Metroid Dread thread

• i still can't believe this is actually real

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Discuss all things Metroid Dread related here.

• Hope it's good looks like a XBLA game. Mercury Steam have proven they can make solid 7/10 games. Nintendo should have brought it in-house and give the IP the respect it deserves I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

• "It looks like a DS game"
    0_1624079156657_FB_IMG_1623969183560.jpg

An actual DS game...

0_1624079185338_FB_IMG_1623969188121.jpg

• Who said that?

• @paulmci27 lots of people around the internet and facebook

• Looks better than a DS game. Should look better though. None of that matters if it's a great game Metroidvanias have evolved alot in the past 10 years.

• Honestly the graphics don't really bother me because I'll be playing it on a handheld screen the whole time anyway. Also I'm used to Switch games not looking super good. Like, whatever man, I just want the game to be good and it certainly seems like that's the case.

• @bam541 I agree

• @paulmci27 said:

looks like a XBLA game

Guessing you mean Shadow Complex. That's really more a testament to that game than anything. Honestly, I keep going back and forth and really comparing it to stuff, and for a Switch game Metroid Dread looks great at times with the HD graphics and lighting making materials look believably convincing. I think there's a deceptive simplicity to it when certain rooms seem to lack a ton of detail, but then from Treehouse we'll see them walk into another that has way more detail going on, often with their background. There's hidden little elements like a camouflage cloaked enemy shimmering that you don't immediately notice or little exposed bits betraying a hidden area you can blast open. The camera will shift during action moments to even higher levels of detail as you see Samus stylishly fight her way out of tense situations.

The main thing I keep hearing people parrot, including Smyle Smoshman, is that they're disappointed the game doesn't have Ori / Hollow Knight visuals. I'm not sure which platform these people played Ori on, but as someone currently going through the second game on Switch, stuff in that is pretty damn blurry to pack that level of detail on the hardware. I've run into a ton of technical hiccups with the game too. Hollow Knight is a stronger argument, but I also just don't think the style of Hollow Knight would be as fitting for Metroid. Bloodworth during reactions was talking about how angular certain elements in Metroid Dread are, but that's part of what gives that sci-fi, space station feel to the setting. You've got to have your bland, pristine looking chambers to set up the crazier stuff as you blow them apart to venture further into wild alien caverns and such.

The one thing that so far seems to be obviously missing from Metroid Dread however is the level of layered backgrounds we saw from Samus Returns on 3DS, which were mostly there to pop a convincing 3D effect on the hardware. I do think in a sense that has been downgraded, maybe for performance? They've definitely already shown some interesting background elements, as well as them interacting with the foreground though, so I think ultimately that'll end up making up for a lack of a shoebox diorama type feel to every room or even something like Luigi's Mansion 3. They've also already shown off there's times in this game where Samus will need to quickly book it through multiple room transitions in a row while being chased by the E.M.M.I. type threats that likewise are not restricted to a single screen worth of area, so I think the team prioritized stable performance so that locations can load in super quick to maintain the tension the game is aiming for over raw graphics.

I'm surprised in general anyone was expecting the next 2D Metroid to be some graphical showpiece, and I really have to wonder if all this gripe is just some kind of trickle down from people impatient to see how Metroid Prime 4 looks after the long wait for it. That's the one that really has something to prove on the graphical front after all this time in development. Metroid Dread on the other hand is focused on delivering the tension of the gameplay experience and concluding the Metroid Arc of Samus' story for the fans in a satisfying manner after being stuck on the same beat for 19 years. That's where this game really needs to deliver. If Metroid Dread releases and the story isn't up to snuff, then by all means it deserves criticism after building it up like this. Likewise if the encounters become a joke after you get the optical camouflage powerup or really anytime during the first 80% of the game, then yes, the project will have failed to deliver. Graphics though? In a 2D Metroid? Looks fine to me.

• I just wanna know why the suit looks robotic instead of Metroid-y. Did they mention that anywhere?

• @dario Yes. It is basically a new suit on top of the old suit that's fused to Samus. You can see it more in the bottom half of it.

• @mbun Oh cool, I imagined it was something like that, just wanted to make sure.

I'm pretty hyped about this but honestly I'm mostly curious about the future of the series because of the stuff Sakamoto said. Hopefully that also means we'll see Metroid games more often.

• @dario Yeah I'm very curious what the future of Metroid, post Metroid, will be. Since it is part of Samus herself now, unless something crazy happens in this game where that gets stripped from her, making her normal again, then I guess she'll always technically be carrying a part of it forward even when that's no longer the focus.

• This is my most anticipated game of the year.

Yoshio Sakamoto and Mercury Steam already made a 10/10 Metroid on 3DS so I have absolute confidence in this game. It was hands down and by far the best game I played on 3DS. I'd even go as far as saying it might be the best Metroid game period. It's Super Metroid but with just enough improvements to make it hard to go back to the SNES masterpiece. Most particularly the free aim function.

I also think Dread is very visually crisp. It has a very clean look and I love Samus' new suit.

• I've watched the trailer a bunch to figure out what it is that makes the game look so bad to be and I think it's the lighting. The game clearly has a lot of reflective surfaces, but it isn't reflecting anything properly. Surfaces get blown out with light when they shouldn't, which makes everything look flat.
    Hopefully something they can fix before release, but not a huge deal if they don't. Still just excited for anything Metroid.

• @paulmci27 said in Metroid Dread thread:

Hope it's good looks like a XBLA game. Mercury Steam have proven they can make solid 7/10 games. Nintendo should have brought it in-house and give the IP the respect it deserves I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I really loved Samus Returns. I'm happy they are developing it.

• @neocweeny
    Mirror of Fate, Samus Returns were great tbh.

Tangentially related
    Youtube Video

• As someone with almost no emotional reverence for the series, but who respects its status and place in history, my issue is the value proposition just doesn't line up with the competition which should lead to higher expectations. Now, this isn't something exclusive to Metroid, it is a common issue for me with a lot of Nintendo titles. This is a new, $60 entry in an esteemed franchise which is going to be compared to great games that released at half the cost, or lower. There has been a flood of these games over the last 5-10 years trying to satiate fans who love this style, and this is asserting itself as the best of the best by just naming it Metroid Dread. While I don't expect it to have an art style similar to Ori or Hollow Knight, it should damn sure look better than this - to act like it shouldn't is crazy.

• @dmcmaster I never played any of the Lords of Shadow games. I want to try them though.

• @neocweeny
    If you have a PC i believe they're on sale on Steam or Humble bundle