Favorite TV Shows and Movies Based on Video Games

• Youtube Video

Hello Allies,

The recent voice cast reveal for the Mario film was hilarious but it also got me thinking about video games in movies and TV shows. Movies based on video games are usually pretty bad but some recent efforts have offered some hope. And recent Netflix shows like Castlevania and Witcher(based on the books) have been well-received. So I wanted to ask if there are any video game based TV shows and movies you all like? And are there any that you are looking forward to watching?

What are your Favorite TV Shows and Movies Based on Video games?

• Obligatory product of its time that's still fun in a dumb way:
    Youtube Video

Avoid the Super Mario World show like the plague though. It is Donkey Kong cartoon level weird without the charm.

• Here are my favorites:

Movie: Mortal Kombat (1995)
    It's silly in all the right ways. They took all the absurd elements from the game and made it work. Also the theme song is 10 out of 10.

TV Show: Castlevania (2017-2021)
    I found all 4 seasons to be entertaining with very few dull moments. The fight scenes are awesome, and the characters are great, especially Trevor Belmont and Sypha.

• Pokémon's easily the best TV show, and aside from the lack of blood, the original Mortal Kombat movie sticks the closest to the source material.

• @oscillator said:

Pokémon's easily the best TV show, and aside from the lack of blood

I had no idea where the rest of that sentence was going. Pokemon has had some dips, but the last couple series have been fantastic, even while the games they're loosely based on aren't so much.

• Prince of Persia was a good movie. Really wanted for them to make it a trilogy but it didn't happen unfortunately.

I'm cautiosly optimistic about both Uncharted and TLoU.

• Castlevania on Netflix, which is also the only Netflix series to get a home video release on Bluray I think. Awesome take on the franchise and I can't wait to see what they do with Rondo and Symphony.

Mortal Kombat from the 90s, it's dum, it's cheesy, but God damn if it isn't fun.

• Now I remembered both Tomb Raiders. Angelina Jolie was so good for the role.

• I honestly don't think I like any video game movie except for Resident Evil from 2001 or whenever it released.

Paul W.S. Anderson is a solid contender for W.O.A.T (along with Uwe Boll and Jonathan Liebesman) but I won't deny Milla Jovovich's charisma and just cheesy hot badass factor. The art direction had the chrome / blue Y2K aesthetic that I miss a lot. It basically had nothing worthwhile from the game series in there, but it was an amusing movie. I also didn't hate that RE 3D movie from 2012, but I wouldn't call it good by any means.

I can't think of too many that I've even seen though. I never saw the original Mortal Kombat which I also think was Paul W.S. Anderson so I assume it's horrible, but I've heard some people say it's amusing.

--

If we count Pokemon then I'd say Season 1 of the anime and Pokemon The First Movie would get my nod. I've always preferred the Pokemon anime to the video games when I was younger because those shows had really good adventure plots before they devolved into typical anime bullshit with like 6 episode of Pokemon battles.

Special shout of to Pikachu's Vacation short film on the VHS from the first movie which is kinda high key better than the feature film itself and more in the tone of the anime episodes.

Youtube Video

• @dipset said in Favorite TV Shows and Movies Based on Video Games:

I've always preferred the Pokemon anime to the video games when I was younger

I still do. Pokemon is just that one season from my childhood with 1st generation. Anything after that or before that isn't important at all.