HERE'S YOUR DARN SWITCH PRO!!!!

• This post is deleted!

• Do you mean a standalone console none portable or a ps4/xbone one standard portable?

• @paulmci27 Are you talking to me?
    I was saying that Nintendo could easily release a more powerful console while maintaining the library across them. The Xbox and PlayStation have no trouble doing this.

Then again, I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if Nintendo ditch support for the console when they drop a new one, just like the Wii and WiiU.

• @el-shmiablo Yeah thats what id hope they'd do. Couldn't see them doing it though even though the concept of the swith was kinda mute when they released the Switch lite. I'd love a more powerful console alternative.

• @el-shmiablo said:

Why not just make it system level like the Xbox One/PlayStation 4?

Because devs won't hold back and will continue to push forward, using good enough on the beefier hardware as an excuse for letting lesser experiences slip through on the lesser hardware. Happened with the 3DS, and it would've happened again with the Switch. I'm not even talking your full Cyberpunk situations, more subtle stuff than that, but you definitely feel the pressure to upgrade when the games that ran well enough before a new beefier system was out suddenly feel like they're taxing your system beyond the limits and it is basically a matter of time before it buckles under the extra strain.

I was saying that Nintendo could easily release a more powerful console while maintaining the library across them.

I imagine when Switch's successor comes it'll stay backwards compatible with Switch games, but it will be a successor where the games on it won't run on Switch anymore. Who knows though? Nobody saw this coming today, especially the name, so guessing Nintendo's next move continues to be a fool's errand.

• What a stupid move! Way to go Nintendo. At least I don't have to wait for a new more powerful model anymore...

• @mbun I mean, does that really matter when most of the games on the platform are already lesser experiences? This is literally just the risk people run buying hardware. Something better will always come out at some point and render the previous hardware obsolete.
    With that said, while I enjoy playing games with better graphics and smoother framerates, I don't think games are inherently worse if played on weaker hardware, as long as it meets a baseline. I loved playing Dark Souls 3 at 1080p/30, but I also enjoyed playing it at 1440p/unlocked when I upgraded to the pro. But I guess the situation on the Switch is different, seeing as it can barely run some games as is. Like if somebody told me their only option to play Wolfenstein was on the Switch, I'd probably tell them not to bother.

You're right though, guessing what Nintendo will do is silly, since they don't seem to make their decisions with any kind of sense.

• This is pretty much what I was expecting. The only time Nintendo did a half-step upgrade ala Xbox One X and PS4 Pro was the New Nintendo 3DS, and it was barely supported.

The other consoles have a much more substantial hardcore crowd that they can sell those kinds of upgrades to. Nintendo doesn't. The Switch has sold and continues to sell gangbusters even though it was weaker than the previous gen of competition and MUCH weaker than the current gen. All the signals from management have been that they're very happy with how the Switch has performed and that it has (paraphrasing) "redefined what a hardware cycle can look like".

Rather than being any kind of a Switch+, I see this Switch as being its proper form. Two of the upgrades they've added, the ethernet port and the wide kickstand, should've been there at launch. And maybe they were meant to be. The Switch had more design flaws compared to ALL of Nintendo's previous hardware, which were more than likely due to launching 'hot' because the Wii U's cycle was ended early.

• @el-shmiablo said in HERE'S YOUR DARN SWITCH PRO!!!!:

I mean, does that really matter when most of the games on the platform are already lesser experiences?

Huh, this is a good point that I never hear made. For the past 2 years it was always the opposite reasoning that would be offered every time Switch Pro speculation came up.

• @el-shmiablo said:

does that really matter when most of the games on the platform are already lesser experiences?

Well I mean in the sense that devs will be more lax on optimization of the original unit, instead making sure it runs that well on the beefier one. If there's no beefier hardware, there's more pressure to keep making sure the games run well on the hardware everyone has, rather than the lower end spec hardware you're trying to ween your users away from anyways.

I don't think games are inherently worse if played on weaker hardware, as long as it meets a baseline.

Yeah, it is all about developers continuing to hit that baseline on the original hardware, instead of giving up and targeting it on the updated model instead with the back excuse of "well it runs well on the New / Pro / etc.".

But I guess the situation on the Switch is different

People keep forgetting it is a glorified Handheld, until they make a model without that component, it will always be a glorified Handheld. Seems very weak for a Console, because it really isn't a Console. This new model enforces that even harder with most the features being Handheld focused. Kind of hope when Switch gets a successor they do branch into a dedicated sit at home Console option on top of what has been offered during the life of the Switch so far though, because as nice as it is playing my Switch Tabletop Mode when our power goes out during Hurricane Season, that's so incredibly rare I'd happily forego it for a more powerful system that's solely a home Console.

@Oscillator said:

Two of the upgrades they've added, the ethernet port and the wide kickstand, should've been there at launch.

The Ethernet Port should've been there back during the Wii era. That's less a design flaw of the Switch and more a design flaw of Nintendo until now. Original Switch's Kickstand has been fine for me so far, but as I've said time and time again, I super rarely ever use my Switch outside the Dock, and when I do I have stable surfaces to prop it up on, so really depends on how you're trying to use it. New Kickstand is great I guess if you have shaky train commutes or something that you're trying to prop your Switch up during, but this new one would basically make no difference to me. Also, I just want to reiterate how shitty it is that they went to the trouble of making a more robust Kickstand, and still didn't include a swivel to prop your Switch Vertically for all the games that support that. Yeah, it is a pretty niche need, but this would've been the perfect time to include that without the need for a Third Party Accessory.

Anyways, they confirmed the new Switch Docks are compatible with the old Switch "cores", so that's nice at least. They're too expensive to go impulse buy a new Dock just because, but if you have young kids or clumsy pets so you want a dock with the even rounder edges or we find out the Ethernet Port in the new Dock makes Online way better than the Ethernet Adapter plugged into the old Dock, least it isn't a matter of having to buy a completely new Switch to take advantage of either. Could also see getting a new Dock for a central room you can plug Wired from for Online Play while having your old Dock in a bedroom or such, so you can still play from the tv in there but only with Wireless, mostly just for downloading games / updates. The option is nice to have, even though they're about $30 more than the convenience is currently worth to me personally.