OoT vs Wind Waker vs Twilight Princess

• Clickbait title

I'm not actually wondering which is the best but for the first time in my life I have access to Zelda games other than BotW.

My CRT is set up and I've come into the Zelda Collection (emulated GC version of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask), as well as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

0_1625441073318_Zelda02.jpg

0_1625441086055_Zelda03.jpg

0_1625441097315_Zelda01.jpg

The only Zelda's I've really sunk my teeth into are Zelda 1, about 50% of BotW, and like 3ish hours of Wind Waker.

--

So since I have access to them all, where would you recommend I start?

I think if I was rating by vibes, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker look to be the most up my alley.

I know OoT is and official Easy Allies "One of the Greats" so obviously I think starting there might be a good idea too.

--

In general, what do you recommend for someone who's never played Zelda?

Thanks!

• Play them in order of release. For sure don't start with Majora because it's such a strange Zelda game. Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are all simular games though.

• I would play OOT first, then MM (which is a direct sequel and reuses OOT's engine). Note that with the GC versions of OOT & MM, you may encounter emulation issues such as audio bugs/inaccuracy, visual bugs/inaccuracy, and crashes. It's still your best bet though, as the more stable Wii Virtual Console versions are no longer officially available, the Wii U Virtual Console versions have input lag and look darker, and a Nintendo 64 + cartridges + mandatory Expansion Pak for MM are going to be $$$.

I personally don't recommend the GameCube version of Wind Waker because the art style comes across as much more cartoony than the Wii U remaster - I'm talking preschool cartoony. The sailing mechanics and pre-endgame quest have also been much improved in the remaster. That said, a Wii U + game could be $$$.

I personally way, WAY prefer Twilight Princess over Wind Waker, but play whichever one speaks to you louder first. :)

• Release order is a very good order, both because that's always a fun approach and because these games in particular get incrementally longer and bigger.

• @oscillator said in OoT vs Wind Waker vs Twilight Princess:

and a Nintendo 64 + cartridges + mandatory Expansion Pak for MM are going to be $$$.

I was digging through my cords bag and I think I do in fact have an expansion pack.

I'll still continue to play the GC version since I have it, but it's good to know if I'm willing to throw down $100 one day on OoT or Majora's Mask, it'll still work. Kinda worried cause my disc is scratched up but it seems to be working fine so far.

I guess it's settled, I'll go in order. Nobody hold me to updates though cause I'm working at my games at a sloooooow pace.

EDIT:

Pardon my ignorance, but this is what I found in my cords bag.

N64 "Jumper Pack"
    0_1625497178292_N6401.jpg

And this thing is already in my two systems:
    0_1625497212164_N6402.jpg

Should I pry out the red one and put the Jumper in there?

• @dipset No, the Jumper pack is what was inside your system before you bought the expansion pack.

• @chocobop

Hmmm strange. I cannot recall ever buying the Expansion Pak when I was little. I wasn’t even aware of resolutions and all that back then. I never owned DK64 or Perfect Dark until somebody donated it to me. I never even played Majora’s Mask.

Maybe my step dad just got it for me thinking it’s something I should have. Or maybe they just came included at a certain point.

Also turns out my friend has OoT and MM on N64 so I might just play it using his copy. Waiting on his confirmation that he found them.

• @dipset I'm moving trans-Pacific next year so if you can get your way to Vancouver, you can have my copy of Majora's Mask.

• VERY helpful that you have the necessary hardware for the N64 versions (I didn't even notice the N64 in the first photo). :)