Polygon looking for reviewers

• @Whoaness Well, what I said in the back half of that post about Gamergate. That and the post that got deleted linked to a /r/KotakuInAction thread about Polygon.

And @flower_arrangement, while I appreciate your appeal for civility, I think we can both speak truth and remain civil. Because shutting ourselves up is, frankly, how the terrorists win. ;)

• @Haru17

Ha ha, hey now, wasn't asking you to shut up, far from it. Just preemptively pushing off away from some jagged rocks.

• Just in case people wanted to know, this is the guy who does Polygons videos. He (Nick Robinson / Babylonian) does dumb game streams (and more than a few sarcastish social eating ones). But about 26 minutes into this one was the funniest thing I've seen all summer. It's... it's perfect.

• MOD NOTE - Guys this isn't a hate on Polygon thread (nor do we want one), Hashtagonist has provided a genuinely good opportunity into games journalism. Less of the outrage and cynicism.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Polygon looking for reviewers:

@ZyloWolfBane Kotaku is owned by Gawker Media, Polygon is owned by Vox Media. No connection, as far as I know.

@Sazime said in Polygon looking for reviewers:

@ZyloWolfBane Noooope, they've part of Vox.

And I don't understand the hate either. I don't agree with a couple of the editorial folks over there very often, but I do enjoy reading their articles.

Oh oops, I thought they were both under gawker. My mistake.

Also sheesh I dislike the site but not as much as the rest of the topic, I will say that just for the freelance aspect it's not a bad gig, there's few sites like that around anymore now that 1-up went down along with a few others, it probably isn't a bad idea, maybe you could be the one who changes people's perceptions of the site as a whole, who knows? I'll just show myself out now
    alt text

• @Haru17 said in Polygon looking for reviewers:

@Whoaness said in Polygon looking for reviewers:

@Haru17 What does Gamergate have anything to do with this? Do you even know what Gamergate is?

Gamergate is a (abysmally-titled) borderline to over-the-line sexist group of pop culture-enthused men, nearly all of whom take entertainment journalism waaaaay too seriously.

Well you obviously know nothing.

• @Musou-Tensei said in Polygon looking for reviewers:

Well you obviously know nothing.

alt text

• Banned

@Musou-Tensei Yeah man. Preach!
    Goobergate is a consortium of professional, highly educated individuals who only wanted to expose corruption in the games journalism industry by jerking off into a pool of hatred focused on a literally who gamedev who made a literally who game.
    I mean, fuck corporate level corruption, paid reviews, and all that, BITCH HAS PINK HIGHLIGHTS! CANCER KILLING GAMING!!

Tldr if you describe GG by what they THINK their goals are, they sound kinda cool. If you describe them by their ACTUAL goals and actions, they are human garbage.

But hey, how about dat Polygon?

• @Art said in Polygon looking for reviewers:

Humans have a vast range of emotions. Deal with it.

Yup. You can't honestly expect everyone to have happy lalala opinions about everything.

There's nothing wrong with anything that was said in this thread earlier. No personal attacks directed at users here, and Polygon does deserve some dislike for the use of clickbait titles. And twisting quotes from game developers to create buzz and controversity. After all, if you want to preach jollyness. They have created articles meant to cause division among gamers.

We do not live in a utopian world where everything is perfect and lovable. And we can't all honestly say that we have a positive opinion about everything that's messed up about this world.

• @-Jak- said in Polygon looking for reviewers:

@Art said in Polygon looking for reviewers:

Humans have a vast range of emotions. Deal with it.

Yup. You can't honestly expect everyone to have happy lalala opinions about everything.

There's nothing wrong with anything that was said in this thread earlier. No personal attacks directed at users here, and Polygon does deserve some dislike for the use of clickbait titles. And twisting quotes from game developers to create buzz and controversity. After all, if you want to preach jollyness. They have created articles meant to cause division among gamers.

We do not live in a utopian world where everything is perfect and lovable. And we can't all honestly say that we have a positive opinion about everything that's messed up about this world.

I don't think anyone is asking for naivete or ignorance, but rather empathy - because [A] the industry is actually TINY and [B] currently dealing with a serious attitude/image crisis brought on by what is LITERALLY the worst thing to happen to our industry in its entire history (GG). Sure, respond with whatever emotions you want, just don't expect to be taken seriously or listened to if you're being hostile. There's a way to express a differing viewpoint without creating an uncomfortable environment for others.

This whole thread baffles me. As I understand it, the appeal of EZA is its core message of Love and Respect. Yet here, another outlet is mentioned and THIS happens. And some of the reasoning for the hate... jesus christ. Even EZA guys have literally mentioned multiple times they have NEVER seen or heard of anyone getting kickbacks for positive coverage or whatever other random GG propaganda everyone likes to recite at the mere mention of Polygon or Kotaku. Or complaining about their moralising by ironically doing exactly that in turn. As a dev in the industry, i sat on the fence after a brief run in with the hate machine that is GG. Honestly, I'm still too scared to mention them on twitter, even though my run in was microscopic in comparison. And now I see even a hint of the same attitudes or jargon rearing its head here and like hell if I will I let it stand now. I LOVE this community, and the positive focus EZA pushes. We should strive for that, not some tired hostile regurgitated rhetoric.

If i was a writer, I'd kill for a gig at an establishment as prominent as Polygon. It's a good opportunity regardless.

Love and respect.

• @sblomkamp Good post Steven.

If anything guys/girls, if you truly believe there is a problem with games media, why not be the change yourself?

If you truly believe Polygon is the bad guy, why not join their ranks and dilute their evil with your righteousness?

The opportunity is there to make a difference and "fix" what you deem broken.

• @sblomkamp said in Polygon looking for reviewers:

Or complaining about their moralising by ironically doing exactly that in turn.

Preach!

Polygon actually did a really neat tutorial video for getting into Monster Hunter (specifically Generations). A quick and dirty 15 minutes that explains all of the (labyrinthine) item and menu systems that are impossible for newcomers to get.

Youtube Video

• @sblomkamp said in Polygon looking for reviewers:

I don't think anyone is asking for naivete or ignorance, but rather empathy - because [A] the industry is actually TINY and [B] currently dealing with a serious attitude/image crisis brought on by what is LITERALLY the worst thing to happen to our industry in its entire history (GG). Sure, respond with whatever emotions you want, just don't expect to be taken seriously or listened to if you're being hostile. There's a way to express a differing viewpoint without creating an uncomfortable environment for others.

This whole thread baffles me. As I understand it, the appeal of EZA is its core message of Love and Respect. Yet here, another outlet is mentioned and THIS happens. And some of the reasoning for the hate... jesus christ. Even EZA guys have literally mentioned multiple times they have NEVER seen or heard of anyone getting kickbacks for positive coverage or whatever other random GG propaganda everyone likes to recite at the mere mention of Polygon or Kotaku. Or complaining about their moralising by ironically doing exactly that in turn. As a dev in the industry, i sat on the fence after a brief run in with the hate machine that is GG. Honestly, I'm still too scared to mention them on twitter, even though my run in was microscopic in comparison. And now I see even a hint of the same attitudes or jargon rearing its head here and like hell if I will I let it stand now. I LOVE this community, and the positive focus EZA pushes. We should strive for that, not some tired hostile regurgitated rhetoric.

Well apparently people are being taken seriously for stating different opinions. As this has quickly become the most active thread on this site. I also would hardly call anything posted here hostile. And very far from community destructive. If anything, this topic has displayed the community can state a disagreement and be fairly civil about it. No caps lock, personal attacks, excessive cursing, or attempts to humiliate anyone. There's not even one meme posted here.

And this isn't news that Polygon is not well like among gamers, even among those who don't follow GG. Polygon has been getting discredited in gaming circles for quite some time. While also being almost universally disliked by the GT forum community.

Discouraging different opinions that maintain some form of civility on what's ultimately a minor petty disagreement. Is an excessive form of political correctness and censorship. Two things that will inhibit the growth and sustainability of a forum community. Because people will ironically, be discouraged to post something that doesn't align with the majority.

• @-Jak- Personally, I don't view it as being politically correct asking people to not be hostile towards a gaming site just in general but moreso in this case because it holds no relevance to the topic at hand. The OP talked about a freelance opportunity writing gig, not what everyone's opinion on Polygon actually is.

2nd rule of the charter for this forum - Stay on Topic - As long as everyone in a thread is happy, this shouldn't really be an issue. On rare occasions when a thread has been completely derailed we might try to steer it back on course or lock it up.

It's fair to have complaints about whatever you'd like to vent about but when they don't really add to the original conversation and make the conversation lose its focus, it's also fair a lot of people see no reason for others to express those complaints. If the thread was labelled, "Give Your Opinion on Polygon," then lay it on all you like. Hell, there was an extremely negative thread about The Witcher 3 but that wasn't a big deal because that was the intent of the thread - to express dissatisfaction of the game.

Off-topic hate always seems like people are pursuing their own agendas despite what is actually being discussed.

Also, just because I feel it needs to be said, I'm not trying to be hostile, just expressing the way I see the situation. Love & respect.

• @SabotageTheTruth
    I do agree that this thread did get slightly off topic. Some posts more than others. As how credible Polygon is as a workplace does hold some merit. Even though it got a bit excessive.

However, it does show that the community is capable of a civil disagreement. No reason for anyone to act like WWIII broke out over what is a petty disagreement. And personally, that's what drove me to post here. Seeing people upset that a 24/7 jolly theme wasn't sustained, is not the end of the world. And far from being the beginning of the end for this community.

• Been looking through the posts here, and while things have gotten a bit off topic (and I am officially requesting they go back on topic) I have to agree with @-Jak- in that this recent debate was handled quite maturely. You have my kudos.

Now then, back on topic please.

• Banned

Geez, let people dislike Polygon if they want to. People are allowed to dislike things.

EDIT: Sorry Chaos, didn't see your comment until after I posted mine.

• I get that people don't like Polygon, I generally don't have much of an issue with them besides some reviews I just didnt agree with. I will say though if someone is interested in getting into gaming journalism or whatever not a bad way to start.
    Couple years back I was able to do some freelance stuff with Destructoid. It was really fun and educational to learn how the other side functions.
    And hey, maybe someone from this board will be the change and catalysis that will make polygon a better site for all of us, who knows.

• This post is deleted!

• It would be cool though, if they did have people with opposing views of other people though.