Late to the (Remastered) Party

• Over the past couple years, we've seen a lot of older games/franchises getting a remaster or remake for modern gaming platforms, and for many people, these remaster/remakes are their first contact with those games. Are there any games/franchises that you guys played for the first time through these remaster/remake efforts that really clicked with you?

For me, the one that I really enjoyed is the Shenmue 1+2 Remaster. I have been wanting to play these games for a long time, so when the remaster was announced, I was so happy. Both games are a good time, but the first game is legitimately one of my favorite games ever. The level of detail and the liveliness of the world's atmosphere in these games are simply mindblowing, considering the time which these games came out. I personally liked the first game more because of the more comforting vibes of Yokosuka, I love being in that world so much. Shenmue II's depiction of Hong Kong is obviously meant to be a bit alienating and unfriendly. Also, I really like the restrained approach of these games to its combat. It's a big part of Shenmue, but also it never became too much of it. Right now I already have progressed through maybe near half of Shenmue III, and I'm taking it slow, baby.

Another example is Mafia: Definitive Edition. The gameplay is decent overall, but seeing the story, characters, and the city of Lost Haven itself in this very modern coat of paint is a treat. Man, I wish that game had a photo mode. The game is so beautiful! I already picked up Mafia II and III, excited to play those someday.

I also tried Ico through the PS3 Bluepoint remasters earlier this year, and boy, I fucking loved it. What a wonderful experience. It's like my number 3 favorite game of all time already. It's so minimalistic and elegant in its design. Exploring the castle is such an engaging task, the way every area feels so interconnected is somewhat surreal. It's definitely my favorite Fumito Ueda game.

• Shadow of the Colossus on the PS4, which I was very unsure about after the disastrous Last Guardian,but blew my socks off and became one of my all time favourites.

• There are so many to list. More than half of the game I own for PS4+PS5 are remasters or remakes.

Nier (PS4), Devil May Cry 3 (PS4), Shenme (PS4), Sly (PS3), Persona 4 (Vita), Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS5) are some standouts for me.

• I'm probably forgetting a few games that were actually remasters when I first played them, but these are some of my favorites:

Demon's Souls (2020), Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 (2019), Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, Pokémon LeafGreen, Ocarina of Time 3D, The Wind Waker HD.

• Mafia: Definitive Edition was terrific and I want to see more gangster shooters like it. I also think that last year's SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle For Bikini Bottom Rehydrated was a lovely and quite unexpected remaster that allowed a seventeen year-old game to be enhanced and experienced by new players. I'd love to see more remasters of games from the early 00s, especially ones that have fell by the wayside into a clotted obscurity. The Maximo games and i-Ninja could do with a similar revival as well as Second Sight and Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy.

• I think the The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena remake of the OG + expansion was the first remaster/remake I recall playing and it definitely jumped into my top games of all time. It's exactly what a remaster should be: a massive step up with new FX and techniques to bring a classic into the modern generation.

I'm actually beyond grateful for that game because I absolutely would not have played the OG 2004 version on PC around then without the 2009 PS3 version. I highly recommend this version to anyone who is a fan of immersive sim's, fps, stealth, and good vibes.

• @dipset I didn't know that it has a remake of the OG game too, that's really neat. I want to try this and also The Wheelman game that Vin is also starring in.

• Ah yes, Riddick and Wind Waker, another two titles I love and didn't play the original version.

• @bam541

I honestly don't know if it's considered a remake or a remaster but they didn't tinker with the game much. Just heavily improved the overall aesthetic. Some of the best atmosphere in any game I've ever played.

I've posted this interview a few times but I seriously recommend people check it out. So much care went into Dark Athena / Butcher Bay remaster.

0_1626110850371_7829adca-a9b5-4de2-9f5a-ecb56d9b6e01-image.png
    The Art of Gaming - "GRAND SLAM BUILDING THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ASSAULT ON DARK ATHENA"

• REmake and MGS:The Twin Snakes were my first time getting to play RE or Resident Evil titles that weren't just demos. Also both are sorta different extremes on the ideas behind a remake.

REmake is faithful, adds some new content that fits the style/ mood of the environment along with helping it link it to its sequels along with some small QOL improvements such as the 180 turn and defensive weapons

MGS:TS is faithful in level design and environment, but ports over all the gameplay refinements from MGS2 to an environment that wasn't designed with them in mind, and doesn't do anything to change things up because of said gameplay changes. the 2nd floor room with the tank in it (it's after getting off the elevator) doesn't have any changes to accommodate for the fact that you can just hop off the railing down to the second floor, without say a extra camera or two.

• Nier replicant would be the current topical answer for me