The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!

• Good game, not great but nice. A love letter to PS history. Fun gameplay in platforming sections but ironically I didn't like most of the different levels where you use different features of controls. They were annoying and chore to me. Catching most of the references were really satisfying. Still I can't believe how I forgot to put this in my HMs. @JDINCINERATOR I feel you.

• What a love letter to PlayStation this was. Is. <3 I just felt enormously happy all the time playing the game. Simply amazing introduction to this generation of gaming.

• Good game. I loved walking round a dark corner just to find some deep cut reference. My favourite was the Days Gone motorcycle.

• I only played Astro yesterday such a cool little game with all the invention of a Nintendo game. Hopefully Sony will give them a shot at making a full game. It definitely would have made my HM's if I'd played it sooner.

• I really loved Astro's Playroom.

I feel like people undersold how next-gen the PS5 looks and feels but booting up the PS5 UI then instantly getting into this game and seeing its high fidelity, instant world loading, and controller feedback was really something.

One thing that I feel has been missing from PlayStation as a brand since the PS4-era was just that connecting tissue to the 90s and 2000s. I know, time goes on, things change. But they carried that sort-of, Y2K future aesthetic right across multiple games and consoles from PS1 to PS3. And Astro's kinda leans into it's PlayStation roots from both aesthetics but also how the game plays. It feels modern while also playing as a game that could've easily been at home on the PS2. It leads me to believe PlayStation can recapture some of that missing magic from my childhood.

Like Axel said, almost everything in this game can be interacted with. Collect an artifact and it'll show up in your PlayStation museum. Then you can climb on the artifacts or even use them in some ways. Nothing more nostalgic than butt stomping the old PSone console to send some robots flying through the air.

And the music is phenomenal. The composer went above and beyond here. I read an article that the whole studio did a lot of back n forth feedback on the GPUUUUUU song to sort of nail the tone for the rest of the music and the overall game.

I think Astro's just firies on all cylinders and I'd love to see more of it.

Youtube Video

• @paulmci27

They recently announced that team will have bigger budget for their next game and it will be full fledged game. Really curious about it.

Btw I also completed most of the achievements in game. It was nice to spend my golds on Gashapon.

• Resident Evil 3

#10. Resident Evil 3 - 18 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (Sheria, Hazz3r)
    #3: 1 (MiserablePerson)
    #4: 1 (Tearju Engi)
    HM: 5 (Axel, paulmci27, NeoCweeny, Scotty, iboshow)

Information

Release date: April 3 [US/EU]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Survival horror
    Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• This is the one game I've seen in its entirety but have not played from 2020. And if having to rank it, I would put it 9th, a.k.a. last place on the 2020 games I've experienced. While I've become more and more endeared to Resident Evil (some entries moreso than others) courtesy of EZA, this one wasn't too bad relatively speaking when compared to the rest of the series.

For those like me who don't do horror, this is a tame game when compared to the likes of VII or 2 Remake, but I guess that scare factor really gives those games their bite. I concur with many who share the sentiment the opening hours is the game's strongest point (though I prefer it without the constant threat of Nemesis). While I don't think the lab is terrible, and the hospital is alright except for the horde-like moment, I feel the sewers and the fight once you reach the courtyard afterwards is my least favorite.

I've since gone back recently (about a month or two ago) and watched the original for the first time and I finally understand long term fans' disappointment with no Clocktower, Graveyard, or those choice moments with the either or option. It would've been neat to see those things with this modern style, but I DO like how they remixed the story (for the most part), and while the final two boss fights have some annoying mechanics, that last shot Jill delivers is quite satisfying.

Overall, it's a decent watch, but if I have order all that I've seen, I would put them like so (with updates from another thread):

2 Remake, VII, Village, 3 Remake, OG 2, OG 3: Nemesis, 4, 0, REmake, Code Veronica X, 5, 6

• I enjoyed Resident Evil 3 Remake, in some ways just as much as RE2 Remake. But overall, I felt like RE3 Remake was missing something, and it simply didn't impress me as much as some other games did in 2020. RE3 Remake is #20 of 45 on my list.

• My best friend and former roommates who has played every Resident Evil game with me and I respect his gaming opinions dearly, told me this wasn’t worth the price.

And he’s a pretty forgiving person but ultimately he said don’t spend more than $17 considering he beat it in 4 hours and it wasn’t necessarily a thrilling experience either. He liked it but felt ripped off and feeling ripped off when you’re a poor PhD student like he is just doesn’t garner much good will.

I want to play it but the last sale was still like $23 so I’m not gonna bite. He has a physical copy and quite literally lives 500m away from me but never underestimate pure laziness.

• Resident Evil isn't my thing, but 3’s lead has attracted my interest. I want to play this game, but since there are high chances I will not like it, I’m still waiting for the right price. If it will land on Game Pass that would be perfect.

• I can't see why Resident Evil 3 should be so high up on the list. It's a competent remake but I personally feel it has done more to remind me of RE2 Remake than anything else. Still there's nothing wrong with it and it's a pretty gratifying Resi but it doesn't do anything to captivate.

• @jdincinerator said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

I can't see why Resident Evil 3 should be so high up on the list. It's a competent remake but I personally feel it has done more to remind me of RE2 Remake than anything else. Still there's nothing wrong with it and it's a pretty gratifying Resi but it doesn't do anything to captivate.

I was quite disappointed with this remake, in fact I could heavily critisise it if I were to pit it against the original version. That said though, I still felt it necessary to put it high on my top 8, it's just a testament to how piss poor the year was really.
    The game was good enough for me to want to go for the platinum though.

• Well, that's my name there at number 2 with @Sheria .

I've never played the original and don't plan to. I fell in love with Jill's portrayal in this game. I loved the action pace. I really enjoyed the bossfights and the set pieces. The finale is fan-fucking-tastic.

There's much less content than 2, but I had a blast playing this game over and over. It was really fun to earn the money to unlock the various bonuses like defense coins, weapons, etc. And then the increased difficulties was a really welcome addition that was borrowed from RE7. Being able to replay the game in a harder difficulty with remixed enemies and item locations was basically like playing the game fresh again.

The biggest issue was the price. I think RE3 was worth the price if you literally played everything the game had to offer. It didn't feel like good value for money.

However, now we're over a year later? I recommend it to absolutely everyone. A rollercoaster ride of a game from start to finish.

• I also put Resi 3 on my list due the lack of better games. It's a disappointment but it's still enjoyable to play through. Not a bad game.

Astro's Playroom is pretty awesome. Fan service done right.

• Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

#9. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 18 points

Votes

#1: 1 (iboshow)
    #2: 1 (Scotty)
    #3: 1 (Jamicov)
    #4: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    HM: 4 (Shoulderguy, NeoCweeny, kindiman, Hazz3r)

Information

Release date: November 12 [US], November 19 [EU]
    Developer: Insomniac Games
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PS5, PS4

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Almost played this on PS4, but I decided to wait. I just want to be blown away the first time I play it, y'know. I think this will be my approach for most cross gen stuff to come.

• Although Spider-Man Miles Morales doesn't have as many memorable moments or boss fights as the previous game, the moments it does have are still just as awesome. Also it improves upon Spider-Man's already solid gameplay fundamentals with new added abilities.

I was lucky enough to play this game on PS5, and the smooth 60fps is such a welcome addition. It really brings the city to life when your zipping from building to building. Spider-Man Miles Morales ranked #7 of 45 on my list.

• I don't want to rehash most of my feelings I expressed back in 2018 when discussing the first game as they haven't really changed and I don't think there's anything to change them. However, the thing I want to comment on is how this game cemented the format of smaller, stand-alone games being a viable and enjoyable option for major franchises that Lost Legacy and Death of the Outsider proved.

With a lot of major games being either live-service or an ungodly time investment, it's really, REALLY nice to have games on the same level of quality in a more manageable form. While I'm unsure if the next God of War or the just announced Tiny Tina's Wonderlands will be similar to Miles Morales, the thought they could be is exciting. Sure, if they are as full sized as their predecessors of their respective franchises, I'll be stoked. But Miles Morales should be held up as an excellent example of the different ways you can focus on more characters, stories, and fun without having to give up 30 hours at a minimum.

Plus it also REALLY helps to stand alongside the previously discussed Demon's Souls as part of an excellent launch lineup (relatively speaking) of a new generation. AND, as I write this the day Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart has released, I just have jolly vibes thinking how Insomniac just hasn't missed in ALMOST a decade.

• Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales is my #18 of 41.

I’ve played this game only recently, because Sony continues to severely overprice their games (Miles has the same length as Hitman 3, but costs almost 3 times more – wtf Sony?!). And I have very mixed feelings about it. On one hand, cut scenes look very good and if you approach this game like it’s a movie, it’s an enjoyable one. On the other hand, everything that involves playing the game is much worse (except maybe a couple of stealth challenges – they are good puzzles). Environment is dull – you can go across the map and see exactly the same buildings (and they also look last-gen). Traversal & combat were serviceable, but not fun. Open-world activities are barebones, and you can 100% the game in 8 hours, which isn’t enough.

In short, Miles Morales is a game that’s worth watching on YouTube (preferably, cut scenes only), but not buying. Maybe it worth renting if you really love Spider-Man.