Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?

• It really depends on the sales of the game. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was THAT game in 2007. We still haven't had that "revolutionary" game since then. Prey's reboot has to be a high quality AAA title - so it has to nail the controls, it has to nail the graphics, it has to nail the fun factor. It has to nail as an dynamic first person shooter.

The game needs to be innovative enough to "wow" people. But like I said, this has to be reflected by how great the game is. Call of Duty 4 was innovative, but it was reflected by controls, the gameplay feel, and all around arcade gameplay.

• This post is deleted!

• @Whoaness said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

@suplextrain I get what you mean when you say that just adding woman for the sake of adding woman isn't meaningful. I don't like how Mass Effect treats the male and female Shepard exactly the same, however, it is a start.

The problem is you can't differentiate them a lot if you want to focus on the storytelling. The more you allow the devs to define your starting character the better off the storytelling and choices presented to you during gameplay will be. This is because the devs don't have to always take into consideration all the different starting choices the player could've picked.

With genders though it is however very tricky if it is supposed to be the exact same character (like with Shepard) and make the gender actually matter or change a lot, because you would be forced to implement stuff that say only allow certain genders into certain places, some characters will hit on you if you're a man but not a woman and so on. Which in my mind is rather silly.

I think it would be better if you got to choose between 2 different characters instead with pre-defined backgrounds (that are different from ones another). For example the male called Jack Krüger is a commander that has worked his way through the ranks and has a lot of respect while the female option is called Sarah (no last name) and is a genetially modified and extensively trained in a specific program for the task the game sets for the player.
    Designing and writing the game will then becomes much easier for the devs, resulting in a better experience.

People too often forget that games are not Pen & Paper, so you cannot let the player have tons of character creation options and then expect a very reactive experience. The more options you give the players at the start during creation the less those choices will matter in the storytelling and so on.

Adding the gender option would start that conversation where female character choices would be expanded on and get more attention whereas not even having females is not going to get us anywhere. Usually these things don't get added because of money, but like I said, it's Bethesda. They made it happen with other games, there's no reason to not make it happen with this game.

As I elaborated on above, there are good ways and bad ways to implement gender options. If the one in Prey is as shallow and pointless as I suspect it falls into the bad way camp.
    Also as I said, Bethesda has implemented different genders into very different games from what I expect Prey to be. It's like saying there should be male and female options in the Hitman series because Elder Scrolls has it.

• Dunno about immersion, but Prey is fast turning into the premier pedanticism simulator...

• @Haru17 said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

Dunno about immersion, but Prey is fast turning into the premier pedanticism simulator...

If that comment was directed at me then you really didn't get the point I was making.

• @suplextrain said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

@Whoaness said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

@suplextrain I get what you mean when you say that just adding woman for the sake of adding woman isn't meaningful. I don't like how Mass Effect treats the male and female Shepard exactly the same, however, it is a start.

The problem is you can't differentiate them a lot if you want to focus on the storytelling. The more you allow the devs to define your starting character the better off the storytelling and choices presented to you during gameplay will be. This is because the devs don't have to always take into consideration all the different starting choices the player could've picked.

With genders though it is however very tricky if it is supposed to be the exact same character (like with Shepard) and make the gender actually matter or change a lot, because you would be forced to implement stuff that say only allow certain genders into certain places, some characters will hit on you if you're a man but not a woman and so on. Which in my mind is rather silly.

I think it would be better if you got to choose between 2 different characters instead with pre-defined backgrounds (that are different from ones another). For example the male called Jack Krüger is a commander that has worked his way through the ranks and has a lot of respect while the female option is called Sarah (no last name) and is a genetially modified and extensively trained in a specific program for the task the game sets for the player.
    Designing and writing the game will then becomes much easier for the devs, resulting in a better experience.

People too often forget that games are not Pen & Paper, so you cannot let the player have tons of character creation options and then expect a very reactive experience. The more options you give the players at the start during creation the less those choices will matter in the storytelling and so on.

Adding the gender option would start that conversation where female character choices would be expanded on and get more attention whereas not even having females is not going to get us anywhere. Usually these things don't get added because of money, but like I said, it's Bethesda. They made it happen with other games, there's no reason to not make it happen with this game.

As I elaborated on above, there are good ways and bad ways to implement gender options. If the one in Prey is as shallow and pointless as I suspect it falls into the bad way camp.
    Also as I said, Bethesda has implemented different genders into very different games from what I expect Prey to be. It's like saying there should be male and female options in the Hitman series because Elder Scrolls has it.

This is why I prefer the Mass Effect model vs the Skyrim/Fallout (prior to 4) type games. Yes Mass Effect doesn't differentiate too much between male and female, but there is a fairly defined personality and everything is fully voiced by Shepard. The story in Fallout and Skyrim are immediately inferior (in my eyes, so don't jump on me) because the player doesn't feel a part of the world (once again, in my eyes). You never hear them talk or interact with the world. I feel separated from the world and actually role play less. In Mass Effect, I role played more in that, what would my Shepard do in this situation? How will this impact my relationship with Miranda and Jacob, and I can see that play out in the conversations fully voiced.

• @Carlos said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

It really depends on the sales of the game. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was THAT game in 2007. We still haven't had that "revolutionary" game since then. Prey's reboot has to be a high quality AAA title - so it has to nail the controls, it has to nail the graphics, it has to nail the fun factor. It has to nail as an dynamic first person shooter.

The game needs to be innovative enough to "wow" people. But like I said, this has to be reflected by how great the game is. Call of Duty 4 was innovative, but it was reflected by controls, the gameplay feel, and all around arcade gameplay.

COD4 was not revolutionary. not even for its time. it was basically COD2 in modern skin. STALKER and Crysis also released same years.

• @Black-Cell said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

@Carlos said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

It really depends on the sales of the game. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was THAT game in 2007. We still haven't had that "revolutionary" game since then. Prey's reboot has to be a high quality AAA title - so it has to nail the controls, it has to nail the graphics, it has to nail the fun factor. It has to nail as an dynamic first person shooter.

COD4 was not revolutionary. not even for its time. it was basically COD2 in modern skin. STALKER and Crysis also released same years.

Believe what you will, but CoD4 did revolutionize the market. Tons of games tried to mimic it and to an extent they still do. CoD4 was and is a big deal.

• @suplextrain said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

@Black-Cell said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

@Carlos said in Do you think new PREY will be next milestone in FPS/RPG/immersive sim genre?:

Believe what you will, but CoD4 did revolutionize the market. Tons of games tried to mimic it and to an extent they still do. CoD4 was and is a big deal.

I know my friend, but in a wrong way. COD4 is the reason why developers ruin FPS genre last generation and every developer start copying it. utterly scripted, linear level design and based on QTE after QTE and cinematics.

Now good to see old school Shooters came back. new Doom is incredible, incredible game.

• I'm not really sure to be honest. I enjoyed the original Prey, and was really liking what they had shown for Prey 2. This game looks great but I think it's way too early to believe it will raise the bar for FPS/RPG/Sim games.

• just want to say this, the Immersive Sim genre isn't a thing, it will never be a thing, and as much as i love Huber i hate the fact that he coined that term.

now onto the game, i play a little bit of the original Prey, and i liked the native american storyline, and themes...this new Prey is just some white guy on a ship killing monsters, so that has me kinda eh on the game, and the gameplay looks like normal FPS fanfare, so the only thing that will sell me on the game is it's gimmick.

outside of that looks pretty damn dull imo.

• @KingofDMC I dunno. Deus Ex, Bethesda games, and I guess the Metroid Prime Trilogy scratch an itch that no other first-person games seem to for me. No idea if Prey falls into that, but I enjoy that kind of game.

• Banned

It'll be the next Brink.

• kinda hope they bundle it with a remaster of the original Prey lol.

• Youtube Video

So they posted another video, but only the dev commentary is really new. I didn't think this would be a historical fiction game: the premise is that Kennedy survived assassination and the space program really took off. Perhaps a bit of a stretch but, hey: there's space ghosts.

Anyway, Prey is looking more and more like the space Bioshock everyone moans on about.

• @Haru17
    Space Ghost? Will they be coast to coast?
    Just dawned on me, but I dont think there has been many works of fiction going with a "What if JFK never died" idea, at least nothing major coming to mind