The EZA Community Top 25 of 2008!

• @el-shmiablo As I stated I'm talking PSOne and I didn't bother again. I did enjoy Fast RMX, feels like how I wished Wipeout felt back in the day.

@JDINCINERATOR I didn't like the humour, how it looked and how it played. Also it was one of those games where I went in with completely wrong expectations. But now knowing what it is I have no desire to play it.

• 0_1627327737274_6c148890-52f6-4431-a320-90dd3e8a6a3b-image.png
    #22.TALES OF VESPERIA=6 Points
    Votes
    #1:
    #2: 1 (Shoulderguy)
    #3:
    #4:
    #HM: 2 (Neocweeny, Paulmci27)
    INFORMATION
    Release Date: August 7th 2008(JP) August 26th 2008 (NA), June 26th 2009 (EU), June 25th 2009 (AU)
    Developer: Namco Tales Studio
    Publisher: Namco Bandai
    Genre: Action-role playing game
    Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3 (Japan only)

• Tales of Vesperia is my favorite "Tales of" game. Great cast of characters with fun challenging combat. A win for Anime.

Shout out to the best boy Repede:

0_1627331834274_Repede1.png

• I have a couple of friends who are HUGE Tales fans and when Vesperia got announced to be remastered at Xbox's E3 2018 show, one of them said it was his announcement of the whole show with how it made him so happy.
    (Reminder, that was the show that:

• Opened with the official announcement of Halo: Infinite
    • Had the trio of Gears game announcements [Pop, Tactics, 5]
    • Had the first (of three on that day) Kingdom Hearts III trailer
    • The official announcements of DMC 5, Jump Force, Dying Light 2
    • The reveal Shadows Die Twice was Sekiro
    • Trailers for Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Forza Horizon 4, Metro: Exodus
    • Say what you will about the final product, but the first details about Fallout 76.
    • The announcement Xbox created a new studio [The Initiative], and bought four others [Undead Labs, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, and Compulsion Games]
    • And what I argue is one of the best moments in all of E3 history [final product and current reputation nonwithstanding], Cyberpunk hacking Phil Spencer's sendoff speech and the first trailer since the CG announcement five years prior.

THAT was a hell of a show.)

Anyway, back to Vesperia, as I'm getting kind of bummed to discover, this is yet another entry on the countdown I'm forced to say, what is irritatingly becoming a template; "Doesn't appeal to me, have other interests within the genre, don't think I'll ever play it, and I'll listen to my friends extoll its virtues than make the investment myself."

• I have this on my Switch already, haven't played it yet. Either this or Arise will be my first Tales game, excited to try this series out.

• 0_1627418524962_5fc2a071-e0be-4628-abdc-2cf77af56d46-image.png
    #21.LEFT 4 DEAD=6 Points
    Votes
    #1:
    #2:
    #3: 1 (Brannox)
    #4:
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, Crepe, Kindiman)
    INFORMATION:
    Release Date: November 17th 2008
    Developer: Valve South
    Publisher: Valve
    Genre: First-person shooter, survival horror
    Platform: PC, Xbox 360
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_4_Dead
    Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Left 4 Dead is probably my favorite co-op centric game out there. Before getting it, I was always gunshy about grabbing it because it always seemed (and it turned out to be true) that playing with people made the experience. And while I did get to play with a couple of friends a couple of times, regular play sessions never materialized (a common theme across my entire history in trying to organize playing with others). So, ultimately, the lion-share of my game time was by myself.

This game rules. I love the very simple concept: Start here, get to the end, and slaughter the waves of zombies in your path along the way. While there really isn't a story, the storytelling of the writing in the safe rooms gave a dead world life and lore. I love the focus on having a primary weapon, unlimited pistol (or the always awesome dual pistols), a healing item, and a pipe bomb, making you think on when to use them and how much ammo you should use.

But shout out to the special infected. Whenever I ran into a Tank or came across a Witch, it was absolutely terrifying, because I knew I was about to get massacred. Especially since I could almost never sneak by the Witch because either A.) She seemed to ALWAYS sit in a DOORWAY or B.) My A.I. teammates always wanted to go over and say HI!! The others should get a special mention too, as playing the distance game with Boomers to keep from getting mobbed after it puked or exploded all over you, or getting nabbed by the Smoker and having that split second of shooting in the direction of their tongue to get free before being hoisted up a side of a building lent me to being on edge every time I played.

I actually prefer the original over the sequel despite 2 having more maps, characters, melee weapons, and a couple of extra modes, and, you know, THIS WHOLE GAME within it, but just having the original feels focused and concise.

I've missed this series and have longed for the opportunities in days long forgotten to have had Xbox Live Parties with friends for a few runs, and that's why I'm SO excited for Back 4 Blood. With Turtle Rock bringing the formula around back into the zeitgeist I'm really looking forward to more nearly endless zombie slaying

And as is my custom for these countdowns, shoutouts to @Shoulderguy, @Crepe, and @kindiman for being fellow voters and showing some love to one of the best games to play with friends.

• I know this sounds reeeeeeally stupid, but back then I couldn't rack my head around the idea of fast zombies. I've always known zombies to be slow and dumb whereas L4D has fast and somewhat strategic zombies. It's BEYOND a nitpick but it bothered me back then. Letting go of that, I never really got into horde gameplay. L4D and alike games and modes just never do much for me. Never been much of a fan of games where you shoot endlessly and stay in one area.

• @dipset It's not stupid, I grew up with zombies as slumbering hordes that were utterly horrifying and genuinely nightmarish. I would've played Left 4 Dead in 2008 but I was 16 back then and I only had the chance to play the games I really wanted and L4D just didn't grab me like Saints Row 2 did.

• @dipset I'm completely with you in the endlessly shooting in one area type of modes/games, but for me, the fact Left 4 Dead actually has an end by reaching the safe rooms and rescue vehicles helped me get past my aversion of that kind of thing by a LOT.

• 0_1627499894092_dbb0cccc-f4f5-4118-9c92-56ce192baecf-image.png
    #20. Mario Kart Wii= 7 Points
    Votes
    #1: 1 (ED_ZED_EH_INTERN)
    #2:0
    #3:0
    #4:1 (DemonPirate)
    HM:0
    INFORMATION:
    Release Date:April 11th 2008 (EU), April 24th 2008 (AU), April 27th 2008 (NA)
    Developer: Nintendo EAD
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Kart racing
    Platform: Nintendo Wii
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart_Wii

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• My exposure to Mario Kart is only with Mario Kart DS and Double Dash so I don't have any hands on with Wii. If I ever had a Wii, I probably would've had this at the time, as Mario Kart as a whole is one of the very few franchises I cared anything for as it pertains to Nintendo, but alas, another lifetime perhaps. I like the focus on bikes, and the concept of the Wii wheel is certainly the height of the peripheral craze for the Wii. Still, it's one of those games I wouldn't playing some time, but because of the hardware and age, I doubt I ever will.

• 0_1627589230126_cbd4b59e-470d-40e8-a81d-e6503fd1367c-image.png
    #19.BRAID=7 Points
    Votes
    #1: (MiserablePerson)
    #2:
    #3:
    #4:
    HM: (Brannox, Scotty)
    Release date: August 6th 2008 (Xbox 360)
    Developer: Number None
    Publisher: Number None, Microsoft Game Studios
    Genre: Puzzle-platform
    Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Mac OX, Linux, Microsoft Windows
    INFORMATION:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braid_(video_game)

Youtube Video

• Oh damn I missed Braid, it would probably be on my list.

• Braid is a fun and novel game, and while I think it does some cool things with time manipulation and the twist is a fascinating one, for whatever reason, I've never really felt the pull to play through it again. I like the art style and the music is delightful, I guess it's just once I was able to get to the end I had my fill of it. Granted, I never felt the need to find the secret stars for the secret ending, nor do I find speedrunning it appealing (which is a bummer because beating the game in less than 45 minutes is the ONLY achievement I lack, but it requires a skill level I'll never reach). Overall it's a solid game, and I do recommend it to anyone to try at least once, but even still, it just barely took the last spot in my Honorable Mentions. Shoutouts to @MiserablePerson and @Scotty for showing it some love!

• Braid is certainly a game that I didn't know much about at the time but when people started praising it heavily I became intrigued. Still haven't bought the game but I am certainly still up for trying it out.

• Braid is one of those games that trying to finish it without walkthrough would be a nightmare. So I didn't play it after one playthrough. Still, with the remastered that's coming olur way I will try to finish it one more time after all these years. Also its story is really depressive and metaphoric.

• Another kinda stupid reason for never playing a game, but I find the backgrounds in Braid really ugly. I still don't really wanna play it for the same reason. I know it's a early-DLC era staple. I still don't really wanna play it.

• 0_1627672321236_d3da0b71-5f6a-448a-8945-ca2e317b511f-image.png
    #18. Soulcalibur IV=7 Points
    Votes
    #1:
    #2:1 (ParasitePaladin)
    #3:
    #4:
    HM:3 (Shoulderguy, Sentinel Beach, Capnbobamous)
    INFORMATION:
    Release Date: July 29th 2008 (NA), July 31st 2008 (JP, AU, EU), August 1st 2008 (UK)
    Developer: Project Soul
    Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
    Genre: Fighting
    Platform: PS3, Xbox 360
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulcalibur_IV

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• As Braid just barely got into my Honorable Mentions, Soulcalibur IV just barely missed out. This was the first game I got when I was gifted my 360 for my birthday, and I'm one of those shmucks who saw Yoda on the box and got it on those grounds.

This is the first traditional fighting game I owned, and after playing the story mode with all the characters and tried to "get good" with both Yoda and the secret character Starkiller, I haven't looked back as it will the be the ONLY fighting game I will have owned. While I'm a fan of Mortal Kombat as a brand and watching others play, SoulCalibur IV cemented fighting games are NOT for me. It had some fun for the time, but because I don't game online often, I only played offline and after awhile, I realized there really isn't anything to fighting games other than the same thing, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over. But kudos to it for it making our countdown and thanks for the brief fling Soulcalibur.