Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?

• So my dear friends. the new PREY coming next year and has potential to be one hell of the game if they done right. Hated prey 2 version that was cancelled but new prey won me over. planescape tourment writer is working on this game too so expect amazing story too. the game being inspired by system shock is huge plus for me. Im not really impressed by dishonored 2 much but for prey, Arkane has NAILED it.

alt text

after Deus Ex, System shock, Stalker. do you think this game will follow the footstep of these games?

Discuss

• From the trailer, we didn't really get much out of it.

Hard to say that it's anything special at this point, and pointing to people's legacy is always a mistake these days.

• Too early to say, all we've seen is a CGI trailer, no gameplay or details.

Dishonored 2 might be the next milestone, but I wouldn't bet on it. DE: Mankind Divided (based on what I've seen) doesn't look to push the genre forward.

• @suplextrain said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

Too early to say, all we've seen is a CGI trailer, no gameplay or details.

Dishonored 2 might be the next milestone, but I wouldn't bet on it. DE: Mankind Divided (based on what I've seen) doesn't look to push the genre forward.

knowing HR was masterpeice and MD is step forward. its safe to say it will be best game this year by far.

• @Black-Cell said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

@suplextrain said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

knowing HR was masterpeice and MD is step forward. its safe to say it will be best game this year by far.

I'm happy for you, but for me HR was a dissapointment and a step back from the original Deus Ex.
    Don't get me wrong, I have DE:MD pre-ordered but I don't think that many of the decisions that they made are for the better. This is why I don't feel it will push the genre forward.

• @suplextrain said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

@Black-Cell said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

@suplextrain said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

I'm happy for you, but for me HR was a dissapointment and a step back from the original Deus Ex.
    Don't get me wrong, I have DE:MD pre-ordered but I don't think that many of the decisions that they made are for the better. This is why I don't feel it will push the genre forward.

of course because Deus Ex 1 is greatest game of all time. but HR was step forward from invisible wars. that game was trash.

• Well, a new trailer came out, and it looks pretty generic. Doesn't even seem like there's going to be much NPC interaction.

Just run and gun by your lonesome on a spacestation filled with horrors.

• Hype through the roof. Looking incredible. Never like original prey or cancelled one but this is one of my most anticipated. We need more hybrid FPS/RPG.

• What is there to be hyped about? A CG trailer and promises?
    You must be a big Ubisoft fan.

• @Whoaness said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

Well, a new trailer came out

I hope this is a case of someone just putting together a bad trailer because the first trailer sold me way more on the game than the gameplay trailer. Can't say I'm a fan of the enemy design either.

• I think the e3 trailer was pretty cool, and that other than that we know basically nothing about the game, so I can hardly think anything of it at the moment that is not based on pure speculation

• Gameplay Trailer!
    Youtube Video

• The E3 trailer got me pretty excited to see more.. it looks like it could be an interesting sci fi game.

The new trailer was a bit generic I thought.. it hasn't lowered my interest, but it hasn't increased it either. I'd like to see a bit more of what the story could offer and some real gameplay

• @Faaip I think the type of game they are offering is one of the more challenging ones to make a trailer for.

• @Stormcrownn Yeah that's the feeling I'm getting too, that's why I'm so interested. Hopefully it'll be one that you just need to play to see where it takes you

• This post is deleted!

• Looks good. I love Bioshock and I love space. So... yeah, it looks good.

• some new info from quackcon

http://www.giga.de/spiele/prey/specials/prey-in-der-vorschau-alle-frischen-infos-zu-gameplay-story-aliens-und-gadgets-von-der-quakecon/

Story:

what we knew already: year is 2032, character Morgan Yu
    Morgan can either be male or female
    He/she is big part of private research project that works on advancing the human race
    Your home is Talos I, a research station that belongs to the company TransStar
    Talos I will be overrun by mysterious aliens
    your goals: save the station and get behind the secrets of Talos I, TransStar and yourself

Aliens:

most common enemies were called "Mimics"
    they can change into any objects: bin, coffee pot, weapon.. you have to pay attention to your surroundings
    three more aliens were visible: a humanoid melee fighter, a flying enemy and a monstrous and aggressive "alien bigfoot"

Gadgets:

gloo gun, recycle charger and neuromod were shown
    Zero G Propulsion System was briefly mentioned, no info on that though
    gloo gun shoots black stuff that allows you to glue enemies to the walls or kill them
    gloo gun's "ammunition" can also be used to build stairs or to close leaking pipes whose fountains of fire block your way
    recycle charger is a handy gadget that can be thrown and will "clean up" the area around it, it's also able to disassemble things into parts (organic or metallic components, etc.)
    recycle charger will be used to craft things with the help of blueprints
    neuromod is kinda like an augment and allows you to take on human and alien abilities, example: kinetic blast (shockwave)
    mimic ability seems the most fun: you can change yourself into any object.. even a coffee pot to hide from enemies or a metal ball to roll through a small opening
    mimic even allows you to use other abilities as well: you can turn into a coffee pot and shoot yourself up a small shaft with kinetic blast

Gameplay:

simulation, story, open world, missions
    every playthrough is supposed to be new and different
    you can either go aggressive or calm, much like in Dishonored.. Prey gives you a choice about your approach
    no big shootouts as there aren't a lot of guns on the space station
    you'll be able to explore the space station and the outer areas aka. space in general
    weapons alone won't do it, you need to be creative and also solve "puzzles"

• @Black-Cell That new info has me excited for a couple of reasons.

Survival horror. I'm super-down for a Dead Space without zombies. Astral poltergeists that can turn into objects sound neat. They said guns are rare and I'm assuming there's some kind of oxygen counter for space walks, so this could get tense.

Open world. I don't care about open worlds and in most cases I think they're actively harmful to a game's quality. However, an open world space station seems like a new type of open world. Less "bigger is better, so get walkin', chump" and more like they have to work within limits. Quality over quantity. Spacewalking around the entire game is also just cool.

Stupid Zelda bullshit. A highly technical term, what I mean by "stupid Zelda bullshit" is the kind of emergent puzzles you see in Breath of the Wild. Just tricks you can pull off with the physics and systems in place, really. The goo gun and transforming into random objects sound just really fun to mess around with. Between the skill tree, magic, and crafting system I bet there'll be a lot more to mess around with too.