The EZA Community Top 25 of 2008!

• I almost bought a 360 that's how excited for Fable II I was at the time. I'd do Google searches like, "could Fable II come to PS3" and "How much is a good laptop?"

In the end, the game wasn't even a quarter of what was promised. It was pretty okay when my friend and I played it but all of the linear combat zones between areas with loading screens everywhere got really boring really quickly.

I was pretty happy that I didn't ask my parents for a 360 despite falling for the hype.

• I played Fable II for a while and while I think it's quite a fancy game I didn't think it was great-which is probably down to my unfamiliarity with why the series is so adored more than anything else. I am tempted to give the Fable games another go to see if I can summon enjoyment from them, but as far as 2008 was concerned Fable 2 was quite far down my priorities list at the time. Considering Fable 2 came out in October 2008 you had Dead Space, Saints Row 2, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, Fallout 3 and others that made their presence felt much stronger. Heck even Wii Music made more of a racket at the time than Fable 2 did in my perspective.

• 0_1627931139690_d419070b-e92f-4fda-837c-252dc7457efa-image.png
    #15.STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED=8 Points
    #1:
    #2: 1 (Scotty)
    #3:
    #4: 1 (Kindiman)
    HM: 2 (Bam541, Capnbobamous)
    Release Date: September 16th 2008 (NA), September 17th 2008 (AU), September 19th 2008 (EU)
    Developer: LucasArts (PS3, 360), Aspyr (PC, Mac OS), Krome Studios (PS2, PSP, Wii)
    Publisher: LucasArts, THQ Wireless ( iOS, J2ME, N-Gage)
    Genre: Action-adventure, hack and slash
    Platform: PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Nintendo DS, PSP, PS2, N-Gage, J2ME, iOS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars%3A_The_Force_Unleashed

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Of the 13 games I've played from 2008, Force Unleashed slotted in at 11th, so far outside of getting a vote from me. Primarily, this is because I played the PS2 version, which I found out YEARS later is a DIFFERENT game than the one on the PS3 and 360. So it may be my memory isn't quite as fair as it could be, but I can only go off what I recall.

I like the premise. Play as Vader's secret apprentice, carrying out hits on jedi in hiding and I like a few of the characters, be it Juno, Kazdan, and Kota in particular (I can't remember the droid's name, but I remember him becoming other characters via hologram). The idea that Starkiller helped formulate the rebellion with Leia and Bail is interesting, especially at Vader's behest to help simultaneously root out rebels and destabilize Palpatine so Vader could take command, but it did NOT play well.

I remember in the moment using Repulse and Saber Throw CONSTANTLY to cut down Stormtroopers en masse and when on Felucia taking out Shaak Ti, (and ultimately her apprentice when she falls to the dark side), but I always felt doing any abilities or general saber combat wasn't fun, and there is an increasingly sharp difficulty curve the deeper I went into the game. The final fight against Vader felt infuriating, as I also remember there were QTEs which also felt kind of dumb when the fight was hard as hell.

What's there, on paper, is interesting, but much like bringing down a Star Destroyer from the atmosphere, the reality feels hollow and a disappointing let down to what could've been. But shout out to Sam Witwer. He's a good actor and an EXCELLENT Darth Maul for Clone Wars and Rebels.

• I think The Force was pretty good with The Force Unleashed but its critical reception is pretty lukewarm. I've not really been a Star Wars fan at all and especially not when I was 16 years old in 2008. I eventually gave it a go and as stated it was pretty good but I don't know if it's great.

• Hell yeah, it got in! I used to play this game a lot. I think I replayed it a couple times, which says something since I used to hate replaying games. One particular thing that I remember about the game is that in one of the early levels, you can bend beams on the side of a bridge/walkway in order to make the Tie Fighters flying by hit them, and I had so much fun with this! I think I spent a total of like an hour or so just playing around with this.

Looking back, I think this game does it job well, a fun action adventure romp. The Star Wars theme of it certainly add a lot the the charm of the game, but the core game is good enough. The Force powers were quite fun and satisfying to use, and there's at least some depth in the lightsaber combat that made it above average. I kinda missed playing a Star Wars game like this as time goes on, but thankfully Jedi Fallen Order came along.

• 0_1628015418317_599e9723-6da4-490b-8deb-888bb1fc3ff8-image.png
    #14.GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS=9 Points
    #1: 1 (Scotty)
    #2:0
    #3:0
    #4: 2 (James Davie, Brannox)
    HM:0
    Release Date: March 4th 2008 (NA), March 27th 2008 (AU), March 28th 2008 (EU)
    Developer: Ready At Dawn
    Publisher: SONY Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Hack and slash action-adventure
    Platform: PSP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War%3A_Chains_of_Olympus

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• One of the best portable games I've ever played, God of War: Chains of Olympus really is a true God of War experience on a handheld and it's a mighty triumph. Not only was Chains of Olympus one of my favourite PSP games, but it's one of if not the first game to encourage me to play something that I'm not used to playing. I was 15 when this came out, I wasn't into Greek mythology and wasn't sold on the God of War experience, but because I loved the PSP and this was a gigantic game on it I decided to give it a shot-and blimey it was fantastic and opened me up to the true magic of trying new games in genres I'm not familiar with.

• Chains of Olympus is probably the most underrated game of the entire God of War franchise and EASILY one of the absolute best games on the PSP. While the big draws on console (So the original trilogy and the reboot) are all phenomenal (ESPECIALLY the reboot), I think the PSP games aren't really brought up enough when discussing the franchise.

Of the two on PSP, I prefer Chains over Ghost of Sparta (Though that's a great game too). I enjoy the story how Kratos is seeking his daughter and while it does the most in trying to give some humanity (the best in the series before said reboot, personally speaking), I really enjoy how it doesn't really hit you over the head with the story. The locations are fascinating from Attica to Helios' temple and the Underworld to the fields of Elysium, and of those, I think the middle two stand out to me the most.

And this game looks AWESOME on portable. Graphically speaking, it fits right in with how the first main two games look and it feels great to play. Controls do require getting a little used to without two sticks, but I feel the shoulder buttons help offset this, plus some puzzles, while admittedly a touch simple, are still fun. And the combat is equally as satisfying as any of the main games, so much so, it still holds up today. Shoutout to Charon, which is one of my favorite fights in the entire series, not least of which because you're supposed to fail the first time you come across him, making the rematch quite satisfying.

Another thing Chains does quite well (and I would argue the majority of God of War as a whole), is introducing interesting and compelling Olympians and Gods that aren't as commonly known as the main players of Greek mythology. Morpheus, Helios, and most especially Persephone all have intriguing stories, particularly Persephone because her motivations are believable and, ironically, would ultimately become Kratos's goal for both II and III.

Writing out this post and revisiting my thoughts make me crave playing it, and also making my desire for Ragnarok still go strong. I'm really looking forward to a series replay once we get a release date for Ragnarok next year. And as always, shout-outs and virtual high fives to my fellow voters @JDINCINERATOR and @Scotty

• If this wasn't such a stacked year for my Chains of Olympus would have absolutely made my list.

• The PSP GoW games are still some of the most technically impressive handheld games ever.

• @bam541
    This game has an amazing story & awesome roles in the game or best graphics.
    This game satisfies everyone with a great variation of gameplay
    the ending is very unique.

• PSP games are the only GOW games that I’ve never actually finished. Played them and really liked them but I was just coming off the original PS2 games which I honestly think are some of the best games ever made so this was toning down a little bit comparatively. But I liked them.

• 0_1628094077854_883c9d79-5317-4a05-be2c-f1341795b255-image.png
    #13.RESISTANCE 2=9 Points
    #1:0
    #2:1 (VicRattler)
    #3:0
    #4:1 (Nimbat1003)
    #HM:3 (Brannox, Paulmci27, DIPSET)
    INFORMATION
    Release Date:November 4th 2008 (NA), November 27th 2008 (AU), November 28th 2008 (EU)
    Developer:Insomniac Games
    Publisher:SONY Computer Entertainment
    Genre:First-person shooter
    Platform:PS3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_2

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Resistance 2 was a great step up from Fall of Man. I found Fall of Man quite annoying when those Hedgehog grenades would keep exploding and spreading out lethal spikes in all directions. Resistance 2 was tighter and satisfying, enabling Insomniac to truly nail the things it does best including awesome inventive weaponry and memorable creature designs. It was a bit too brown for my liking and its more military aesthetics kinda got in the way but it was a pretty corking FPS.

• I JUST finished doing a series replay of Resistance, so this one is much more fresh in my mind than any other game that's been on the list, or will be revealed. While Resistance 2 is my second favorite of the series (and don't get me wrong, I LOVE the series as a whole), I feel like I have more critiques than I do praise.

First off, the thing that irritates me most is how Insomniac moved from their traditional weapon wheel to the CoD style of two weapons only at a time. Which is frustrating at times because of not having suitable armament and ammo scarcity can be an issue in a few cases. But beyond that, I think I own a bugged copy because:

1.) Some text in CG scenes don't appear.
    2.) Some in-game cutscenes don't have audio AND subtitles
    3.) There's a bugged trophy where you need to find all of the intel cases. And they all are gone, which means I MUST have picked them up, but the trophy never has popped and there's no way to create a new game without carryover from previous playthroughs (which this is the ONE time that's not a good thing).

Sprinting also feels weird in terms of speed and FOV, plus after the modern switch of many FPS's having the bottom triggers being aim and fire, having those be the top shoulder buttons is an odd feeling to get used to.

Criticisms aside, I LOVE the setting and story. While there are WAY too many games set in the U.S. (And this coming from a U.S. citizen for crying out loud), some of the locales are super fun, with Idaho and Chicago being true highlights (Shoutout to the 300 foot tall Leviathan. Louisiana on the other hand is irritating with how the mission starts, plus what you're there to do). It IS frustrating to see Hale just refuse to do the smart thing to keep himself from turning, but it gives what ultimately happens that much more impact.

Speaking of which, Resistance 2 is like the connection point of the entire franchise. The two books, The Gathering Storm and A Hole in the Sky, are good reads and give more context to both the world and the main characters of R2 (that said, both books have their climax on the last page with no cooldown, so the abrupt endings are super odd). Plus, and perhaps the COOLEST thing about R2, if you have Resistance: Retribution, you use the PS3's USB cable to connect the PSP and in the options menu of R2, you can "Infect" Retribution, giving the game's main character, James Grayson, a new outfit, the ability to breathe underwater, fully regenerative health, a few different lines of dialogue during story scenes, and new intel to find hidden throughout the levels. Plus, as long as the cable is connected, you can use the wireless function of the Dualshock 3 to play the game on PSP with a controller. It's a process, but super fun. I miss this franchise, and though I would be stoked to have a new game or a reboot, Resistance is pretty dead with how Insomniac is on record having no further interest in making them plus Sony never talks about them when they talk about legacy franchises across the company's history.

Anyway, back to Resistance 2. The game looks fine nowadays, but not all that great today, so I don't think it aged too well. However, the gameplay and story make up for that, AND this game more than any other Resistance entry leans into horror because, especially in the two levels I listed earlier, you'll face hordes of Chimera, with dwindling ammo, in VERY dark areas, by yourself. It's freaking terrifying.

As far as voting for it is concerned, it wound up taking 6th place for me, which feels right when I had 13 total games I played. While I WILL argue Resistance 2 is an above average game with plenty of fun to be had (Disclaimer: I never played the multiplayer, so I can't comment on its quality, plus servers are dead now so you can't play it even if you wanted to), I can understand it being a middle-of-the-road experience for others. But, as a fan of the whole franchise, I understand I have my bias. That said, like I've done for the last few games in a row, shoutouts and high fives to fellow voters @VicRattler, @Nimbat1003, @paulmci27, and @DIPSET!

• Resistance 1 was good.
    Resistance 2 was meh but had a good coop mode.
    Resistance 3 is one of the best shooters of that entire generation. Shame 2 was ass and nobody cared about the franchise at that point. Legit Half-Life 2 quality stuff.

• @el-shmiablo Can't forget Retribution or Burning Skies.

• I actually love the Resistance series. Insomniac had ample opportunity to elevate it to a high bar and they didn't necessarily do that, but all three games are peppered with great ideas. I think the original had sweet level design, fun weapons, and a big arena multiplayer as defining qualities.

Resistance 2 just decided to do the same but more.

I think R2 is defined a bit by it's COD-influence in 2-weapons, sprint, ADS, and other obvious COD influence of the time. I also think it's negatively defined by launching post Halo 3 and alongside Gears of War 2. So it's history is a bit muddy, but it's a fucking sweet game.

• Horror elements (a la Half Life 2)
    • Massive scale level design
    • Massive behemoth boss creatures
    • Massive array of weapons which are ALL fun
    • Good / great co-op mode
    • Good / great Multiplayer mode

I fucking loved the multiplayer in this game. The 64 player matches were crazy and the weapon variety was sweet. It needed more polish in a world where Halo 3 existed, but it was above and beyond compared to every tag on MP of that era. Some people put hundreds of hours into co-op but I wasn't super into it.

My only major complaint was split-screen Campaign going away. That was a huge bummer. I also get the vibe they'll never remaster these games so it'll never be added.

Reboot the franchise Sony!

• 0_1628184077382_5b76ddf2-5d13-4f3d-87cd-9233b9f966e4-image.png
    #12.SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL=10 Points
    #1:0
    #2:1 (DemonPirate)
    #3:1 (El Shmiablo)
    4:0
    HM:3 (Neocweeny, Capnbabomous, James Davie)
    INFORMATION
    Release Date: March 9th 2008 (NA), June 26th 2008 (AU), June 27th 2008 (EU)
    Developer: Sora Ltd. And Nintendo Ad-hoc Development Team
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Fighting
    Platform: Nintendo Wii

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl

Youtube Video

Youtube Video