Steam Deck

• Starting to think about the living room implications of Steam Deck. I've toyed with the idea of getting a new laptop with my partner but our older Macbooks still have some life left in them so it's hard to justify a new laptop until these die. On the video game side of things, I've thought an Xbox Series S might be nice for playing Game Pass in the living room, but if I'm willing to half step with an S, I could always kill two birds with one stone and get a laptop.

Then there is Steam Deck which is less than a laptop but somewhat comparable and also portable. I know I'm saying the obvious here but there might be more use for this Steam Deck than I originally imagined.

• @dipset Check the Digital Foundry vid on Steam Deck.
    If you are thinking of getting a Series S anyway, this is probably a better bet.

0_1626709727997_1626706420675m.jpg

Tim Sweeney and Phil Spencer are loving it! Probably drooling over the potential customers. Maybe push for native GamePass and EGS support? Fingers crossed!

• @el-shmiablo

I know Value likes to pretend they are everyone's friend (like CDPR), but I feel like deep down they see EGS, Game Pass, etc as a threat. I wouldn't be surprised if they sort of kneecap some of the potential app support this could have in theory. It is open platform after all but I honestly don't know how much they'll "support" competition.

• @dipset They've already confirmed that you can install Windows and other game stores, so it doesn't really matter what they want.
    I think the vast majority of people buying this will be too lazy to install Windows anyway.

• @el-shmiablo

It's already leaps and bounds above Apple Store policies and companies like MS having to make a web app for XBGP on Apple devices. When my iPhone 8 kicks the bucket in 2-3 years, I'm going to pick a smart phone that actually allows me to use the services I want to without Apple meddling.

So it's nice that Steam Deck is already an open platform. Again, I probably won't buy one of these until Gen 2 at the least but I kinda hope it does well. Playing PS4, PS2, PS1, Xbox, and PC games all on one portable device is kinda sweet.

• @el-shmiablo I think I actually hate anime

• @e_zed_eh_intern Like I said, I don't hate anime, just the fans.
    You know the type. Criticize something and they freak out and call you a ________ hater.
    It's a problem amongst pretty much all fan bases. Star Wars. Marvel. Etc etc.

Back on GT I was called an Xbox hater, PlayStation hater, Nintendo hater, and even a PC hater.
    Some people just lack critical thinking skills and think it is impossible to be a fan of something while criticizing it or having misgivings.

• @dipset I am 100% certain I have had this exact interaction on these forums at least 4 times.

• @el-shmiablo
    All with Sheria I think.

• Youtube Video

An hour and 15 minute deep dive into everything Steam Deck, from updated specs to comparisons to other hardware.