The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!

• Although Spider-Man Miles Morales doesn't have as many memorable moments or boss fights as the previous game, the moments it does have are still just as awesome. Also it improves upon Spider-Man's already solid gameplay fundamentals with new added abilities.

I was lucky enough to play this game on PS5, and the smooth 60fps is such a welcome addition. It really brings the city to life when your zipping from building to building. Spider-Man Miles Morales ranked #7 of 45 on my list.

• I don't want to rehash most of my feelings I expressed back in 2018 when discussing the first game as they haven't really changed and I don't think there's anything to change them. However, the thing I want to comment on is how this game cemented the format of smaller, stand-alone games being a viable and enjoyable option for major franchises that Lost Legacy and Death of the Outsider proved.

With a lot of major games being either live-service or an ungodly time investment, it's really, REALLY nice to have games on the same level of quality in a more manageable form. While I'm unsure if the next God of War or the just announced Tiny Tina's Wonderlands will be similar to Miles Morales, the thought they could be is exciting. Sure, if they are as full sized as their predecessors of their respective franchises, I'll be stoked. But Miles Morales should be held up as an excellent example of the different ways you can focus on more characters, stories, and fun without having to give up 30 hours at a minimum.

Plus it also REALLY helps to stand alongside the previously discussed Demon's Souls as part of an excellent launch lineup (relatively speaking) of a new generation. AND, as I write this the day Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart has released, I just have jolly vibes thinking how Insomniac just hasn't missed in ALMOST a decade.

• Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales is my #18 of 41.

I’ve played this game only recently, because Sony continues to severely overprice their games (Miles has the same length as Hitman 3, but costs almost 3 times more – wtf Sony?!). And I have very mixed feelings about it. On one hand, cut scenes look very good and if you approach this game like it’s a movie, it’s an enjoyable one. On the other hand, everything that involves playing the game is much worse (except maybe a couple of stealth challenges – they are good puzzles). Environment is dull – you can go across the map and see exactly the same buildings (and they also look last-gen). Traversal & combat were serviceable, but not fun. Open-world activities are barebones, and you can 100% the game in 8 hours, which isn’t enough.

In short, Miles Morales is a game that’s worth watching on YouTube (preferably, cut scenes only), but not buying. Maybe it worth renting if you really love Spider-Man.

• @ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

Miles has the same length as Hitman 3, but costs almost 3 times more

Huh? Hitman 3 is full price, and Miles is less than that.

• Ahh dang it another game I stupidly left out of my top 8-maybe I rushed the whole shebang or maybe a top 8 is not enough. Miles Morales is just bloomin amazing at being a digestible open-world-as huge and terrific as it is comfortably sizeable. It's arguably better than the 2018 Spidey as well which is absolutely absurd but perhaps it isn't because maybe Miles Morales is just that damn good.

• Miles won me over so nicely in this. Man, what a great game! On PS5 everything's just super smooth, too. The world, the Spidey universe Insomniac is building with these games warms this Spidey fan's heart to the max.

• @axel said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

Huh? Hitman 3 is full price, and Miles is less than that.

Tell that to Sony please. Here's how it's priced in my region (launch day prices):
    Hitman 3 (PC) - 1599 Rub ($22)
    Hitman 3 (PS5) - 4199 Rub ($58)
    Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales standard edition (PS5) - 4299 Rub ($60)

• Weirdly just couldn't get into miles I beat it but I literally sat on the last mission for months before quickly beating it before trading it in for Re8.

Maybe its just from comparison to the movie or that I never got all that attached to miles and his journey with his friends.

• @ffff0 That is weird.

0_1623499274455_Screenshot_20210612_085941_com.scee.psxandroid_edit_1379042089652072.jpg

0_1623499296491_Screenshot_20210612_085919_com.scee.psxandroid_edit_1379015617850513.jpg

• Personally, I think Miles has the same issue as Resident Evil 3. It’s very short considering the price, and there’s not a lot of content to play. I got the platinum extremely quickly.

I love the way they’ve magically transformed the city in key places, like Harlem other places.

I also love the effort made to make Miles feel separate to Peter. From the animations to the character to the costumes.

My biggest criticism is that this game feels like it’s not necessarily trying to tell a good story. The purpose of the game feels like it exists purely to get Miles to a certain point ready for the eventual Spiderman 2.

It doesn’t make it bad by itself, but I can’t help but think this game would have been more at home as the Act 1 of the true sequel.

• @el-shmiablo Did you know that in my region digital versions of PlayStation and Switch games cost about $10 more than physical versions? Welcome to Russia, I guess.

• @ffff0 Wow that is wild. I don't even pay tax on digital purchases.
    Except on the Nintendo store for some reason.

• @el-shmiablo

How does Sony get away with that? I mean, I’m not complaining. I miss when Steam didn’t have tax either. But they’ll probably need to charge taxes soon right?

——

Miles came with my PS5 along with Spider-Man Remastered. So I played it in order starting with the original game. I liked the original game but wasn’t in love with it.

Miles is actually a better game imo but I was a bit burnt out on Spider-Man and quit after 4ish hours. So I’ll finish it eventually but I just wasn’t feeling it at the time.

Visuals in both Miles and SM:R are about the same which is a testament to how great the remaster is. I couldn’t imagine playing this game in less than 60fps. Just so smooth.

• @ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

@el-shmiablo Did you know that in my region digital versions of PlayStation and Switch games cost about $10 more than physical versions? Welcome to Russia, I guess.

Not much different in Aus,

Most physical stores have ps5 games for 100-110aud (80-85usd tax included) but digital is 125(95usd)last gen the difference was usually more at 70-80 physical vs 99 digital.

Pretty sure my physical ps5 has already payed itself off.

Kinda annoying usd the Aus dollar is doing quite well compared to America right now so we're paying out the arsequite a bit.

• Resident Evil 3 Remake

Still didn't finish it, that's is one of the reasons why I put it in HMs. But I love these remakes modernisation of very old games. If Capcom just release every RE game ever in this engine with this mechanics, I'm more than happy with the whole thing. Recently I finished RE2 remake again and RE7 for the first time. Before I meet the vampire mommy in RE8 I want to finish RE3 remake hopefully. Also RE4 remake is my true wish from Capcom E3 show.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Good side game for the players who liked original game. New mechanics are fun, Miles is more likeable than og game(still not as much as movie version), story has its moments(especially ending) and good pacing most of the time, snowy setting is great(I just love snow in games), set pieces are awesome(even though they are few).

I have two gripes about it: Before the final mission 1-2 more missions would benefit the story very effectively. Another thing is

Prowler

is so inferior in this comparing the movie.

Side missions gave me the impression that they tried to improve them, there were more story based side missions but probably those attempts will be much better in the proper sequel.

@ffff0

Did you %100 the whole game in 8 hours!? How?

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons

#8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 22 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Phbz)
    #2: 2 (DemonPirate, THECapedCaper)
    #3: 2 (R.F. Switch, kindiman)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (JDINCINERATOR, Jamicov, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: March 20 [US/EU]
    Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Social simulation
    Platform(s): Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Never get the appeal of this game. If I have to play something similar The Sims always attracted me more.

• This is a great game that went on to become a good game through lackluster updates. It's Animal Crossing, so naturally I love it, but I'm very disappointed with the support it has received. It's still missing series staples like gyroids or Brewster, which were never promised but feel sorely missed in a game that was intentionally shipped unfinished with the promise of later updates. This is not an inherently bad system, and there have been some cool updates, but generally they have proven to be little more than seasonal events, making it so that the base game still feels a little empty. It's still a good game, but in my opinion it doesn't have the depth of New Leaf, making it feel like a bit of a step down.

• I'm not a fan of the Animal Crossing games, I've always found it to be extremely boring and tedious. This series just isn't for me, but I'm happy for the fans who finally got the game they wanted. And I respect what AC New Horizons has meant for so many people during the pandemic. So shout out to this game for making peoples lives better!

• New Horizons doesn't do much that New Leaf didn't already do but the reason why it got a HM from me is for one simple reason-it was the game that took us away from the misery and despair of the real world and allowed us to vacation away in its virtual paradise-which is one of the most beautiful and impactful things any videogame has ever done.