Steam Deck

• Since this is the new hotness in the world of gaming I figured we could use a dedicated thread to talk about it instead of just using the News thread as a dumping ground.

Post your news, thoughts, feelings, desires, memes and anything else regarding the Steam Deck here!

SKUs:
    0_1626460413168_steam-deck-prices.jpg

Specs:
    Operating System: SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based)
    Display: 7-inch diagonal, 1200×800 px
    Brightness: 400 nits
    Refresh rate: 60hz
    Processor: AMD APU, Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz
    Graphics: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz
    Memory: 16GB LPDDR5 RAM
    Storage: 64GB eMMC / 256GB SSD / 512GB SSD
    Expandable storage: MicroSD (but only for 64GB model)
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0
    Wi-Fi: Dual-band Wi-Fi radio, 2.4GHz and 5GHz
    Headphone jack: 3.5mm stereo headphone/headset jack
    Charging input: 45W USB Type-C PD3.0 power supply
    Battery: 40Whr battery, 2 – 8 hours of gameplay
    Size: 298mm x 117mm x 49mm
    Weight: ~669 grams

• It's the people's Switch Pro. I would be so on board for it if I didn't have to save up for a new laptop rn, my current one's gonna die out on me soon, I just know it.

If I ever bought one it would be the 256gb model. The 64gb just sounds like a trap to me. It's too little in storage, and it's not even an SSD.

My main reason for buying this would be so I can play all the indie games on Steam, since PC's are still the biggest platform for them. I mainly play on PlayStation so it would fill a big hole on my current gaming experience.

• @bam541 FYI you can install Windows to this so you could technically use it as a laptop.

• @el-shmiablo that's sound too thrifty for me, lol. If I ever got one, I would definitely play around with it and do stuff like that without relying on it for something important.

On a somewhat related note, I'm sure a lot of people are going to try to emulate the Switch with this, that will be fun to see.

• I will get it if I win the Lotto Max tonight. It’s a fucking sweet product. We’re spoiled nowadays to the point that I wouldn’t even know what to do with it even if I had it.

Portable PC gaming. That means portability from every major publisher. You could play Horizon Zero Dawn on the go in theory.

I just can’t justify. Gaming is an expensive hobby and this product just isn’t for me (at least right now). It’s still very cool but I gotta just step back and say “how much do I really need to invest in this gaming hobby?”

• @dipset Lol how do you not have at least $200 a month to spend exclusively on videogames?
    What are you, poor? A person with adult financial responsibilities?
    smh

Anyways, SOME MEMES!

0_1626472283891_1626437575680.jpg

0_1626472341168_unknown.png

• I won't buy it but if I did I would just emulate the Switch.

• It'll be funny if this ends up selling as much as the steam machine did.

Remember when that was supposed to be the next thing? Lmao

• @yoshi Steam Machines were really just compact computers. I think they didn't do well because there just wasn't a market for them when you could buy equivalent hardware in regular PC form at the same price, while maintaining all the other great things about PC.

But a portable device that can run today's games at decent settings, supports basically everything under the sun with zero modding/custom firmware/etc, for a pretty reasonable price? Sounds like a hit to me, and the pre-orders seem to support that.

• @el-shmiablo
    Communism also works in theory. Just in theory though.

Now let's see how things actually play out with the steam deck sales.

• @yoshi https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/07/html-holes-provide-a-glimpse-of-steam-decks-initial-preorder-numbers/
    110k pre-orders in the first 90 minutes of being available, and that only counts the 256 and 512 models.

Seems to be doing incredibly well.

• @el-shmiablo wii u also did well in pre orders and look how that played out long term...

• @yoshi I really liked the WiiU.
    :)

• People are buying houses for $500k above asking nowadays. I could release a middle school robotics caliber back scratcher and psycho’s would aggressively buy it for 2 straight years.

Steam Deck will do very well.

• The one concern I have for this is the battery life. It might be comparable to the Switch for indie/older games, but playing stuff like Horizon or Red Dead 2 is likely going to drain the thing in a couple hours tops.

It will be interesting to see what the first hands-on impressions bring up.

• This post is deleted!

• @yoshi Okay?
    This isn't the WiiU.

What are you doing, dude?

• @el-shmiablo clearly i'm pointing out that the steam deck having decent preorders means nothing. It could easily be a sales flop in the long term just like the wii u was.

How bout actually waiting more than 5 minutes before bragging about "success"?

• @yoshi Whatever helps you cope, I guess.

Anyways, more memes!

0_1626527580649_542554_R6MerPt7Ax_e6wmsvixeacnnat.jpg

0_1626527593699_kjwQJ5KUxdkyD63Xb3AWsC.jpg

0_1626527739084_caf.png

Also, DigitalFoundry posted a video that gives us a hint at what kind of power the thing will have.

Youtube Video

tl;dr it's basically closer to an XBox Series S in power, but with half the power draw. Literal generations ahead of the Switch on terms of power.
    Considering the base model is only 50 bux more expensive than the Switch OLED, that is pretty wild.

• Kudos for valve for making PC gaming affordable as GPU prices are raising to sky.

Hand held PC gaming is definitely innovation.