Gauging Interest: The Forum Hall of Greats

• Coming out of the gate, it's best to be true to the HoG voting system - only votes from presenters. But it may be necessary to allow outside votes if there aren't enough presenters and/or some presenters don't submit votes. I have a good feeling about this being successful, so I highly doubt that will occur. But keep it on the back-back burner.

• Alright folks, here are some rules I've drafted. Please give feedback on what you think is good and what should be changed before we start.

Big Rules

1. Participants will have 1 Week to tell me what game they are planning to bring. After the week, I will open the topic up for people to submit their posts. This period will last for three days, but if all the presentations are submitted before the end of the three days I will open it up for cross-examination sooner. The cross-examination period will take another week. At the end of cross examination I will have everybody tell me their votes through DM and I will reveal the winners.
    2. Presentations can be either a 5 minute video or a text post of up to 1000 words. Text posts are allowed to have three pictures if desired, and a video reference is fine so long as it is simply there to reinforce the text and is not content in and of itself.
    3. In Cross-Examination, each person is allowed to ask up to two questions per game, and only the person who brought the game in question is allowed to respond to the questions. Anybody can cross-examine a game, even if they did not bring a game themselves. This is done to boost activity on the thread and get those who did not participate potentially interested in doing so next time.
    4. For Voting, much like the EZA HoG participants will be able to vote for their first, second and third favorite games presented, with the first place vote getting three points, second place getting two points, and third place getting one. Only those who brought a game will be able to vote.

Other Rules

1. This very clearly is based on the Easy Allies Hall of Greats and thus many of the rules are the same. This goes for what kind of things can be submitted. Don't want to see another D&D fiasco.
    2. If a game gets no votes it is banned for a year. I will keep a list of every banned game and when it is next eligible.
    3. Realistically it is difficult to enforce the presentation rules, so I ask that you please just keep them in mind and try not to intentionally break them.

Can't think of if I missed anything, but if I did let me know This is just a draft of rules, so please tell me what you think works and what doesn't.

• @capnbobamous said in Gauging Interest: The Forum Hall of Greats:

1. Participants will have 1 Week to tell me what game they are planning to bring. After the week, I will open the topic up for people to submit their posts. This period will last for three days, but if all the presentations are submitted before the end of the three days I will open it up for cross-examination sooner.
    2. Presentations can be either a 5 minute video or a text post of up to 1000 words. Text posts are allowed to have three pictures if desired, and a video reference is fine so long as it is simply there to reinforce the text and is not content in and of itself.

The GOTY threads have shown that people on this forum are laggards. I don't think 3 days is enough time to get submissions in.

"A video reference" that "is not content" is vague. And how long can this "video reference" be? Can I link to a 10 hour playthrough or a full soundtrack?

• @oscillator said in Gauging Interest: The Forum Hall of Greats:

The GOTY threads have shown that people on this forum are laggards. I don't think 3 days is enough time to get submissions in.

Not even with the added week beforehand to let me know what you're bringing? My thought process was that there was basically a whole week devoted to making sure everyone knows what it is they want to say, with the three days just being the time in which they post it.

"A video reference" that "is not content" is vague. And how long can this "video reference" be? Can I link to a 10 hour playthrough or a full soundtrack?

Yeah I get this is vague, I struggled with how to word it. Basically if it's not a review, or you or someone else talking into the camera. Maybe I could clarify that a video reference is either music or direct gameplay without any sort of commentary? And I don't think length is an issue because if you want to post an ost, nobody is going to listen to the whole thing. Same with a full playthrough. Posting a ten hour playthrough along with your text submission only serves to lessen your presentation in my eyes.

• @capnbobamous I like these rules.

• ^ I fully expect some people to spend a whole week deciding what they want to bring, then not start writing their submissions until a day before the final deadline. IMO, five days to pick a game will put a little bit of pressure on people to get step 1 done, then another five days to submit their presentations should be enough to prevent rushing. Same 10 days for the whole process, just reallocated.

Also, putting a limit on the length of "video references" should improve the quality of presentations a bit. My suggestion was two videos, 10 minutes total, but if you only want there to be one video and/or more length, so be it. My theory is that these non-presentation videos only being able to add a bit of flavour, like images, will make the text more important.

And the way the final rules are written need to be concise, obvious, and clean. Something like one and a half sentences per line, max 4 lines? With italics/bolding only for limits/deadlines?

• @oscillator fair enough, I can make it a week. My only worry with that is that this then becomes an event that lasts almost a month, but maybe that's not as big a problem as I think.

I wouldn't want there to be 10 minutes allowed for background videos. Seems odd to allow 10 minutes for that with only 5 minutes for actual video presentations. If we have to put a limit, I would say two videos at five minutes total. Although ultimately I disagree that this needs to be regulated, I'm willing to relent if you all feel it necessary.

And sure, I guess I can clean up the rules. It was just something I wrote in a 10 minute break, not necessarily indicative of how the rules will visually look in the actual thread.

• @capnbobamous said in Gauging Interest: The Forum Hall of Greats:

I wouldn't want there to be 10 minutes allowed for background videos. Seems odd to allow 10 minutes for that with only 5 minutes for actual video presentations. If we have to put a limit, I would say two videos at five minutes total. Although ultimately I disagree that this needs to be regulated, I'm willing to relent if you all feel it necessary.

My choice of 2 videos/10 minutes for non-presentation videos has to do with what I'm expecting them to be used for. Music, gameplay examples, trailers. Unless you cut these down yourself (which would technically make them presentation videos anyway), it puts a pretty heavy restriction on what you can show. At 5 minutes, a single piece of music can wipe out your allotment. And lots of famous trailers run over 5 minutes. Even 10 minutes is a bit of a squeeze (forget about linking to the full version of Dancing Mad :P), though anything longer would admittedly start to bloat submissions/reduce text importance.

• This post is deleted!

• Very well, I get your point, I'll add it to the rules.

And with little other contribution as far as rules go I'll assume they're all good, and make the EZA forum Hall of Greats thread today. You will have until the 6th of September to tell me what game you want to bring. More to be explained on the actual thread, which I will get up within a few hours, however the rules will be as we discussed. Let's get this thing started! Hopefully I get some submissions.

Edit: quick question actually, is it a conflict of interest if I bring a game? I'm gonna be the one tallying the votes so I can see how that could be an issue. Though I can assure you I won't do any funny business, I know you just have to take me at my word on that, though I do plan on saying who voted for what so maybe that alleviates any potential fears?

• ^ Damiani tallies the votes yet still presents, so it's above board.

• @capnbobamous I'll send my submission along once you officially create the thread and as far as bringing the game, more power to you. I don't have a problem with you also taking part alongside the curation.

• @capnbobamous I see no difference between this and GotY voting, where organizer's vote can also change winner when 2nd place is close. So you are more than welcome to bring a game.