The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!

• I'm pretty sure Yakuza: Like a Dragon would have ended up at least as one of my HMs if I played it, but last year I played through Yakuza 3, 4, 5, 6, so I had to take a break from the series to make sure I would enjoy it to its fullest when I finally got to it. Also I was waiting for the PS5 version.

Sorry fellow Yakuza enthusiasts, I let you down!

• Yakuza: Like a Dragon was my favorite game to watch on Twitch last year.

I, pretty much, have the first five games in canon but have yet to play any of them. I really need to set aside some time for them lol.

• Banned

@crepe If you play Zero until you beat the first boss, I guarantee you'll be hooked.

• Like A Dragon is fantastically entertaining and it's got all that insane nonchalance that makes the series so compelling. To think that Yakuza games pack in so much entertaining and humorous content, it's really hard to want to play anything else that's more serious.

• Well what the fuck. Honestly. Number 17?? You've had six months to play it by now. I did so in April and fell in love with the game.
    What a disappointing result from this community. :[

• @sentinel-beach said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

Well what the fuck. Honestly. Number 17?? You've had six months to play it by now. I did so in April and fell in love with the game.

I know I've had a long time to beat it but I still haven't unfortunately. I am, however, replaying it on PS5 and I'm up to Chapter 6.

Basically, playing a long ass JRPG after work at the same desk I work at all day was just a complete no-go. Glad I'm finally finishing it right now on PS5.

So I could only give Y:LAD an HM nod but I honestly don't know how much higher it could've gone. I love a lot about LAD but I also feel like a lot of stuff is showing it's age.

• Ichiban Kasuga and his supporting cast (party) are the best crew in Yakuza so far.

• I love that the tone of the game is consistently more whimsical because Kasuga is more whimsical himself when compared to Kiryu. This makes sub-stories and other side activities kinda make more sense.

• The battle system is really solid and I love the idea of moving around the environment, but it could use more objects and interactions.

• The JRPG battle system compliments the "dungeon raid" type levels that were a bit of a drag in older entries.

• This game is completely meta and I appreciate how much it leans into it's videogameness.

• Sujidex is the greatest thing ever.

alt text

Dislikes

• Battles start to feel samey/way too many random encounters. Less picking up objects and smashing people. More regular attacks. Environment could be used a little more for dynamic battles.

• Engine is showing it's age. On both PC (1440/60) and PS5 (1440/60 or 4K/30) the day time really lacks contrast and the world looks flat. Night time still looks great, but this engine really feels old compared to when we first saw it.

So despite loving this game, I can't argue it's GOTY like I can with the others. It was a step but not necessarily a step up. I still recommend people play it and if you prefer JRPGs to brawlers, this game has surprisingly deep RPG mechanics that compliment some pre-existing Yakuza features better than they did in the past (i.e. eating for stats, personality traits for attack boosts, etc).

• I tried my best with Zero, several times, and I just can't. Like a Dragon I think I'll eventually give it a chance if it comes to Game Pass, since the combat seems much more interesting. My biggest concern is that I've heard from several people complains about being too grindy and that's something that nowadays immediately kills any enthusiasm I might have towards a game.

But I have no doubts it's a great game for fans. Kinda surprised that sits so low.

• @el-shmiablo Noted. TIme to schedule the PTO's lol

• @sentinel-beach said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2020!:

Well what the fuck. Honestly. Number 17?? You've had six months to play it by now. I did so in April and fell in love with the game.

I did my part. Lol

• Streets of Rage 4

#16. Streets of Rage 4 - 12 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (parasitepaladin, El Shmiablo)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (THECapedCaper)
    HM: 2 (Brandon_Reister, robert7lee)

Information

Release date: April 30 [US/EU]
    Developer: Dotemu, Lizardcube, Guard Crush Games
    Publisher: Dotemu
    Genre: Beat 'em up
    Platform(s): Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Streets of Rage 4 is my #38 of 40. It's a two-hour game, yet it feels like an eternity. Your character walks extremely slow, you have to kill all filler enemies just to go forward and then (surprise!) fight more filler enemies. Maybe such game design was appealing in early 90s, but today such lack of player's freedom feels severely outdated. Also, enemies can go beyond screen border, but you can't - why?! Why player is more limited than a regular thug?
    At least it has some nice music.

• Streets of Rage was one of my favorite old Sega Genesis franchises when I was a kid. And Streets of Rage 4 certainly lived up to my expectations. It delivered in both presentation and gameplay, and I couldn’t be happier with how it all came together. Streets of Rage 4 is #14 out of 45 on my list.

• @ffff0 Have you got a complete list of your top 36 somewhere? I recall you put something like that on the community showcase several months back is that the top 36 you're speaking of?

• The best thing about Streets of Rage 4 is that cool retro main theme it's good. Sure the brawling is entertaining with a buddy but it can be a bit too tough even on easy-but that might be down to me being rubbish at these kinds of games. Not bad but I'd place it somewhere in the middle of all the games I played in 2020.

• @jdincinerator Yes, I have complete list and yes, I've submitted it to February's Community Showcase. Since then I've also completed "Command & Conquer Remastered Collection", "Destroy All Humans!", "Final Fantasy 7 Remake" and "Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales", and also I've decided that "3 out of 10" is a game and it also should be included. For the sake of suspense I'm not telling where they have landed... yet.

P.S. Forgot to count my recent additions, so Streets of Rage 4 is actually my #38 of 40. Sorry.

• Banned

My of my childhood was filled with repeated runs on Streets of Rage 2 and 3. I've literally be dreaming about Streets of Rage 4 for the better part of my entire life.
    When it was announced I wasn't a huge fan of the style but it has since grown on me. I was also skeptical that the defining aspect of the series, the music, wouldn't live up to the previous games because it wasn't initially announced that Yuzo Koshiro would be working on it, but the second he was all my fears were put to rest.
    If it weren't for another game releases last year, this would have easily been my top spot.

• With SoR 4 I fell victim to the Huber hype. This just wasn't my kind of game in the end. I did still beat it.

• This post is deleted!

• I haven't got around to SoR 4 yet. I'm actually planning to get one of my friends to play with me one day, it's been a long time since I play co-op with someone so I want to start with something cool.

• Like others have said here, this isn't a game/genre that I find appealing. This is primarily due to a combination of a very basic gameplay loop with little else to switch up what you're doing. It may change up enemy sprites, add some attacks, and have a solid background/music track, but this isn't something that jumps off the screen to play. However, the best thing the game needs is what it already has: Someone is who super passionate about it who can get friends involved. So Huber playing on stream with other Allies once they're back in the studio is practically a given, and we all know he can make any game a jolly time.