The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!

• Catching up. Work been busy.

Thanks @Axel for taking the time to organize our 2020 GOTY.

No surprises here, but I didn't expect the photo finish. I wasn't sure if TLOU would be Top 5 or Top 2 because of the plot devisiveness, but clearly it doesn't matter around here.

My list:

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake
    2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 Remastered
    4. Astro's Playroom

HM: Yakuza: Like A Dragon, The Last of Us Part II, Crusader Kings III, Demon's Souls

When it was announced, I thought Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 would be my GOTY. The game really is amazing, but I think despite it going above and beyond, other games went more above and more beyond my expectations.

FF7 Remake has no business being as great as it is. Charming is an overused word, but the game had me charmed by the characters and the overall vibe. It was a shining light in a pretty bad and depressing year.

I'm in the camp of people that was a bit underwhelmed by TLOU Pt II. It is objectively improved upon the original in every way whatsoever, but I am not super into zombie post-apocalypse fiction and TLOU2 stretched me too thin. I did hit a point where I cared a little less about the characters and outcomes, which then made certain parts of the game like platforming through a zombie infested hotel feel like a slough.

I think this might the first time I didn't vote for the Naughty Dog game as GOTY, but it needed to be an HM based on how very few games do what TLOU 2 does.

• Best camera blocking in a video game of all time
    • Best animation in a video game of all time
    • One of the few games that adapts from action combat (both shooting AND melee), to stealth, and back.
    • Some of the best art direction, overall graphics, performance, and physics in a console game of all time

The list goes on... well deserved GOTY, just not my GOTY.

• Ah, no one else voted for BPM: Bullets Per Minute.

As someone who's not super keen on Rogue-likes, I adore this game.

I feel like the trailer sells what the game is really darn well.

It's coming to consoles this year! Don't skip it!

Youtube Video

• @Lotias Hall of Fame?

• Global Moderator

@shoulderguy Yeah coming up! :D

• Late to the party like most of the time. Here it goes:

Hades
    Even though I'm not into the genre, can't wait to try this one out. Just the thing about storytelling erase some of my concerns about roguelikes but need to finish other titles from the dev before this one just in case.

Ghost of Tsushima
    Still didn’t get the chance to play it but I was never hyped about it at any stage so my expectations are not very high for this even though most of you guys seem to like it enough to put it in 4th place.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    Never felt that it is amazing, incredible or awesome. My thoughts about the first game was like that too even though sequel is better for sure. Amazing art design, nice soundtrack, above average level design, boring combat, repetitive chase sequences, awful sound glitches. It was a good metroidvania and succesful indie, that's it.

Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Another example of an awesome remake for an old game. I am not far into the story yet but just with what I saw I can easily understand why it’s beloved. My main concern for right now is some dialogues and reactions feel odd. Maybe it’s a JRPG thing. Also please put real time combat decision in every turn-based game from now on!

The Last of Us Part II
    One of the all time favourites of mine. Can’t believe how painful it was to play through that story but in a good way. Game’s greatest strength is forcing player to do something but with time making player adapt to it in a satisfying way. Still feel that first game is a bit above of this one but with great performances, awesome gameplay, technical magic and some really good tracks this is a masterpiece and a game to remember for years. Until Naugty Dog’s next, this is the one as good as it can get.

• @Axel Community Showcase post is up if you're interested.

• Youtube Video – [41:22..]

The Community Showcase, timestamp where they talk about our GOTY.

• @scotty I really would like to give Will of the Wisps a go but I do get the sense that it might be a little too highly praised despite how beautiful and serene it is. Ori and the Blind Forest is pleasant but certainly became annoying at times too.

• @jdincinerator Will of the Wisps is better than the first game in every way, in my opinion. The checkpointing doesn't require you to spend energy anymore so that annoyance is gone, and traversal is so fluid and enjoyable.

• @jdincinerator

Like I wrote: It's definitely better than the first but too highly praised is a good observation, don't forget it before you start the game.

• @jdincinerator I don't know how you can say a game might be too highly praised if you've never played it. This is internet culture all over. Everyone seems to have an opinion on something they know nothing about. Try it and if you feel that way after fair enough, but trying to get your opinion validated based on nothing is just shallow and egotistical.

• @paulmci27 It was a sense I'm not saying that's definitely the case at all. I'm not getting my opinion validated either because I don't know as you say I haven't played Will of the Wisps. Do you think its worth skipping the rest of The Blind Forest and just diving into Will of the Wisps?

• @jdincinerator Maybe I came on a bit strong. Give it a go whats the worst that can happen. Its definitely not as challenging as Forest, its a much better game all over. If you enjoy challenging but fair platformers can't see why anyone wouldn't like it.