EZA curates August games: What are you anticipating? What's worth checking out?

• A thread for examining the new games of August! Share your personal picks, interesting curios, and not quite there possibles...

Did you discover some small game that not everyone knows about?
    Share that and let us know what it is about!

Already know a thing or two that interests you?
    Make a list of your interests and/or possibles!

Don't know what's so great about an upcoming game you keep hearing about?
    Ask here!

Don't follow gaming news that closely and just want to passively see what BigGames™ people care about?
    This is the place!

~

Thread concept:

The basic idea is to list new games that you are interested in, as well as games you are potentially curious about or want to give wider attention to. You can briefly describe them or ask other people to help fill you in. The hope is that regular threads like these can act as a collective filter/discovery mechanism to help people decide what is worth checking out.

"New games" means any new title that is being released or ported this month in any capacity (not "backlogs/what you are playing this month"). The angle here is sharing your anticipation and promoting game discovery (as opposed to sharing comments about a first playthrough in progress - that belongs elsewhere).

• If you want a handy list that covers most of the major upcoming games of the month, here's a couple text lists of upcoming games:

Feel free to post other lists or list videos of upcoming releases that you find useful.

• Final request: If you are the first person to mention a game please provide (at minimum) a short sentence description. (If it is a very big AAA release though, then don't worry about it.) This is a good convention that makes the thread more useful as a discovery mechanism, and especially helps out anyone who doesn't follow the news as closely as you.

• I think the only one that I'm 100% going to play is the Iki Island Expansion for Ghost of Tsushima. Absolutely can't wait for this one! It's shaping up to be at least on par with the main game, and it seems meaty enough for me since it's basically the length of 1 act.

Youtube Video

The next few games also interest me, but I might just get them later since I'm focused on catching up on PS5 exclusives this month.

Hades (August 13) and The Falconeer (August 5) port for PlayStation (it's going to be available on every big platform)

Road 96, a procedural road-trip-esque narrative game set in a country with political turbulence. Coming August 16 for Switch and PC.
    Youtube Video

Recompile, a 3D metroidvania where you play as a visualized hacker in a digital world. Coming August 19 to PS5, Xbox and PC.
    Youtube Video

Hoa, a beautiful and chill-looking platformer for Switch and PC, coming August 24.
    Youtube Video

• I'm going to check out HADES when it comes to Gamepass. I've tried several Roguelikes before but none of them have kept me interested. With all the praise this has got maybe this will be the one to hook me.

PSYCONAUTS 2. Played quite a bit of the first one and though it was quirky and cool. The PS4 port wasn't great though, framerate was a mess. I'm excited to see a psyconauts in 2021 with all the modern technology available.

BALDO. This looks lovely, previews have been quite positive. Studio Ghibli meets Zelda it's the pitch. I wait for the reviews but I hope this one gets traction.

Youtube Video

• Humankind (August 17th) - This seems like a Civilization-like strategy game I could get really invested in. I've played a lot of Civilization, I even bought Civ 6 again this year on Switch to play with a friend.

Youtube Video

Also Psychonauts 2 on the 25th.

• No More Heroes 3. don't care about anything else in August.

• I'm really surprised no one wrote this:

Youtube Video

12 August. Since the announcement I can't wait for it. I hope it won't be one of those situations where final game is dissapointment for a really cool idea and visuals. I'm looking at you My Friend Pedro.

• Hades, 12 minutes and Psychonauts 2 are coming to Game Pass in August and I'm equally excited to play them. Have a feeling Psychonauts is going to be goty calibre.

• @phbz ooo didn't realise psychonauts 2 comes out august. I'll play that too

• @phbz Didn't realise 12 minutes was on Gamepass. Microsoft have been killing it with these day one indies lately.

• @paulmci27 I'm so spoiled that it took me a few days until I decided to buy Death's Door because I was annoyed that it didn't release on Game Pass.

• @phbz

How is it? I'm planning to begin it soon.

• @scotty It's really really good but the atmosphere/world didn't resonate with me as much as I would like. Which is a shame because level design and gameplay are near perfect. At €20 is mandatory and for anyone not sharing my nitpicks it will be a goty contender for sure.

• Yep, Psychonauts 2 and 12 Minutes for me - currently going through Psychonauts for the first time in preparation, really looking forward to both.

• @miserableperson I played maybe about half of Psychonauts 1 a long time ago and it was sublime, I hope you enjoy it. I'll probably check out Psychonauts 2 later in the year or next year.

• Nothing jumps out to me, Hoa and Baldo are on my radar but I'm not sold on either of them yet.

12 Minutes could turn out great but I just checked and turns out it's Xbox/PC only, so I'll have to wait for a future port either way.

I predict No More Heroes 3 will not be my jam at all, so barring an unexpected shadow drop this could be an empty month for me.

• Not forgetting that Dodgeball Academia arrives on Game Pass today. I like Dodgeball and not just the film with Vince Vaughn, Rip Torn, Christine Taylor and Ben Stiller in it. Could be worth checking out:

Youtube Video

• @jdincinerator

It was always my favourite game as a kid. Hid&Seek was close second.