• So I know with each upvote, we gain a point of "reputation" on our profile. Besides this counter going up, are there any plans for additional functionality or representation of general awesomeness in the future? I need to brag about how amazing I am, after all.

In all seriousness, it could be interesting and would potentially lead to more "quality" posts in hopes of getting rewards. As long as the pitfalls of people begging for upvotes are avoided, it could turn into a fun sidequest of sorts. Even something simple like a silver/gold/platinum border around avatars or something a little more rewarding like extra customization of profiles or... hidden themes, all would be great. I'm just spitballing here.

If my idea is terrible, then let's pretend I never brought this up. Or if you have much better ideas for rewards, share 'em!

• On one of the forums I moderate, you get a title next to your name that changes based on your reputation score, which is a cool way for people to show off the contributions they've made to the site. Having reputation score be visible on member profiles is another great way, and something we're working on coding into that forum is a page of the top 20 most upvoted active members.

• I don't think it should be rewarded. People would just clog the forums with forum games or list threads to intentionally get upvoted.

Just be happy you're trying to make the community a better place.

• @Whoaness said in Reputation:

I don't think it should be rewarded. People would just clog the forums with forum games or list threads to intentionally get upvoted.

Just be happy you're trying to make the community a better place.

Agreed. Just be proud of your number, don't get obsessed with showing it off.

• I'm setting up RA (reputationolics anonymous). We meet once a week to talk about the terrible threads we make to try and get those dirty little numbers up. It's a no judgement zone and we always welcome new members. Upvote spamming alt accounts however are barred at the door.

• RPG. Mechanics.

• I bring this up because I heard rumors of the old Gametrailers forum long, long ago giving away things like game codes and such to active members that "played nice" and that's a neat incentive. I think there's definitely a way to implement something interesting without the forum getting clogged with games - although I personally enjoy the games here, it adds extra flavor.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Reputation:

I bring this up because I heard rumors of the old Gametrailers forum long, long ago giving away things like game codes and such to active members that "played nice" and that's a neat incentive. I think there's definitely a way to implement something interesting without the forum getting clogged with games - although I personally enjoy the games here, it adds extra flavor.

There was a sort of 'points' system that had you gain points every time you posted or watched a video or entered a blog (up to a certain number of posts/videos/blogs per day, and with blogs might actually have been per week) which you could then use to bid on stuff. (or, as they were being phased out, just flat out redeemed for stuff) Good concept, but the execution was flawed. (you'd save up for an auction, the average GTP final bid would go up, and so on and so forth)

• I've never been a fan of reputation systems personally, I feel like it incentivizes people into saying what they think others want to hear instead of what they actually want to say. That said I don't hate that it exists but I don't think racking up a high rep should be rewarded beyond just personal gratification.

• @DeweyDTruman said in Reputation:

I've never been a fan of reputation systems personally, I feel like it incentivizes people into saying what they think others want to hear instead of what they actually want to say. That said I don't hate that it exists but I don't think racking up a high rep should be rewarded beyond just personal gratification.

Because it does. Try posting something—anything—about feminism, women, or anything related on reddit. You might as well delete your post the second you make it.

• Voting should honestly only be for practical purposes, like for visibility. This is something reddit has failed completely with and just turned the voting system into a like/dislike system, which is pointless.

While the idea of getting rewards is neat, it would in the end not make the forum any better and only risk creating people fishing for upvotes.

• @ChaosBahamut oh man i do miss GTP, got me a cool GT hat from that system, uf yall bring it back like it was before it was removed i think i'd be perfect.

we just use our points to buy EZA merch, it;ll help us poor folk get cool stuff that we otherwise couldn't afford.

• @alexwhiteplays said in Reputation:

On one of the forums I moderate, you get a title next to your name that changes based on your reputation score, which is a cool way for people to show off the contributions they've made to the site. Having reputation score be visible on member profiles is another great way, and something we're working on coding into that forum is a page of the top 20 most upvoted active members.

I've always liked the title thing.

• One way around the potential circle-jerk nature of voting systems would be to keep it like how it is now where there's only upvoting and no downvoting. In any forum that has voting down as an option, especially when it comes to repercussions for very low-ranked posts, rating systems tend to be abused. However, when it's only a friendly upvote that you can give, I haven't seen a situation where anything got out of hand. Some things get voted up more than others, and if you post what you think others want to hear then you can theoretically game the system, but with no actual reward other than knowing that you're on a page somewhere there's little incentive to do that. Voting up only = good vibes. It's just science.

• I know I'm late to the party, but I absolutely agree with you, @alexwhiteplays. It's nice to get a couple of upvotes for a post you really put some effort into but that should be reward enough, iyam.
    @flower_arrangement Nice one, made me laugh. Here have an upvote. :P