Metroid Dread thread

• @dipset I agree with Hollow Knight taking the time to polish the hell out of combat and traversal to perfection, but I see that more as polish than innovation. Someone said Hollow Knight is a shining example of the genre but still isn't worth full price, which is hard to wrap my head around. Like would people really prefer to pay $60 for a visually busier game or just a game with RTX and all that jazz that is designed and plays much worse? I guess Cyberpunk is a yes there. Seems a little ridiculous that a game can basically be perfect but not worth full price to people. Obviously, as I said before, if Hollow Knight was $60 it would've stunted the exposure for it, and that whole discussion would've taken over every time the game was brought up unfortunately. This is in the same realm of how certain genres never are seemingly allowed to win GOTY. Gamers just have had weird mental blocks built up over time, and they overvalue how a game looks and undervalue everything else about the game today.

@El-Shmiablo People only say things have a Flash aesthetic when they mean it in a bad way. That's what people were calling the new Ghosts 'n Goblins game from the trailers. It usually means stuff pops out in an unnatural looking way and doesn't seem to fit into the environment. If we're now going off your revised definition of "Flash is a versatile tool that can look etc." then you're not really saying anything, because that game could look like anything. That's obviously not the kind of Flash aesthetic you meant.

Hollow Knight's style does not look like floating assets, but instead makes notable elements high clarity for the player. It makes all the information you need to traverse and to perform in combat crisp, so you're not confused over what's a platform or losing attacks you need to dodge in a bunch of visual noise, like what happens with Ori sometimes. Honestly, it Ori wasn't literally a beaming beacon of light, it would be a horrible style for a game, because you'd constantly lose your character among everything, so at least that was a smart decision on the devs' part.

Honestly, you do sound like you solely value visuals when it comes to a game's price point, which also as far as I've come to know you from these forums seems to track accurately as well. More importantly, that's how you just made it sound. Don't use matter of fact statements if they don't reflect how you actually feel.

• Wonderful strawman you are building up there.

There are many reasons for why I believe games should cost as much as they do. Graphics are a contributing factor to a game's production values, yes. Art style, content, and many other factors contribute to that as well. As it stands, I have not seen anything about Dread that leads me to believe it is worth paying 60 buckerinos for.

In the future, please try to have your discussions with me and not whatever person you've built up in your head.

• @el-shmiablo said:

Graphics are a contributing factor to a game's production values, yes.

Art style

Also visuals.

content, and many other factors

You got pretty vague immediately after there. Not making the strongest case right now.

• This post is deleted!

• @mbun Lumping graphics and art style together is dumb.
    For instance, Persona 5 has a fantastic art style but bad graphics.

Also, I don't really care if you think I'm making a strong case or not. I and others have expressed disappointment and that is all there really is to it. I'm sorry we can't all blindly and endlessly felate Nintendo like some people like to do.

But hey, keep trying. You'll figure it out some day.

• @el-shmiablo said:

I'm sorry we can't all blindly and endlessly felate Nintendo like some people like to do.

I don't want this either, but you constantly doing the opposite is just as bad, especially when you pretend you aren't.

• @el-shmiablo said in Metroid Dread thread:

I'm sorry we can't all blindly and endlessly felate Nintendo like some people like to do.

I'll do it with my eyes open if it means more Metroid

• @e_zed_eh_intern I love Metroid and am excited for Dread, but am disappointed that it looks rather low effort and costs full price.

_(ツ)_/¯

• I'm having deja vu back to when Rayman Origins was announced, the exact same arguments. That was a full priced effort in my personal opinion and I have a feeling this will be too.

• The Final Boss
    Ultimate EMMI

0_1627597185147_FB_IMG_1627597059976.jpg

• new teaser got accidentally released early and has been taken down from the youtube page.

check it out before they pull it completely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpm10MGpBwo&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=任天堂ホームページ

• Happy 35th anniversary :D
    0_1628250632248_metroid nes.jpg

• That's the one^^^

• new trailer
    Youtube Video

• All I have to say is to those that are feeling a bit disappointed, just be happy you're actually getting another title. That and Metroid Prime 4. I'm not a Metroid fan, so I'm not interested. I wish these games the best of luck.

• Yeah, nah.
    "Just be glad you get anything" is kinda dumb when we're talking about a company as gigantic as Nintendo.

I'm definitely looking forward to Prime 4, but that isn't for a while yet.

• @el-shmiablo Look, I get where you're coming from, the game looks fine overall. Big N does not want to spend the money, so the game looks more like it should be at $30, instead of $60. Your choice is yours alone. I'm just saying, I've learned to appreciate and count my blessing. Not everything came out how I exactly wanted either, but I am more than happy with what I got. We live in world where DMC5, No More Heroes III, Bayonetta 2 (show footage 3 already you bastards!), God of War 4, and Streets of Rage 4 exists. That is nothing to laugh at. Something thought to be impossible and a "foolish" dream.

And now two new Metroid titles are coming out. If you can get Dread at cheaper price, go for it. Keep in mind though, after Dread and Prime 4 release, you all want to be get another one for a long while. So even if you dislike the look or disagree, appreciate what you're going to get, because you won't be getting anything else Metroid for a long while. At least you are getting something now, instead of constantly wondering if the series will ever get out of limbo. From what I've seen across the Internet, more than enough fans are happy. Your opinion and choice is still yours, and I will respect you for it either way.

• so fucking hyped!
    Youtube Video

• @yoshi I heard that trailer is kinda spoilery, so warning to any who haven't watched yet.

Edit: Damn, it really is, even though I suspect parts are from the beginning of the game. Go ahead and mute Nintendo on Twitter while you're at it, because they're straight up blasting the parts you wouldn't want to see beforehand right now.