The EZA Community Top 25 of 2008!

• Metal Gear Solid is a franchise that is easily more and more rewarding as it goes for those who've played everything prior. While I initially didn't have any interest in it, I decided to watch the full playthrough of the first at whichever Easy Livin' it was, so I could see if it would be like Resident Evil where I could become a fan from afar.

Sadly, I didn't really enjoy it and found much of what I watched to be a bit too annoying for my tastes. So if I ever were to experience Guns of the Patriots, I would need to have watched Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater, and the likelihood of that happening is very low, if not outright nonexistant.

• @ffff0 Sorry I'm not Dunkey.

• Believe it or not, MGS IV is actually the first MGS game I ever played. I got to play it when I was really young and barely understood English, so a lot of the story stuff went over my head, but I still loved it anyway. The gameplay is just top notch, this game's approach to stealth gameplay is still very unique IMO. There's still absolutely nothing like disguising yourself with the Octocamo and sneakily tranquilizing bad guys in plain sight. I remember enjoying the weapon store/customization stuff with Drebin, and my younger self was very confused but also impressed by the fact that you can equip a literal iPod in order to play music. There's a lot more of that trademark Kojima quirkiness in this game that I really enjoyed. I also remember myself replaying this game a couple times back then, which is something I used to rarely do. I came to understand the story more and more as I randomly watched a bunch of YouTube videos in the years after playing it, and while it's still quite a confusing mess overall, it's certainly a very fun mess to dig into. And of course, like many people out there, I cried a bit at the infamous microwave section. The way this game ends is simply awe-inspiring.

• I was camping last week so playing catch up here.

Valkyria Chronicles

I really liked what I've played of this game in the PS4 Remaster but never finished it. No fault of the game, but I just didn't want to dig too deep at the time. I have a hard time taking "anime war" as serious as the game presents itself, but I feel it's earnestness and the gameplay system speaks for itself.

LittleBigPlanet

One of my all time favourite games imo.

Personal anecdote here, but I spent so much of my free time in 2006-2007 just consuming any and all videos about PS3 and next gen. I watched the LBP GDC 2007 demo with the skateboard like 400 times. My 11 year old mind was blown.

https://youtu.be/oS0eaRnbC6Y
    (the skateboard demo starts @ 6:19)

TBH, I've never been this wow'd by a presentation in my entire life. I don't think LBP gets enough credit for being a solid game on top of the prototype for the expectation of personal expression in any online game nowadays.

Also, soundtrack is very underrated and blended perfectly into the MM pre-made levels. I personally would always play bomb survival levels with my buddies in 4 player split screen.

A few songs that I still have stuck in my head all these years later:

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Mirror's Edge

This game blew me away when I first played it and it's smaller approachable size made it ripe for replays and time trials. DICE are technical wizards and the fact they got a first person parkour game to run and look so smooth still blows me away. The game was built on an extremely early version of Unreal 3 and was in development while Gears 1 still was so DICE kinda took an unfinished tool to the finish line here.

I love the game design in this game. The first level just exists to give you a sense of momentum and keeping speed. As the game goes on it throws a few puzzles at you. A few dodge and chase sections. Then later tells you to mix them all together.

You can read about the making of Mirror's Edge in this little known feature article here:

0_1628869947937_c049331a-0cfa-4792-824a-b86e9ba1d0db-image.png
    https://www.deadendthrills.com/building-the-impossible-mirrors-edge/

What's funny is that the people they interview about creating Mirror's Edge don't really even like the game. It apparently was greenlit by EA to be an ambitious project but slowly turned into something a lot less ambitious as the beancounters started seeing Uncharted and Gears 2 sell copies.

There were decisions made that were just questionable. Me and the level designer would sit there and get a level looking really good, and the next day you’d come in and there’d be snipers everywhere.

Mirror’s Edge wasn’t really my cup of tea when it came out. I sat down and played it on PS3 for about an hour and that was it, I gave up. Didn’t like it.

I think he's maybe too close to the game to truly appreciate it, but I think it's fantastic. The sewer level is one of my all time favourite levels.

Persona 4

I love Persona 4 but I don't like the hardcore JRPG mechanics of the original PS2 game. I played P4 in 2015 on the PSN downloads and I hated how devastating dying to a boss in the dungeon was. I don't like having to use items to return to the dungeon hub to save before continuing onwards.

P4:G is just way more streamlined and casual for my tastes. I'm just not that hardcore. Great game, but it wasn't a 2008 game for me.

Gears 2

Never played it. I didn't like Gears 1 so why play Gears 2? Gears 1 is on Game Pass so maybe I'll give it another shake but I didn't like bullet sponges and the constant covering and shooting. That was the whole game to me without much deviation so I just got bored.

MGS4

I'll write about this when I get more time.

• 0_1628911463255_3a6692a4-a91b-4273-8291-5028a3a72889-image.png
    3.WII MUSIC=26 Points of embarrassment
    #1:5 (Men who embarrassed themselves at E3 2008)
    #2: 9 (The maximum age of the people this game is intended for)
    #3:7 (Number of classic videogame compositions that were butchered)
    #4: 5 (The age of kids who will benefit most from Wii Music's gameplay)
    #HM:0 (For there is no honour in acting like a 5 year-old who gnaws on tambourines)
    INFORMATION
    Release Date: October 20th 2008 (NA), November 13th 2008 (AU), November 14th 2008 (EU)
    Developer: Nintendo EAD Group No. 2
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Music
    Platform: WII

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Music

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• This post is deleted!

• Wtf just happened? Is this correct? 🤣

• LMFAO. What a great troll

• Too good haha!

I never knew Wii Music would live in like this in the minds of its victims.

• 0_1628967061156_7060503a-936f-4d5c-abc7-fa714202376e-image.png
    #3.DEAD SPACE=26 Points
    #1:3 (El Shmiablo, Axel, Paulmci27)
    #2:1 (PHBZ)
    #3:1 (MiserablePerson)
    #4:1 (Sentinel Beach)
    HM:2 (Kindiman, Nimbat1003)
    INFORMATION
    Release Date: October 13th 2008 (NA), October 20th 2008 (PC release date), October 23rd 2008 (AU), October 24th 2008 (EU)
    Developer: EA Redwood Shores
    Publisher: EA
    Genre: Survival horror
    Platform: PS3, Xbox 360, PC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Space_(video_game)

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Yes it's the real number 3 this time no tomfoolery here. Dead Space was a pretty big deal in 2008. I remember when I played it and I wasn't sure how to play horror games such as it back then. I used to rent out games and play them until I had 10% trophy completion then I'd review them. Obviously I was silly back then, but when it came to Dead Space I only reached 5% trophy completion and gave up. Now fast-forward all these thirteen-years later and considering I've revisited Dead Space a few times since 2008-and it's a cracking horror game. I didn't put it in my top 8 because there were just too many games that I couldn't deny but Dead Space would be in a top 10 possibly or at least top 15 for me. Necromorphs are absolutely sickening in how demented they're shaped and formed and the sounds they make are sure to make you sweat with intensity. I don't know what to say about Isaac Clarke, he's pretty much a guy with an electric-light emitted upturned bin on his head who doesn't speak. I mean Isaac does groan in pain but that's probably due to the fact that he makes for appetizing necromorph bait.

• As I've stated multiple times, I'm no fan of horror and as such, I've steered clear of it in all its forms for many years until the full playthrough of Resident Evil VII. And because of that, plus some other factors, Dead Space is now my leading candidate of a full playthrough I would like to see an Ally do. And after the years of calling for a remaster (or a return of any kind really) for the franchise from many finally being heard by EA, I think the wait won't be too much longer.

While the third entry has a terrible reputation, I would like to see both this and its sequel, but until then, I'll stay content to just hang back and wait. Yes, I DO know the twist and how the first letter of every chapter spells it out, but without context, I'm intrigued to experience that as intended. Don't get me wrong: I'll forever be irked by EA shutting down Visceral for a variety of reasons, and I'm stoked to hear the former lead start up his own new studio to make The Callisto Portocol inspired what they made with Dead Space, but I want to reserve judgment until I see EA doesn't mess this remake up.

• Banned

I grew up on stuff like Alien and Event Horizon, so the first time I played Dead Space I was absolutely mesmerized by how well the game conveyed a sense of constant dread through it's incredible lighting, unparalleled sound design, and overall atmosphere.
    The idea that headshots were in most situations the least ideal method of dispatching enemies made combat feel engaging and unique, since the idea of ripping enemies limb from limb and even using those limbs against them was something I'd never really seen in a game before.
    The twist and ending left me completely blown away. Real tennouttaten type stuff. I'm fucking frothing at the mouth for the remake and that PUBG spinoff on the moon by the old devs.

• camon we all know it's gonna be fallout 3 right?... right???

• World of Goo wasn't mentioned yet so it must mean it will be in the top 2!

• 0_1629041079104_12f33706-225e-4d4c-b3ea-2256597cb742-image.png
    #2.FALLOUT 3=49 Points
    #1:4 (Shoulderguy, Kindiman, Nimbat1003, Nikhil Sharma)
    #2:6 (ffff0, Sentinel Beach, Crepe, Paulmci27, MiserablePerson, Capnbobamous)
    #3:1 (James Davie)
    #4:0
    #HM:2 (PHBZ, ED_ZED_EH_INTERN)
    Release Date: October 28th 2008 (NA), October 30th 2008 (PAL)
    Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform: PS3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_3

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• And the EZA Community 2008 Game of the Year is.....
    0_1629041241446_5c298d59-0a20-4a41-abae-e32260db0727-image.png
    #1.GTA IV=49 Points
    #1:6 (James Davie, Bam541, PHBZ, Sentinel Beach, DIPSET, VicRattler)
    #2:2 (Kindiman, Nikhil Sharma)
    #3:2 (Shoulderguy, ffff0)
    #4:1 (Scotty)
    #HM:3 (Crepe, Nimbat1003, MiserablePerson)
    Release Date: 29th April 2008
    Developer: Rockstar North
    Publisher: Rockstar Games
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform: PS3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• An extremely tight finale but GTA IV just slips by Fallout 3 as the EZA Community 2008 Game of the Year. It's been a very enjoyable ride getting to this spot and with an extremely competitive final 2 it's been very exciting to curate such a fantastic list. As for what can be said about Fallout 3 and GTA IV? Both are incredible games at the tip top of their respective genres at this time. Fallout 3 had a captivating open-world action RPG experience that actually got me into action RPGs. Back in 2008 I thought all RPGs were turn-based, fantastical and samey and Fallout 3 changed my perception completely. As for GTA IV, it's an impeccable open-world sandbox game that bends towards a gritty realistic tilt but is nonetheless utterly enthralling-putting story and characters first has paid off in heaps. I generally couldn't imagine a better final two games to square off.

Thank you very much to all who voted and made this experience so fantastic. It's my first time curating a top 25 on this wonderful community forum. I have to thank @Axel for giving me the reigns to whip this list up. I know there are improvements that need to be made to my approach curating these lists, so if you have recommendations for any improvements I should make feel free to PM me.

• Wow! It doesn't get much closer than that.

@JDINCINERATOR So Fallout 3 had 13 voters and GTA IV had 14. That was the tie-breaker?

• @shoulderguy That and GTA IV had more #1 votes.