Poorly Reviewed Games You Like

• What poorly review games did you end up enjoying? At the moment I'm playing Balan Wonderworld and although I see it has some issues concerning controls and progress I quite like its style. Yes it might be seen as a Super Mario: Odyssey and Rayman: Legends knockoff-but it's pretty good if you don't like collecting a bunch of a certain object to progress to the next level.

• Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

Honestly think the bank heist level is one of the great levels of the 360/PS3 generation. In a sea of third person cover shooter co-op games, K&L was a cut above the other dime-a-dozen games (i.e. 50 Cent, Army of Two).

Not a great game, starts to wear out it's welcome near the end. But it's Swimmin' in 7's.

--

Kane & Lynch 2

This game is so bad it's good. In a shocking move for a sequel, it takes absolutely nothing that worked in the original game and replaces it with an even more generic cover shooter.

BUT—this game is so cartoonishly violent, janky, bland, and pseudo-broken, that my roommate and I have had full blown rolling on the ground laugh attacks in this one. I mean you can quite literally sprint around Shanghai in a public food market and just spray your SMG without aiming at anyone or anything while your enemies do the same which just results in horrible screaming audio, horrible gun audio, insanely shaky camera, and mobs of people running everywhere while blood spatters all over the screen and everyone seems to just be yelling "FUCK" every 2 seconds. I also think you might be high on psychoactive medicine this whole time?

You have to see it to believe it. It's just so bad and gratuitous in it's bad design that it's hysterical.

• The Ascent- Ill go with a recent one. It reviewed well on PC but nor so much on console so I think it counts. I fucking rinsed this game in about 3 days practically 100% it. I'm a sucker for a Cyberpunk setting and The Ascent is the closest I've came to playing a game out of the pages of 2000ad ( a long running comic that Judge Dredd comes from) I got major Mega City 1 vibes. I loved the gameplay aswell, a fast paced twin stick shooter that's a decent challenge and a good variety of builds. Ran well for me on the series S with only a few bugs. The map and the pathfinding aren't great though but didn't bother me as much as some.

• @paulmci27 Was just about to say The Ascent too. I'm near the end and I'm really enjoying it.

• Nier: It's admittedly kinda weird seeing the general 180 on the series, but I'm not gonna complain about more Nier games

Wet: Scholky grindhouse fun.

• Mafia 3

Sure there is very little mission variety, but I actually find the core loop to be rather satisfying. Sometimes you just feel like an open-world checklist game, and this game fits the bill pretty well. Mechanically it isn't mind blowing, but it gets the job done and I think the guns have a nice impact to them. The narrative for the game is actually very good as well, and the presentation as a historical documentary is really fun. It's not an incredible game, and technically it certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but I think it gets more hate than it deserves.

• Banned

Code of Princess
    The closest we've ever gotten to a true Guardian Heroes successor. Playing it on the 3DS was an absolute pain because of the constant framerate drops, but shit still gave me flashbacks to those days booting up the Saturn and fucking shit up with my golden skeleton homie.

• Metroid Prime Federation Force

• @el-shmiablo There is a Switch version with 60fps and revamped combat, but no English dubbing. I got the physical copy of both versions. Reviews were between mixed and average, yet the game sold well on 3DS.

• Killer Is Dead
    • Onechanbara Z2: Chaos
    • Gun Grave
    • God Hand
    • Kill La Kill IF
    • Double Dragon IV
    • Street Fighter III
    • Street Fighter V - Note: Justifiable as Capcom tried to sale a $60 beta. I got the Champion Edition with all of the updates and most of the season passes.
    • Resident Evil 3 Remake

• Federation force
    Fragile dreams
    Kirby air ride

• @bigdude1 wait kirby air ride reviewed poorly?

i haven't played it myself but i thought it would have reviewed well? i constantly hear people say air ride is the best kirby game of all time?

• @yoshi it has a 61 on Metacritic.

I think most reviewers didn’t really get it after playing a hour or so.

• Banned

It's a 73 on Metacritic, but I love myself some Dante's Inferno. Nothing really more than a straight of God of War clone with a Christian mythology skin thrown on top, but the level design for some of the circles of hell were great, and the sound design was unmatched at the time. Seriously, sometimes I would just sit there and jam the projectile button to listen to the sound of the Holy Cross.

• @el-shmiablo I remember being so hyped for it pre-release because it was from freaking Visceral, but because of the middling reviews I never picked it up. Gotta hope for an unlikely remaster now.

• @axel your best bet is just buying a used copy. You have an Xbox One or series x? It will work fine on those. If you have à ps3, then you can get a used copy of that too. Otherwise you're just going to have to play on PC. A used or new copy won't run you high on Amazon.

• @el-shmiablo

Despite middling reviews, the game sold good. I was never interested in a game, because I already had Bayonetta on me and out of all the heaven and hell themed brawlers, it's still the best for me. Nothing against Dante's Inferno nor Darksiders, but I couldn't get invested in them. More so the latter.

• Banned

@brawlman There is no PC version.
    However, if you don't mind wearing an eye patch, it runs pretty well on RPCS3.

• @el-shmiablo

You are right. I completely forgot about that. I must have got it mixed up with Lords of Shadow.

• Speaking of Lords of Shadow, I effin' love Lords of Shadow. DIdn't hate the sequel either, although I seem to be in the minority on that one.

• Banned

@brawlman Ye Lords of Shadow is on PC. Also another poorly reviewed game I enjoyed. Felt more like earlier Castlevanias than newer Metroidvanias.
    Never played the sequel because I heard it was garbage even compared to the first.

• @el-shmiablo

It's another case of critical dissonance. The first game at least sold fine. The second game didn't sell as well, but you still got many defenders of the game. A lot of people just hate the forced and unnecessary stealth.