The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!

• I had absolutely no plans to ever play this game but seeing it blow up on twitter seemed like the perfect companion for a lockdown and I wasn't wrong. Hundreds of hours of play time and I had to force myself to stop but by then I had managed to quit smoking and no doubt New Horizons was fundamental with its meditative pace.

As I've said here when I've finished it it's not a well designed game, when it comes to quality of life is frustrating. On the other hand it has a beautiful soundtrack and the visual style is moody in all the right ways. The passage of time is super meaningful like no other game I've played, although I can't see me enjoying this without all the pandemic free time.

One aspect that caught me by surprise was my relationship with the inhabitants of my island. I can safely say that I never felt so connected to the point that even now, months after my last time playing it, occasionally I feel bad for neglecting them and have to battle myself not to comeback. In a year we had TLoU2 this is specially significant.

Feels weird that my goty is a game I gave a 7/10 but it feels like the right choice.

• Animal Crossing was ALMOST the game that got me to buy a Switch. That moment in time, the early days of the pandemic and all, and then the beautiful reviews of the game came along. I was honestly suddenly ready to spend hundreds of euros the next morning as I was checking the prices and the opening time of my local stores here for the following morning. Like I was under some spell. Then I finally broke free right before going to bed that night. Mainly because of the money. ':)

• buying a console based solely on one game is pretty silly. should buy a console to try and play many different games in its library rather than restricting yourself to just one.

• @yoshi Forcing yourself to play more games on some system just because you own it is more silly than buying a system to play one game.

• @sentinel-beach said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

Animal Crossing was ALMOST the game that got me to buy a Switch. That moment in time, the early days of the pandemic and all, and then the beautiful reviews of the game came along. I was honestly suddenly ready to spend hundreds of euros the next morning as I was checking the prices and the opening time of my local stores here for the following morning. Like I was under some spell. Then I finally broke free right before going to bed that night. Mainly because of the money. ':)

Switch games I own:

Paper Mario: The Origami King
    Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Yooka-Laylee
    Labo Vehicle Kit
    New Pokémon Snap

Planning to buy when I can afford them:

Pokémon Shield
    Luigi's Mansion 3
    Dragon Quest XI
    Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
    Ring Fit Adventure
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

And of course, planning to buy Breath of the Wild 2 when it comes out (played BotW 1 on Wii U).

The Switch library is excellent, and I suspect Tuesday's Direct is going to give it another great boost. Skip some meals and buy it. :-)

• Yeah, the new iteration might finally do the trick. Plus, I even have a job nowadays. :)

• @ffff0

Well, it took me 15+ hours. I'm not the usual example here as I play games slower than the most but yours is still interesting.

• This post is deleted!

• @jdincinerator Wrong thread pal.

• 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

#7. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - 24 points

Votes

#1: 3 (parasitepaladin, Danjin44, Tearju Engi)
    #2: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    #3: 1 (TokyoSlim)
    #4: 1 (Crepe)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: September 22 [US/EU]
    Developer: Vanillaware
    Publisher: Atlus
    Genre: Adventure, Real-time strategy
    Platform(s): PS4

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is a story-driven game with lot's of twists and turns, lots of big reveals. Slowly discovering it's mysteries was very addicting and satisfying. It's a credit to it's great writing, art style and animation. Also a big shout out to the English voice acting. I wouldn't have been as invested, if I was just reading blocks of text the whole time.

About half of 13 Sentinels is a tower defense game and it's just okay. It also doesn't change much once you get passed the tutorial. Same map, strategy and objectives. Nothing about it is bad, but it doesn't feel as special as the narrative part of the game. Overall I still enjoyed 13 Sentinels, and appropriately ranked it at #13 of 45 on my personal list.

• The only thing I ever hear about this game is apparently the story is amazing. But again, it's the ONLY thing I hear about. It must be exceptional, as it seems to be the only praise that I see persisting. Not gameplay, not art style, not soundtrack, not anything else of the other elements that make up a game. While I don't think that's a bad thing inherently, it's odd to me. From what I remember from reviews and initial conversation (if I do correctly), sometimes the mechanics may be a barrier to that, but without first hand experience, I can't say for sure. What I CAN say, is this is not a game for me on multiple fronts. But congrats to it for making it so high on the countdown.

• One of the few games I will vote on despite not having finished. I've played a significant chunk of this game, got sidetracked by other games, and have not gotten back to it - that being said - I can clearly see it's an excellent game. It's not "challenging" in a mechanical or skill requirement sense, which means that it's basically a fantastic game for people to casually pick up. It's story is fascinating and unique, and though I'm not sure how it wraps up - I'm invested. Despite what Brannox posted above me, I really think that the art style and soundtrack are also great. :p

It's not like Persona 5 Royal or anything, but it's coherent and immersive.

I think that when I get around to finishing this game, it might move up on my list, but as is - it's the third best game I played last year.

• Without any spoilers, can someone tell me if the tone of this game is closer to Gundam, or Evangelion?

• @tokyoslim I didn't say they were good/bad/or anything in between. I pointed out no one talks about them, and you're legitimately the first person I've seen give their thoughts about those aspects.

• There's just something about the word "Aegis Rim" that makes me feel weird everytime I think about it.

• 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is my #19 of 41.

This game seems to have a very fascinating story. I say “seems”, because it’s ruined by one fundamental flaw: it has a lot of characters who look nearly identical and has names which looks like a long strings of random characters. I was reading and re-reading codex entries, but it didn’t help – everyone blended together and up until the credits my main thought was “Wait, who are you again and who are you talking about?” Well, at least this game made me appreciate simple names on Zero Escape and distinct character designs of Danganronpa much more.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

I pointed out no one talks about them, and you're legitimately the first person I've seen give their thoughts about those aspects.

I didn't say you said anything about their quality. I said that despite you saying that nobody talks about them, I think they are good. And I'm not the first person to say so, as the post immediately preceding yours also points out the art style as being great.

:p

• 13 Sentinels is certainly a cool little game that is hidden under the radar. If any of you are interested I'll leave the feature I wrote on Metro GameCentral below which included 13 Sentinels as an entry:
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/09/the-top-5-hidden-video-game-gems-of-2020-readers-feature-13875075/

• The hype got to me last year and I bought 13 Sentinels. Finished it, too, it was a surprisingly long game. No right to place in my top spots, though. Wouldn't say the story is amazing or unforgettable. Just super scifi and convoluted. Multi-layered. "3.6 Röntgen... not great, not terrible."