Metroid Dread thread

• @bigdude1 Did you have to update their firmware or was it more intensive like opening them up?

@Bloodworth Everyone keeps praising Ori 2 as a better alternative, but I broke that game like crazy by completely accidentally sequence breaking it while not even realizing I was doing this, and unlike Metroid Dread, that game does not account for you doing so, meaning it completely falls apart technically as a result of doing this with full on game freezing and strange asset pop in to the point where eventually you literally cannot progress because lacking an earlier ability causes a later ability needed for completion to straight up not even function. But more on topic, filling out the map in that for 100% (which I still haven't finished doing) felt like way more of an ordeal to me than doing the same in Metroid Dread. I could definitely launch into a huge tangent about how Ori 2 in particular is not very good game design in many places honestly, and only some of the reasons would be related to my "unique" playthrough. Oh, and this is after I never could 100% the first Ori because I missed something in an area you couldn't return to, something they didn't fix until a Definitive Edition released later, although I'm obligated to say I had a fantastic time with the first Ori and had none of the problems 2 gave me.

• @mbun said in Metroid Dread thread:

Which attacks are you struggling with? Put them behind a spoiler tag and maybe we can help?

Thanks for the offer, but I've already watched last 10 minutes on YouTube and I feel no need to repeat them in-game. Also I've already play enough to understand that Metroid series isn't for me, and beating this one will add nothing to that knowledge.

• There was this section in first hours of the game that I had to look online (and realize this was a popular search) because I was afraid I had broken the game but no, I just had to shoot a "secret" wall, after the disbelief that this was somehow considered acceptable game design in 2021, I understood that every time I felt stuck I just had to shoot everything.

Regarding difficulty I felt the game was perhaps too easy. Bosses and semi-bosses were cool enough but the rest were utterly redundant. My biggest challenge was (I think) the controllers, both the Pro and the Joycons felt really weird when kneeling down and aiming but I attribute that to hardware. Other than my issues with the horrible d-pad on the pro this is my first time having trouble with the Switch controllers. Thankfully this is a platformer with no real platforming.

• @ffff0 it's actually not that hard.

Every single boss has a pattern to it, the more you die to their attacks, the better you get at memorising how to avoid them until you become untouchable.

The Final Boss is a dance that forces you to learn and make use of all of the abilities you've learned up to that point

• @mbun it was already updated by the time I had issues it was just not connecting when I turned on the console .

• @phbz I still have no idea about your problems with the pro controller

• @bigdude1 When kneeling down and aiming it didn't felt very responsive and often I had to correct my initial movement. Never had any issues with my thumbsticks but it wouldn't be the first time that a game manifests some controller issue I haven't noticed before. It happened with Minecraft Dungeons in the Xbox and Ghost of Tsushima in the PS. I just find odd that I get it with the Pro and Joycons.

• @phbz hmm might be off calibration or something.

• @phbz Next time you're having this problem, take a cotton swab and wipe under your analog stick all the way around gathering any dust under there, then wrap your hand around the stick area making a little seal against the controller with your hand except for your thumb and pointer forming a hole, and blow into that hole as hard as you can. After this, do what you were just doing and see if it is still being weird or not. Get back to me on that.

• Demos out now
    Youtube Video

• Zero punctuation
    Youtube Video

• Good video on the world design of Metroid Dread:

Youtube Video

• @mbun said in Metroid Dread thread:

@phbz Next time you're having this problem, take a cotton swab and wipe under your analog stick all the way around gathering any dust under there, then wrap your hand around the stick area making a little seal against the controller with your hand except for your thumb and pointer forming a hole, and blow into that hole as hard as you can. After this, do what you were just doing and see if it is still being weird or not. Get back to me on that.

I know what you are saying is actually helpful, but it reminded me of the classic 360 "fix" back in the day where kids were tricked into bundling their 360 in a bunch of towels and leaving it on until it overheated bricked.

RIP.

• @dipset it worked the heat caused the solder to remelt and set. It was also a way to force rrod just before warranty.

• @bigdude1

It also made the system completely not work in any way whatsoever and get absolutely no power at all. I know a kid from middle school whose parents just banned him from video games for doing that.

• @dipset What it specifically does is temporarily clear out any debris that's gotten down into the analog mechanism from the stick grinding into fine dust and being pushed below from normal usage. Sadly just a temporary fix, but it can clear up drift symptoms for awhile if that's your specific cause of it. There's many things that can cause it though, so it might help or it might not. Shouldn't hurt though, long as you aren't skipping the step where you're cleaning the dust under the stick before you blow, so you're not blowing more debris down into it.

• it's actually amazing that Nintendo is actually supporting this series for once

Youtube Video

• @yoshi
    I mean we had a pretty steady stream of Metroid titles between 2002 - 2010 so we know what it's like when they support the franchise.

• @dmcmaster it's never been advertised as heavily or as well it has been right now.

• Dread is being advertised on TV a lot here in Portugal. Very unusual. Although Animal Crossing also had some presence. Never seen anything like this for any Sony or MS game.