The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!

• @sheria God, if Nioh 2 gets that high I would be so happy for it. I don't think it's showing up on this top 20 at all.

I predict FF7R 1st place, followed by TLOU Part II (2nd), Hades (3rd), Ghost of Tsushima (4th) and Ori Will of the Wisps (5th).

• Yeah, four and five I wasn't really sure about. I completely forgot about Hades though.

• @bam541 I couldn't vote for Nioh 2 or DOOM Eternal because I hadn't finished/started them by the time voting closed. I think Nioh 2 would have been my #2 or 3 If I had been finished them sooner.

• Banned

I think Hades and TLOU2 are going to Duke it out for the 1 spot.

• @brandon_reister I'm in a situation similar like you, I would have probably voted for it if I got a bit farther, I'm just not good enough at the game, lol.

• @sheria said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

My predictions for the remaining 5

5 Crash Bandicoot 4
    4 Nioh 2
    3 Ghost of Tsushima
    2 Final Fantasy VII Remake
    1 The Last of Us Part II

Sadly the real GOTY 2020 is out. Doom Eternal.

• @b-cell Did you vote?

• ok quick catch up

animal crossing- played it every day for a week missed a day and never went back, i can see the appeal but those types of games rarely hold my attention for long,

13 sentinels: the game i most wanted to start before voting still havent started it at this point but i expect to love alot of it.

DOOM Eternal- my second place i enjoyed this so much more the DOOM 2016 if mostly for so much more level variety, which ive slowly realised is a big aspect of games i love, is just level variety and progression, maybe why i bore of alot of open world games.

• I played DOOM Eternal immediately after DOOM 2016 and it was still fresh. The slight tweaks to the mechanics, monster difficulty/behavior, and level design made DOOM Eternal stand out. I was surprised with how much fun I had playing both of these games back-to-back. One thing I appreciate about both games, is that they have a nearly perfect difficulty curve. Neither game is incredibly difficult on normal, but they both kept me on my toes at all times and introduced interesting challenges consistently.

• Hades

#5. Hades - 32 points

Votes

#1: 3 (Brandon_Reister, R.F. Switch, THECapedCaper)
    #2: 2 (Crepe, Capnbobamous)
    #3: 2 (Axel, Nimbat1003)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (JDINCINERATOR, VicRattler, Jamicov)

Information

Release date: September 17 [US/EU]
    Developer: Supergiant Games
    Publisher: Supergiant Games
    Genre: Roguelike, Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Switch, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Following the progression of how Hades came to be via the NoClip series gives me an odd sense of unearned pride of knowing about a game LONG before it hit the incredible popularity and success that it reached. It being playable in Early Access as an Epic Games Store exclusive the night it launched (a.k.a. the same night Hades was unveiled at the Game Awards in 2018), shows how well Supergiant just crushed it with implementing community feedback and their own ideas.

While Greek mythology is an interest of mine, the rouge-like genre just doesn't do it for me. That said, I'm happy to see it garner so much success. The voice acting and music are incredible (Shout outs to Logan Cunningham and Darren Korb) and now with the just recently announced ports coming to Xbox and Playstation in a couple of months, even more people are going to try it out, which I really feel will do both Hades AND Supergiant wonders. Granted Supergiant only trailed another soon-to-be-revealed game on this countdown in GOTY nominations and awards, so I think Supergiant is doing just fine.

• I'm normally not a fan of rogue-likes, it's one of my least favorite genres. But I've been a fan of Supergiant Games since Bastion so I gave Hades a chance, and I'm happy I did. I enjoyed my time with it's smooth fluid combat, well-written story and that unique art style that Supergiant is known for. And also the soundtrack is a 10.

I was eventually able to complete an escape, but I barely scratched the surface of what's in Hades. There are different items and abilities that I never used. And I still want to play more to reveal more of the story, even though I already know how it ends. Hades ranked #16 of 45 on my list.

• Hades is my #28 of 41.

I love art style and just general style of Supergiant Games. But Hades is a roguelike and I hate when games waste my time. So, I was very hesitant with this game and unfortunately my fears turned to be true: this game has too much repetition to be enjoyed.

Initially I liked it. After a couple of hours, I’ve got to the third world, and it was fun. However, the further I went, the more I realized that replaying first sections is pointless. You pick the same weapon and a boon at the start and then you only need health and boon upgrades, which you will get in roughly the same amount during each run. Dialogs are too sparce to get you invested in characters and one strategy works for all enemies. When I got to the world 4 and died, I realized that I don’t want to keep playing.

But I have a rule: if I buy a game, I finish it (this rule keeps me away from impulse purchases). So, I fired up trainer, quadrupled my damage output and kept playing. This helped me to beat the game but turns out I need to do it 9 more times to see the credits. I’ve grinded those and did my final run without a trainer, but again, repetition took out all the fun.

So yeah, Hades has amazing art style and art design, but it asks player to repeat the same steps too many times and becomes a slog long before you reach the credits.

• I enjoyed Hades way more than I expected, and don't let the roguelike moniker scare you: I'm also not into that genre at all, but Hades takes away all the things I dislike about roguelikes and turns them into strengths.

The narrative structure and progression are so finely tuned that you'll always have something to look forward to at the end of a run, to the point where I never got frustrated upon dying, but rather excited to spend my resources, talk to everyone, unlock a new skill, etc.

It ends up feeling close to a more traditional action-RPG, and it plays beautifully, every weapon is viable (I ended up beating the game with my least favourite weapon that I just wanted to try out, never expected to go all the way), there's an endless amount of builds and strats...

There are so many clever ideas and systems, it's a masterpiece of game design as a whole.

Even if roguelikes traditionally put you off, I strongly recommend you give it a shot.

• The only reason I haven't played Hades yet is that I want to play the PS4 version. I want to play this on a big screen, man. Everything I have seen from this game is just right up my alley, particularly the story/lore stuff, and I'm excited to give it a try. I also love roguelikes even though I never finished one, so I'm curious to see whether this game's take on the genre is enough to make me want to fight through it all.

• Yeah once it comes to Gamepass I'll play it. It's the kind of game that just by looking at it doesn't quite click but hopefully it's one of those that once I start playing will win me over.

I felt a little underwhelmed by Dead Cells so I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I'm like 85 % sure I'll pick up Hades in August on PS5. The roguelike nature is the biggest hurdle and/or question mark in the game for me, and already here there are points for and against that. I'll need to watch some reviews and gameplay videos before my purchase decision.

• I am not very good at Hades but the art style and the combat are fantastic to such an extent that I don't care. It doesn't matter how much I die in Hades I just want to keep playing and when the game makes you feel more powerful after every demise-it really encourages you to keep plundering its depths. Just a fantastic roguelike-a genre I don't really like and Hades makes me feel totally enamored with it.

• I loved Doom 2016 but Eternal was a let down. If I played more games in 2020 it probably wouldn't have made my list.

• I've played a few hours of Hades so far. The furthest I've gotten is Elysium. Rogue-Likes aren't really my jam so I find it a little hard to stay committed (I've started playing FF7 Original now) but I really like how quickly and easily you start to improve your character.

Honestly I'm not grabbed by the story at all and I'm here mainly for the gameplay, but the graphical style is great :)