The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!

• Kinda disappointed that an Assassin's Creed game outscored such a charming turtle.

• Banned

@phbz I was honestly a bit surprised when his turtle didn't break the NPD top 20 for the year.

• There's still hope for a cameo in TMNT: Shredder's Revenge this year!

• I'm really looking forward to checking out Valhalla. I went to the University of York and know the City really well, so looking forward to seeing what Jorvik looks like.

But, I have Odyssey to play first.

• Banned

@hazz3r Straight up my dude, unless you are very interested in Greek history and mythology, I recommend a hard pass.
    I've got about 40 hours on the clock, about another 40 ahead of me if I want to finish the game, and honestly can't force myself to keep going, and my dad used to tell me old Greek fables for bedtime stories.

• @el-shmiablo I hear you, but I've played every single mainline AC. Despite my backlog it's one of my all time favourite series, and Origins didn't change that. I'm well aware of the length, but I'm planning on playing it with my Partner so even if it's a long one, it's not time wasted.

• @hazz3r I've 100% Odyssey and all its DLCs twice. 158 hours first time and 121 hours second time. And I've enjoyed all of it. So if you don't feel like skipping it, I think you should not.

• I really do want to try AC Valhalla and get back on the AC train. Everything people have said about the revamped series around these forums has me super intrigued. But I’ve just been playing other games lately and don’t want to buy a game I’m not ready to make time for.

It looks like the series is in good hands again though.

• Banned

@hazz3r I feel the same way my dude. I played Origins and absolutely loved every second of it, but something about Odyssey just lacks the soul that I experienced in previous games.

• I do love my ACs, so Valhalla ended up getting an HM. Not the best AC in any regard, but the whole package is still very enjoyable to play and witness.

• Before getting started on Assassin's Creed, I just wanted to say it bums me out we couldn't get enough for a top 25. I guess I shouldn't be surprised due to the pandemic, or perhaps list fatigue, or something else entirely, but still, it's a downer.

But onto Valhalla. Assassin's Creed is a franchise that just hasn't clicked for me. I've beat three of them and it just hasn't been something that I'm fond of. And ever since it exploded in size with Origins, it's appeal has diminished. These games are just too massive for me, and despite what I've heard in there being less emphasis on it, the present day stuff is still a major turn off. Still, all the more power to it for how successful it is. I do like the settings of Ancient Egypt, Greece, and England (the latter two especially), but from what I've been told, the stories also aren't for me either.

• @brannox I think it was a pretty weak year in terms of quantity of notable games (probably because of corona).

Add to that the still ongoing massive shortage of next gen console.

• @neocweeny I agree regarding your second point as I STILL can't purchase a PS5 to save my life. I have had a UNIQUE way of being denied for each retailer I've tried. That said, Demons Souls and Spider-Man: Miles Morales are standouts from around that time.

But to your first point, I actually disagree. There's actually a really solid slate of games that came out, both high-profile and under-the-radar, and in terms of "traditional" AAA and indie. Valhalla only being 20th is exciting to me, because while it may not be my thing, it's still a good game, meaning there is at least 19 others that stood out as much, if not more. That said, each year for each person is so variable. For example, I actually don't think much of 2018, despite it having one of my absolute favorite games ever.

• I want to play Valhalla but Origins kinda traumatized me. At first loved it but by the end I was drained and joyless.

• If I had made it further in AC Valhalla it would probably be in my top 4. The world is so rich, and often reminds me of RDR2 in its density and vastness. I also prefer the combat over Odyssey, which felt waaaaay too splashy for me (though I still love Odyssey regardless).

In many ways the game feels like the perfect symbiosis of old and new Assassin's Creed. The story reminds me much more of the old games, finally returning to the classic Assassins v. Templars conflict, and there are little things in gameplay that return as well, like trying to blend into crowds, and just the general stealth mechanics as a whole. However, it is still similar to the new games. The RPG-esque leveling and gear system, the combat, and the massive, beautiful open-world that is a joy to explore. It's the best of both worlds.

Like I said I'm not very far into it, but if it continues being as fun and intriguing as it is, I think it may end up being a perfect AC game

• I haven't even cracked open my copy of Valhalla yet. I honestly do not find the setting and setup nearly as appealing or interesting as Odyssey, but I'll play it at some point down the road regardless.

Top tier terrapin at #21 though, and I have zero context as to what any of that is about. :)

• The thing about the modern AC games for me is that they just don't feel like games about assassins. I just want stealth focused games, and I know that there's always been a decent amount of action in these games, but they seem to drift further from it as it goes. I guess when I see a game called Assassin's Creed, I want something that plays like Aragami or Tenchu. Speaking of the old games, they're are on sale rn, and I'm really tempted to give them a try since I only played III and Black Flag before.

• Banned

@bam541 I highly recommend the Ezio trilogy. I played 2 and Brotherhood back to back last year and they still hold up incredibly well imo. By far the most interesting protag of the entire series imo.

• Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition

#19. Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition - 8 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (Phbz, MiserablePerson)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: January 28 [US/EU]
    Developer: Cardboard Computer
    Publisher: Annapurna Interactive
    Genre: Point-and-click adventure
    Platform(s): Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    Easy Update

• Over the years, I only sparsely heard about KRZ from time to time. It seemed like I saw one or two people rave about it, then not hear about it again for months if not years. But with it not being as widely known, plus hearing how each portion was different in several ways, it wasn't a game that I ever could remember or recall. With the all in one package put out on consoles, it corrected that, as, like with most episodic games, their biggest structural flaw is all that time in between. I like the fact this game is Weird and does different things, but alas, too weird for my tastes. But the more diverse games there are, the healthier gaming as a whole is. And I'm all for that, because creativity leads to some amazing stuff.