General Pokemon Thread

• @el-shmiablo

As someone who works in media production, the plug-n-play of hiring "experienced" employees is never that simple. I find almost always it's the Senior artists that cause the most problems despite having the most experience. We are doing a project right now that is meant to be simple and in the act of using simple software, it's causing all sorts of issues for those who have a ton of experience with more advanced software.

All this to say is that it's never easy to do anything (simple, ambitious, or even unambitious) within the context of tight deadlines or limited budgets.

ALL THAT SAID—I absolutely think GameFreak needs to press the pause button for a hot moment and catch up to the times. I know business never stops but it's not like people need mainline Pokemon releases as quickly as we get them. An internal testing phase would do them wonders on the good-will side of things and if they really made a Pokemon game on the level of their JRPG peers, I'd consider diving back in. At the very least, they need to suffer through these extremely late HD-era growing pains. Cause they are going to look horrifically dated in 2-3 years when the Switch is replaced with something new.

• @el-shmiablo said in General Pokemon Thread:

If a company does something wrong or releases a poor product, are we not allowed to criticize that?
    Halo Infinite looked like trash. People pointed it out. 343 fixed it. Is it honestly too much to hope that Nintendo/GameFreak might do the same with their games, or are we just relegated to believing that this series will never surpass this mediocrity?

Arguing that "the majority of consumers are used to getting fleeced" is really dumb and the reason these companies continue to push out low effort, low quality schlock like this. They know they have a rabid fanbase that will blindly defend any and all criticism, even if it is completely valid.

I think it might be the repetition that people have the most issue with. I don't personally play Pokemon and therefore I don't usually enter the specific threads. That said, even I am well aware of your specific critisism against the franchise as a whole; I've just seen it that many times.

I'm not even going to argue if you're right or wrong here, just that this forum is pretty small and its reach is pretty much non-existent. I don't see much point in regurgitating the same criticism to the exact same people over and over again.

@oscillator So then like I said, why not train your employees to be better? There are mountains of resources available for free online on how to utilize these things.
    Failing that, why not hire employees who are familiar with the hardware, or open world games? This isn't a small studio we're talking about.
    Outsourcing?
    Reaching out to other developers?

The same company with the same people heading it has handled this franchise for its entire lifespan. They have hired a lot of new employees and work with a lot of other companies, but they just do what they're told by the bosses, and the bosses don't have what it takes to turn on a dime.

It IS possible for this to be changed from the outside - Game Freak is not the majority shareholder of Pokemon. Creatures Inc. and Nintendo could together dictate changes if they wanted to. But I think all the relevant parties want to play it safe.

Creatures Inc. just makes small spinoffs and builds Pokemon models, and Nintendo and its second-party developers have a full dance card with other franchises. What's more, Nintendo is a very conservative company - they rarely acquire new studios, and their internal teams tend to run flat - don't hire, don't fire. And handing a key franchise over to a studio that's never touched Pokemon before? Corporate bean-counters/shareholders would be damn frightened by that.

• Banned

@sheria It's funny because I can say the exact same thing from my side. I see the same arguments and excuses to the point where I can anticipate what will be said.

I just find it funny that the "opposition" fly into an automatic rage and start building a strawman against me whenever I post criticisms of INSERTWHATTHEYLIKEHERE, instead of thinking that perhaps I might just be a disenfranchised fan who is sad to see a series they once greatly enjoyed circle the drain.

Despite what some people choose to think, I'm not beholden to one platform or another. I enjoy good games regardless of what I can play then on, but when I see this kind of shit I'm going to speak on it, regardless if some kids flip out over the words I choose to use.

@sheria It's funny because I can say the exact same thing from my side. I see the same arguments and excuses to the point where I can anticipate what will be said.

That argument won't exist though unless someone starts it. I just would have thought by now you would have accepted that Pokemon will always carry this "problem", it's never been some big budget stunner. I just don't see the point in pointing it out everytime the opportunity arises.

• Banned

@sheria The argument exists because the argument exists. Whether I bring it up or not is inconsequential. The people who pretend I'm trolling and seem to have a personal vendetta against me can easily take their own advice and ignore it.

I don't think I've ever said I expect a big budget stunner. I do, however, think the games should at least look like they belong in the same generation they are released in, and not two or three behind.

@sheria The argument exists because the argument exists. Whether I bring it up or not is inconsequential. The people who pretend I'm trolling and seem to have a personal vendetta against me can easily take their own advice and ignore it.

I don't think I've ever said I expect a big budget stunner. I do, however, think the games should at least look like they belong in the same generation they are released in, and not two or three behind.

Initially that was indeed fair criticism but I'm sorry, to continuously bring up a played out argument where, as you so rightfully pointed out, you know exactly what the others will say, that moves it away from fair criticism to just baiting for the sake of it. Considering there's nowhere else for the debate to actually go, I'm not overly surprised people are starting to question your motives. That's my final take on it anyway.

• @sheria personnally what i find more funny is that everyone here kept having a go at me when i would argue with him.

now they're all doing the exact same thing they all got sh***y at me for doing. hypocrisy at it's finest

• Banned

@yoshi I mean, other than some outbursts and accusations from Mbun I don't see anybody being overly aggressive or disingenuous with their stance.

As for why people might not be getting the same amount of flack as you have before, I think it might be because, generally your posts come off as that of a petulant child. You are highly argumentative, have almost zero empathy for others, see things as black and white, refuse to see logic when it is clearly laid out in front of you, and are generally just super annoying.

I'm sure some people here could say the same about me, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there are a lot more members of this forum that think it about you.

That you haven't been able to learn to participate in the forums in a normal manner is honestly highly concerning and, where I once took great joy from rustling your jimmies, I now just feel really bad for you. Not too bad though, considering you have pulled some straight up sociopathic shit and stalked me and my family on social media.

So yeah. That might be why.

Not too bad though, considering you have pulled some straight up sociopathic shit and stalked me and my family on social media.

1. not really stalking if i directly tell you that i found your FB page and it's hardly my fault if you decide to leave your facebook profile status open for the entire public to see instead of setting it to private.

2. you can keep crying in numerous threads about an event that happened literally years ago on Gametrailers.com before Easyallies even came into existence if you like but i'm just going to continue ignoring you now.

• Banned

@yoshi 1. You then leaving comments on my social media, peppered in your posts and IMs to me about my family is stalking. I teach kids for a living, so I don't really have time to teach one still stuck in an extended adolescence that choosing to be a creep and stalk somebody on their social media accounts is something they choose to do.

1. You don't get to walk back on being a fucking creep, dude. I know personally responsibility and accountability for your actions are foreign concepts for you, but goddamn. Nobody had a gun to your head saying "Make comments about his wife and troll his comments".

Please, for the love of fuck, grow up

• Banned

Since this thread is supposed to be about Pokemon, Vince Staples just dropped a banger for Pokemon's 25th.

Youtube Video

• @el-shmiablo

Brings me back to the good ol 90s when movie soundtracks went Platinum with songs and artists that have quite literally nothing to do with the movie in any way whatsoever, but I couldn't care less.

Youtube Video

I also remember Puffy did a "Kashmir" remix ft Jimmy Page and the video was just Puffy running around NYC in his leather suit comped into Godzilla scenes. There was also a Green Day "Brain Stew" remix with Godzilla shrieks thrown in for good measure.

We need more of this in 2021 lol

• Banned

@dipset I mean bro my classroom playlist is literally just rap songs I grabbed off of albums from recent kids movies.

Spiderverse soundtrack is a godsend.

• @el-shmiablo

I think the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack did big numbers too. I guess it feels different for me nowadays cause of streaming. I remember literally everyone back in the day had the Godzilla, Pokemon, Armageddon, The Bodyguard, Batman Forever soundtracks all in a CD sleeve tucked away in the glove box of their car.

The cheese factor is what I loved most about that era. A big budget video with random clips from the movie that have absolutely nothing to do with the song itself. Purely unignorable big business money moves, but I ate that shit up.

• Banned

@dipset In all honesty if Vince Staples told me he was a Pokemon fan and Lil Yachty told me he was a Sonic fan I wouldn't not believe them.

• @dipset
    Had all of those, plus Blues Brothers.

• @mbun XD