Tv shows/movies Watching

• @kirkking2000 Oh snap I totally forgot Limitless was getting a show. Need to check that out. I have a huge boner for the movie.

• I binged the entire first season of Mr. Robot a few weeks back and now I'm hooked. Probably the only TV show I've ever seen that uses even remotely accurate terminology when it comes to computers. Also has an amazing soundtrack and is obviously influenced by some amazing movies like Fight Club and American Psycho.

• I just started season 2 of Vikings. I almost wish E1S2 was the season finale for season 1. It's very emotional.

• @Light Right there with you, I was giggling when they were talking about Steel Mountain as Iron Mountain does a pickup at my job everyday. Little things like that really set it apart.

• I had forgot to say that I saw the new Star Trek movie it was pretty good. what's this new show everyone talks about ?

• Saw The Virgin Suicides earlier today. It's weird and weightless. I don't think it ends up saying a whole lot, but I wouldn't call it empty either. There are smaller moments of inaction that Coppola captures really well (and would continue to capture with even less eventful films). Made me want to read the novel.

• @Ringedwithtile said in Tv shows/movies Watching:

Saw The Virgin Suicides earlier today. It's weird and weightless. I don't think it ends up saying a whole lot, but I wouldn't call it empty either. There are smaller moments of inaction that Coppola captures really well (and would continue to capture with even less eventful films). Made me want to read the novel.

Funny, I just watched Lost in Translation a couple of hours ago. Kinda liked it, but it's definitely not as great as I would have thought with all the hype attached. Also, am I the only person who thinks the Johannson/Murray relationship is hell-a-creepy? She plays early 20s (although she was even younger at the time of shooting) and Murray could almost be her grandfather. Really uncomfortable.

• @babpel91 I felt the same when I saw it.. I guess it just didn't do it for me

Recently watched Capote on HBO (fantastic), Charlie WIlson's War (also very good), and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy on Netflix (very good imo, tough to follow, need to watch again)

• Watching some of the original Charlie's Angels, it's a guilty pleasure.

• Stranger Things was probably the best thing I saw this year so far on tv.

• Global Moderator

Watched Stranger Things over the weekend and bar a few early annoying character moments, I really enjoyed it.

Only thing I'll say is I wish they didn't do some of the 'set up' things for another season. I hope they don't do another season and if they do, I hope it's a completely new situation and cast.

• @tokeeffe9 Fully agree with you. Sadly, they've already announced a second season continuing the story :(

• Global Moderator

@sblomkamp that's honestly really disappointing.

• Watched Rumble Fish today. It definitely feels like post-Apocalypse Now Coppola, meaning that it's fantastical, interesting visually, and a bit hammy. There's stuff in it I really enjoy (especially the theatricality of the first act), but I didn't think that its symbolism, or even the character relationships were very well thought out. It's got a cool tone, but not one that really compliments the seriousness of the themes it's chasing.

• I watched Train to Busan last night, it's a Korean zombie movie, and it's probably the best zombie movie I've ever seen.

Amazing action, the zombies are fast and loose! Just enough light or funny situations to make you care for the characters, and some pretty intense emotional punches, I might even have shed a tear at some point! No idea if it's supposed to come out in the West anytime soon, but if you have the chance to see it, don't hesitate!

• Stranger Things was really good. The kids made that show great.
    Currently going through The Night of (HBO). So far it has been pretty good, but so much has been happening that I don't think 2 more episodes will be enough to give the show a proper ending.

• Saw Seconds for a second time. It was nice seeing it in a theater, and it was a lot easier to see what played and what didn't. Still a very interesting premise, has a banger of an opening, and it's really great seeing Rock Hudson so unhinged, but I don't think it follows through as well as it could have. It's also a bit verbose which is a bit of a drag. Still good, and a worthwhile reevaluation, even if my opinion of it remains the same.

• I felt I needed to open up my Crime Drama repertoire so I started binge watching NCIS, it's great.

• @michemagius Wow, that's quite a commitment. The only show of that size I've ever started watching (and am inching closer to completing) is ER.

I've watched the first season of The Leftovers and was utterly astounded. Really quite a work of art. But be careful, it's a deeply depressing, bleak show.

• @babpel91 Starting up classes tomorrow so it's now or never.