The Nintendo Effect

• I don't know about y'all but when I play a Nintendo console it always feels more breezy and relaxed than when I play other systems. I suppose it might be because of the cheery, easier and more accessible games, but I always feel chill and happy playing on a Nintendo system. Sure Nintendo have lots of problems in certain respects, but when it comes to playing games they're unquestionable as far as I'm concerned. That might sound fanboyish but there's just a very distinct vibe I get when I play a Nintendo system that PlayStation nor Xbox can or will ever replicate.

• I've been playing my GC and N64 lately and I definitely get a hint of nostalgia with the GC especially. Puttering around in that menu is quite adorable and I absolutely love the opening animation before you start a game. I still feel cozy digging into those older Nintendo games and moreso the multiplatform games of that era.

But the Wii was a complete fucking eyesore, I hated the menu music, and I didn't care for the very small handful of game I played. My Switch is kinda just a pain in the ass tbh. I get almost the opposite effect of what you're describing. Whenever I play a game on it, I kinda wish I was just playing it on PlayStation instead. The joycons are absolute dogshit. I hate charging them, I hate their drift, I hate their pseudo-disconnections. I buy a game like Pixel Junk Monsters 2 on Switch thinking I might enjoy playing it portable but it just runs horrible compared to the PS4 version.

I think I feel the complete opposite of cozy and relaxed with Nintendo at this point. I'll be relaxed when things just work right and don't frustrate me.

• I kinda feel the same way but for PlayStation. I grew up with PS2, PSP and PS3 so it's not surprising. Seeing the PlayStation button prompts in games just feels the most right to me. I'm not completely used yet to other button prompts, whether it keyboard keys or ABXY. I also have a big preference towards symmetrical analogs which are only on PlayStation controllers these days.

• Eh? I mean I get where people are coming from saying they like the menus of certain systems or the cute startup stuff Nintendo used to do, especially loved on N64 where they'd read out Nintendo in the voice of the character from the game you're about to play when it starts, but that's hardly a thing anymore. There's alot I like about different systems like the mushy buttons on the PSP or the themes from the 3DS, but personally I don't find any system particularly nicer to play on than another. Always depends on the game you're playing. I do appreciate how fast the Switch gets you into a game with minimal BS to deal with, but that also comes at the cost of nothing charming like those 3DS themes. Even the cute shop music from the Wii U and 3DS era are gone now on the Switch, which is a bummer that I'm not sure is worth the faster store startup speed.

I know you admitted yourself it sounds fanboyish, but yeah that's exactly how it sounds. Makes me curious which games in particular you're playing on Nintendo versus the others since that's the only potential difference I can glean from your post.

@DIPSET said:

the Wii was a complete fucking eyesore, I hated the menu music, and I didn't care for the very small handful of game I played.

Big same. I couldn't stand the Wii era. Of course there's some good games, but they were buried under truckloads of shovelware because everyone wanted that Wii money. I never liked dealing with the Sensor Bar either, and my play setups have always been bad for the motion controls working properly. Also didn't like how dumbed down the first party Nintendo games of that time were, because it was literally a mandate to help ease casuals in. Thank fuck they moved back away from that in the Wii U era. I definitely spent the majority of this time gaming over on PS3, because they had way more interesting stuff going on with indies, the beginnings of remote play, and their big games were still interesting before the Uncharted direction started to infect everything.

The joycons are absolute dogshit. I hate charging them, I hate their drift, I hate their pseudo-disconnections.

Bought a Switch Pro Controller launch day along with my Switch, and it was the correct decision. Still can count the number of times I've used the Joycon on both hands. Unfortunately after a couple years of wear, even my Pro Controller started drifting. I know how to temporarily fix it now, wiping the dust under the stick before making a seal around it with my hand and blowing into it, but it is quite annoying to have to keep doing regularly. Apparently all the controller mechanisms these days are the same, so it effects everything eventually, so there's no escape. Can we please make things more modular already, so we can more easily swap out and replace minor parts? Still, the Switch Pro Controller feels real good in your hands and doesn't lose connection like the Joycon, because your hands don't eclipse the antenna sending the signal. A Gamecube Wavebird is the only one I still like more than the Switch Pro Controller, but unfortunately all the Gamecube controllers they brought forward for Switch are wired ones based on the normal design that's more compacted and less airy. I prefer when controllers stay a cool temperature.

@bam541 said:

I'm not completely used yet to other button prompts

Button prompts always fuck me up. When I play on PC they usually default to the Xbox standard. Switch of course follows Nintendo. Then throw Playstation in the mix, and no matter what I'm playing on now I second guess what's what and have to look at the controller to remind myself when a game has something like QTEs. I wish they'd standardize it already, but everyone is too proud to come together and agree on something.

• @mbun said in The Nintendo Effect:

Bought a Switch Pro Controller launch day along with my Switch, and it was the correct decision. Still can count the number of times I've used the Joycon on both hands.

I guess the problem for me is that I feel stupid for investing more in something that I don't like playing all that much. The base-level essentials add up: Switch ($399 + tax), protective case ($15), carrying case ($20), screen protector ($12), 64GB microSD ($25). Before Mario and Zelda we're already looking at $600. Couldn't imagine getting a $90 Pro Controller AND more joycons for gaming with friends.

So all this to say, again, I really don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling with Nintendo these days. $600 later and my controller still disconnects.

• @dipset said:

protective case ($15), carrying case ($20), screen protector ($12), 64GB microSD ($25)

I didn't get any of this at launch. I two years later got a good sized SD card for cheap and a nice BotW carrying case for business trips, but still don't have a protective case or screen protector, and I definitely don't bring the center system alone on the go enough to need either.

Switch ($399 + tax), protective case ($15), carrying case ($20), screen protector ($12), 64GB microSD ($25). Before Mario and Zelda we're already looking at $600.

That's closer to $500, but again I think some of that stuff is pretty extra depending on how you use the system. Maybe just because I don't typically have that much disposable income, but I've never been one to frontload accessories onto an already pricey console launch. I just space it out and don't buy things until I need them, but that said I consider a normal controller something I need, and from the sound of it so do you.

more joycons for gaming with friends

Big skip, but I'll reiterate that I believe the Pro Controller to be worth it and it alone will probably change the kind of time you're having with the system.

• @dipset Pretty much my feelings exactly.
    Something happened to that magic around the Wii era and it has to really felt the same since.

• @dipset said in The Nintendo Effect:

The joycons are absolute dogshit. I hate charging them, I hate their drift, I hate their pseudo-disconnections.

So just use a Switch Pro Controller like most other normal people would then....

• Yeah bro just buy a new controller!

Youtube Video

• @el-shmiablo just let me know when Sony fixes the problem won't you?

Youtube Video

• @yoshi Sure thing, lil buddy.
    In the meantime, just buy a new controller!

• @yoshi

Again though. It’s $90+tax for one pro controller. You can’t divide it in two when playing with friends. When I got the Switch I had 3 roommates. So if anything it made sense to get another joy con so we can divide them into 4 controllers.

We actually spent more time just playing N64 as a group than Switch for that reason. We already had the controllers and liked the party games more. That experience definitely had the Nintendo effect. 4 roommates playing Nintendo hovered around a small TV. It was a good time.

And the PS5 allegedly has this drift but my experience with the joy con was immediate out of the box on Mario Odyssey. Started in the Mermaid level. I thought I was going crazy.

• @dipset Bro you really need to stop being critical of Nintendo. It's against the law.

• @dipset said in The Nintendo Effect:

It’s $90+tax for one pro controller.

your country is weird. why do you guys say a dollar amount and then plus tax?

just include tax in the price in the first bloody place. we just say $99.95 in Australia. none of this having to work out tax on top of the price crap you guys do
    https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/nintendo-switch/217630-nintendo-switch-pro-controller

• Shame on Dipset for assuming people know basic math.

• @yoshi

Because we aren’t a monolith. Coast to coast country has many different provinces and governments. Retail lists the MSRP for simplicity.

There are different sales tax rates for different provinces. Some are high, some are low, some don’t have sales tax. Some provinces have electronic recycling fees. It’s infinitely easier to just list MSRP then add on your provincial tax and federal tax.

• I have to defend the joycons! I mostly use the Pro but... the joycons let you just lie down on the chaise longue with you arms stretched and that's the ultimate way of playing something like Animals Crossing.

• @phbz I'm also big on this posture but often find myself wishing the buttons felt better.

• I think playing the Wii was quite magical once I got over my animosity towards Nintendo. Previously I thought Nintendo went supremely casual with the Wii and the rise of Wii Sports, Wii Fit and all that shovelware convinced me that was the case. I was 15 at the time so wasn't very open-minded and respectful of the various audiences that Nintendo wanted to appease in order to push the industry forward. When I finally got a Wii in Christmas 2008 I began to really enjoy and savor my time on the Wii. The Wii main menu music is a relaxing tune, so chill that I very much appreciate. Then all these joyful and casual games made me feel like I'm experiencing a leisurely and steady flow, as opposed to playing on PS3 and Xbox 360 where I'd be shooting and slashing and tearing shit up. The Wii did a great job of making me see videogames as a pleasure that can make me feel genuinely good in myself rather than constantly trying to challenging me all the time.