no idea what to expect from a Tony Hawk game in 2020. Early trailers looked promising, the warehouse demo felt great, and reviews were positive. But I still had my doubts. It wasn't until I finally started playing through THPS 1+2 myself, that I realized how awesome of a job these developers had done.

Seeing two games that I loved so much be treated with this kind of reverence, is more than I expected. I've never played a remake that nails the overall feel of the original games this well, while still improving upon basically every other aspect of those games. It's not only the best version of THPS 1 and 2, it's also one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. The only bad thing about THPS 1+2, is that it left me hungry for more. But that's not such a bad thing.

I don't know if this means the THPS series is back. I would certainly be interested in playing more remakes or a new entry. Though given the recent news that Vicarious Visions has been absorbed into Blizzard, I once again have serious doubts about the future of this franchise. Whatever happens next, I'm happy I finally had a chance to experience what I loved about the THPS in the first place.

• Honestly it would take a miracle for me to ever play HL: Alyx. I just don't have the space or money for that VR stuff, but man, being able to play it would be great.

THPS 1+2 is itself a miracle, and I still can't believe how well they nailed it. I just hope that more THPS is on the way. With VV working on Diablo, I have my doubts.

• Remakes that are faithful to the original game whilst being updated to the modern standard, Tony Hawks 1+2 Remake is a real dream and a treat for those who are nostalgic about the old THPS games, but also supremely gratifying for newcomers. It's insane how pretty much everything that made the original games great is in here whilst also managing to be just as fresh and moreish as ever. Simply spectacular.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

While my experience with the franchise is very limited (I THINK the one game I've played is THPS 4, and that's only because I remember only one song that was on that soundtrack)

Which one?

• Global Moderator

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2. I bought this on release, realised how much I absolutely SUCK at this game after not playing it for years and years. Still had a good bit of fun and made me want to pick up skateboarding in real life again, but would probably kill myself if I did. Good times!

• Tony Hawk was my first true love of Gaming. I spent countless hours playing THPS2 so it was wonderful to see Hangar and School 2 recreated in such an amazing way.

I really wish that there was more in the game that taught you the deeper mechanics of the game, like not grinding the same rail twice in a row, and other stuff that damages balance.

Otherwise, wonderful game. Will more than likely go back to it again this year.

• @oscillator TNT by AC/DC

• Tony Hawk is by far my favourite gaming series and this remaster of THPS 1+2 was so above any beyond anything I expected to the point that hope has been restored in my heart for a series that was at one point was so badly beaten down and bruised.

When Tony Hawk is at it's best, there just isn't another game like it. The flow of these levels and the combo system is unmatched action-platforming perfection. On top of that, this game had such a good art direction. Funny enough, both THPS 1+2 and Black Ops Cold War had levels that pay homage to the mall in Back to the Future, and the THPS interpretation of the classic "Mall" level was so cool to rediscovered as an abandoned mall whereas it looked like dog shit in BOCW. So it's just one example of their attention to detail in this game.

Fun fact - I am one degree of separation from a guy that did the graffiti in the Venice Beach level. He's a coworkers friend. Never got to talk to him though.

But yeah, not holding my breath for more of these games coming anytime soon, but I think the reason I "only" played this for 20-30ish hours instead of more is because I just don't like the THPS1-2 formula as much as the THPS4-THAW formula. This game made be appreciate the classic THPS objectives more but I still prefer the open world and single challenges at a time.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

@oscillator TNT by AC/DC

Hearing that song in that game turned me into a hardcore AC/DC fan. ^_^

• Cyberpunk 2077

#12. Cyberpunk 2077 - 15 points

Votes

#1: 1 (ffff0)
    #2: 1 (Brandon_Reister)
    #3: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Sentinel Beach, TokyoSlim, Hazz3r)

Information

Release date: December 10 [US/EU]
    Developer: CD Projekt Red
    Publisher: CD Projekt
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• To briefly repeat what I said in the voting thread:

"And a note about a game I won't vote for: CyberPunk 2077. I can't say, "I own a game I refuse to start until it's in a better state," without it being mega obvious, but at some point in the future I will play it. However, that won't come until we're long done."

With how Cyberpunk has had its first six months on the market (at least, all but Sony. I see what you did there @Axel ;-] ), I just don't know how long it's going to be until it gets better for me to feel comfortable in starting it. Yes, I own it, but I'll wait, however long that'll take. It may have been an honorable mention from me, maybe even it making my top four if I end up liking it, but as it stands, I probably won't know for sure what I ultimately come down on it until well into 2022 at this rate.

However, I do want to credit it for getting enough people having an enjoyable experience to have votes. And I guess that's what I want: A great first experience. It's amazing really; one of, if not THE most anticipated game in years, if not the ENTIRE generation at LEAST. Despite how it launched, it still owns two of my several overall favorite E3 moments of all time. I haven't even played the thing yet and I have quite a list of conflicting feelings about it.

• I’m pretty shocked this made the list because it has no business being here. Even on PC is was a buggy shitty headache and even when it worked, the game design felt so half baked. Swimmin in 7’s, not GOTY that’s for sure.