Favorite 3rd game of a series

• Usually games that are part of a series are great from the start, or they are improved on by the sequel. But sometimes it's the 3rd game where a series really hits its peak, by fixing past mistakes and improving on the formula that made the previous games so good.

What are your favorite 3rd games of a series? Games you like more than the first two games.

Some of my favorites:

• Super Mario Bros. 3
    • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • Grand Theft Auto III
    • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    • Halo 3
    • Saints Row: The Third
    • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    • Metro Exodus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3

• Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, and Max Payne 3.

• Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    • Devil May Cry 3
    • No More Heroes 3
    • Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
    • Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Crash Bandicoot 3

• Super Metroid

• Mass Effect 3. Was my favorite game in the trilogy back then, and Legendary Edition showed me that quality gap between 3 and other two is even bigger than I've remembered.

• Pikmin 3. It was a return to form as a beautiful adventure after the cramped, arcadey Pikmin 2. The puzzles were even better than 1's, with electricity and physics getting involved. The bosses were sometimes more impressive than Zelda bosses. And the graphics, with the depth-of-field, glistening dew, refracting crystal, legit spooky cave lighting, and photorealistic fruit were IMO the best on the Wii U until Breath of the Wild. I rate 1 higher because it has more charm and the soundtrack is more memorable, but 3 is still an elite-level Nintendo game.

• Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Super Metroid
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Spyro: Year of the Dragon
    Ratchet & Clank 3
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Persona 3
    Resistance 3
    Rainbow Six 3
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Halo 3
    Sonic 3
    Devil May Cry 3
    Dragon Quest III

All of these are my favorite in their series. Maybe I'm still forgetting some.

• The easiest question ever.

alt text

• @ffff0 I still take 1 over the rest but I never got the hate 3 gets. Still a pretty stellar game.

• @phbz What pushes 3 above the rest for me is the fact that companions talk to you and to each other during missions. In 1 and 2 they are just mobile turrets outside of the Normandy, so you don't really care whom to take with you.

• This post is deleted!

• Fallout 3
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (the videogame)
    GTA: San Andreas/GTA 3 (based both on the GTA 3 canon and the fact GTA 3 is the third game in that franchise)
    Far Cry 3
    Resistance 3
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Red Dead Redemption 2 (Supposing whether Red Dead Revolver counts)
    Infamous: Second Son......no not really Infamous 2 was miles better.

• Halo CE is amazing, but Halo 3 is just a master class in perfecting a working game formula. They never re-wrote the book in any game from 1-3, but they just hit such a perfect balance of gameplay tweaks, weapon variety, epic conclusion, and map design (with some remakes in there too). It's still pretty balanced by today's standards and I'd argue MP is borderline perfect.

• @dipset Halo 3 was the series peak tbh. it was all downhill from there.

• Halo Reach was still amazing imo.
    Series didn't hit the skids until 343 took the reigns.

• @el-shmiablo

Reach kinda re-wrote the book though. Made such sweeping changes that it felt completely different than 1-3. So you either like those changes or you don't. I don't mind the Campaign but I don't like the changes to the multiplayer. Reach at least didn't try to reiterate on an already concluded saga. If they kept trying to improve on what H3 did, I don't think Reach would've been as good as it is. It made the right choice by being different.

• Max Payne 3