Is Ghost of Tsushima Overrated?

• I think the game is fairly rated. On the outside it does look like a game that could have been pushed at 9.5/10 just because, however the reviews and overall reception I have seen seem to hold the game at just about the right level.
    Yoshi bought up TLoU 2, that's a game to focus on if you want to unpack the reasons as to why a game might become overrated.

• I doubt topics like this will end well, but since we're here already...

I was super hyped for Ghost of Tsushima when it was announced, but by the time it actually released I realized it wasn't the game I was originally excited for. Thankfully Sekiro swooped in during the meantime and was the game I was hoping for out of Ghost of Tsushima, which has kind of saved me from having hard feelings about Ghost of Tsushima not living up to its potential.

That said, I hate to go here, but I can't help but notice you pulled your first quote from EDGE Magazine. I implore you to go read that publication's reviews on literally anything else. They're always like this. They consistently bring the average score of games down by lowballing them compared to everyone else. This leads me to believe they go out of their way to find things to criticize about a game that they might not actually believe themselves just for the sake of leaning into their publication's niche. So I personally wouldn't take stuff you read from them so seriously, unless it does happen to resonate with something you feel.

Last I'll say on this is yeah I do think Ghost of Tsushima is primarily held up by its visuals. Some gamers these days value the way a game looks much more than how it plays, like how interesting it is mechanically, and I don't think many would argue against Ghost of Tsushima falling on the side of visual feast with dime a dozen mechanics we've seen in many other games supporting that visual journey. The one thing I've heard people talk about from Ghost of Tsushima that might be interesting besides the visuals is quest chain structure. This might be something other open world type games could learn from Ghost of Tsushima on. End of the day, the game is what, an 85 you say? Maybe that's overrated, but not enough to get upset about. At most I'd knock it down to maybe 80-82. Still a gorgeous game with tons of content, and there's not much jank I can point to either.

So I hate to agree, but I have to back up what others have said already about The Last of Us Part II being a much, much better example of a game being grossly overrated. That's a whole explosive can of worms conversation I don't see people handling respectfully without taking it personally and pointing accusations though, so probably better not to pursue these lines of thought. Unless you want to talk about how overrated Super Mario Odyssey is! What? You love that game, and I'm a weirdo for thinking otherwise? Okay.

• @mbun said in Is Ghost of Tsushima Overrated?:

That said, I hate to go here, but I can't help but notice you pulled your first quote from EDGE Magazine. I implore you to go read that publication's reviews on literally anything else. They're always like this. They consistently bring the average score of games down by lowballing them compared to everyone else. This leads me to believe they go out of their way to find things to criticize about a game that they might not actually believe themselves just for the sake of leaning into their publication's niche. So I personally wouldn't take stuff you read from them so seriously, unless it does happen to resonate with something you feel.

I could be confusing Edge with Slant Magazine or vise versa but whichever one I am thinking of is definitely has a lot of reviews that I think are so fair that it becomes controversial. I personally think a lot of critics are way too easy on the average film and either Edge or Slant comes in with a good grounded voice and is like, "yeah... maybe these Disney live action remakes are soulless pieces of shit."

Personally find it refreshing but I honestly can't remember which is which.

• I enjoy my time with GoT but that game has too many copy & paste stuff, even duals which were fun at first become boring because it started reusing same animation and move sets over and over again.

Wind was neat idea but it moves so unnaturally that it might as well be arrow guiding you.

• @sheria said in Is Ghost of Tsushima Overrated?:

I think the game is fairly rated. On the outside it does look like a game that could have been pushed at 9.5/10 just because, however the reviews and overall reception I have seen seem to hold the game at just about the right level.
    Yoshi bought up TLoU 2, that's a game to focus on if you want to unpack the reasons as to why a game might become overrated.

Todays Third person cinematic games are nothing more than overrated. and Sony now only make third person movie games.

They now release games on PC but I dont have interested in any of thier games.

• @dipset Yeah it's slant that hate everything to a hilarious degree although Edge are a little snooty & up their own arse. As for the game being overrated id say no. I like it a little less than the metacritic but not by much. It's very well made very pretty & plays well. Not breaking any new ground but neither do 99% of Videogames. All depends on your tolerance for& if your in the mood for one of "them" games.

• No. It the praise it deserved. Does the game have flaws? Yes. But nothing too major. I loved the game for what it was, and it was one of the best open world game I actually had fun and bothered to complete in a long time. Exploring all the vistas and locations on the island was just relaxing. I can't wait for the sequel. I hope they get rid of that witness or kill a general X amount of times to unlock a new stance. That was nothing, but padding. I got lucky in unlocking all the stances early enough, because I bothered doing a lot of the side missions and destroying/capturing Mongolian camps. More weapons are good idea too.

• To me it is, just not a fan of how the different parts work together. I think a 6/10 is a fair score.

• Haven't played Sushi, but a good friend of mine considers it the best game of this generation by far, and puts it in his top 5 overall.

Also not sure why people brought up TLOU2 (Actually I'm very aware, but won't go there) other than to deflect and derail the topic, but TLOU2 is a magnificent game that improves on every single aspect of the first game massively. My only complaint was the pacing, as the game comes to a screeching halt at the midway point, but picks back up quickly enough if you push through. Other than that, it's a fantastic survival horror/stealth action game that pushes gaming forward from an artistic perspective, in my opinion at least.

• Different people, different opinions. I usually don't care about open world since I usually feel narration suffers from it(MGSV) but world design is amazing what they accomplished especially when load times were insanely fast for it and photomode rocks too.
    That EDGE reviewer just seems to be bad at these types of games or didn't understand smartly using skill points. I for one got out of this what I hoped Sekiro had given me so it scratched the itch I was feeling.
    Personally it landed where it deserved to be. Artistically it's masterful without insane details of TLoU2. The environment just is so much more interesting because artstyle they went with. It has so many soothing moments with haiku, foxes etc. etc.
    Characters were interesting enough though sadly Yuna's story was the weakest IMHO. The game gave just enough side stuff to do that it didn't overstay its welcome.
    Story only takes a small chunk like any other open world game but if a review felt nothing during their play or say it's dreadful, I question their credit in this game. Like do they expect Jin to act like happy go lucky during war times? I for sure didn't because of open worldness.