Steam Deck

• @oscillator thanks for sticking up for me.
    Unlike the rest of them.

• I feel like we're a small forum, so permabanning people would just make it more dead than it already is, and then the two of them would just go somewhere else and act like this, so I'm more for them correcting their behavior and encouraging them to grow as people versus shoving them out the door and locking it. Hell, even if we did that, I'm halfconvinced they'd just make different accounts and come right back anyways. I already suspect there might be some multiple accounts shenanigans going on.

That said, if they keep time and time again showing they're solely here to start flame wars, bait arguments, and troll, with no intention to change that, there's not much more you can do than ban / rangeban.

• Starting to think about the living room implications of Steam Deck. I've toyed with the idea of getting a new laptop with my partner but our older Macbooks still have some life left in them so it's hard to justify a new laptop until these die. On the video game side of things, I've thought an Xbox Series S might be nice for playing Game Pass in the living room, but if I'm willing to half step with an S, I could always kill two birds with one stone and get a laptop.

Then there is Steam Deck which is less than a laptop but somewhat comparable and also portable. I know I'm saying the obvious here but there might be more use for this Steam Deck than I originally imagined.

• @dipset Check the Digital Foundry vid on Steam Deck.
    If you are thinking of getting a Series S anyway, this is probably a better bet.

0_1626709727997_1626706420675m.jpg

Tim Sweeney and Phil Spencer are loving it! Probably drooling over the potential customers. Maybe push for native GamePass and EGS support? Fingers crossed!

• @el-shmiablo

I know Value likes to pretend they are everyone's friend (like CDPR), but I feel like deep down they see EGS, Game Pass, etc as a threat. I wouldn't be surprised if they sort of kneecap some of the potential app support this could have in theory. It is open platform after all but I honestly don't know how much they'll "support" competition.

• @dipset They've already confirmed that you can install Windows and other game stores, so it doesn't really matter what they want.
    I think the vast majority of people buying this will be too lazy to install Windows anyway.

• @el-shmiablo

It's already leaps and bounds above Apple Store policies and companies like MS having to make a web app for XBGP on Apple devices. When my iPhone 8 kicks the bucket in 2-3 years, I'm going to pick a smart phone that actually allows me to use the services I want to without Apple meddling.

So it's nice that Steam Deck is already an open platform. Again, I probably won't buy one of these until Gen 2 at the least but I kinda hope it does well. Playing PS4, PS2, PS1, Xbox, and PC games all on one portable device is kinda sweet.

• @el-shmiablo I think I actually hate anime

• @e_zed_eh_intern Like I said, I don't hate anime, just the fans.
    You know the type. Criticize something and they freak out and call you a ________ hater.
    It's a problem amongst pretty much all fan bases. Star Wars. Marvel. Etc etc.

Back on GT I was called an Xbox hater, PlayStation hater, Nintendo hater, and even a PC hater.
    Some people just lack critical thinking skills and think it is impossible to be a fan of something while criticizing it or having misgivings.

• @dipset I am 100% certain I have had this exact interaction on these forums at least 4 times.

• @el-shmiablo
    All with Sheria I think.

• Youtube Video

An hour and 15 minute deep dive into everything Steam Deck, from updated specs to comparisons to other hardware.