Big-Name Franchises You Don't Care About/Can't Get Into

• @yoshi I never got into god of war but I’m always amused how when god of war got rebooted into a different thing people were all on board in saying the old ones weren’t that good

• @bigdude1 the old God of War games definitely look a lot more interesting than the new ones.

they turned him from God of War into Dad of War. his beard looks stupid and the kid is annoying

• Banned

@bigdude1 I don't think they were bad, but 2018 does evolve Kratos as a character quite a bit.
    Like when I was younger I thought Kratos was a total badass, killing innocent people just because they get in his way and having sex with concubines in minigames.
    Now he's achieved his revenge, realized how hollow it was, and is attempting to keep his son from becoming the monster he used to be. Much more appealing to adult/father me.

• @el-shmiablo im talking more of how the core gameplay changed in general

@yoshi I think they were just following the template that worked for last of us

• @bigdude1 said in Big-Name Franchises You Don't Care About/Can't Get Into:

@yoshi I never got into god of war but I’m always amused how when god of war got rebooted into a different thing people were all on board in saying the old ones weren’t that good

I never understood that take considering how well the original games sold and how people consider God of War II one of the greatest games ever made and the last hurrah for the PS2, etc. I'm sympathetic to people getting tired of the mainline revenge story (GOW1: Revenge on Aries, GOW2: Revenge on Zeus, GOW3: Revenge on Zeus and all God's). However, it was effective in what it was... a brutal revenge story. I don't know why people expected more or less.

GoW Ascension did absolutely nothing to enrich the greater lore surrounding Kratos and I think that is where I said to myself, "okay, I don't know if I need more of this," but with that said, it was still a very fantastic game.

I'll gladly accept the GoW Reboot with a deeper focus on family and themes of containing your emotions and so on. But I never necessarily agreed with the sentiment that GoW was in dire straits.

• @el-shmiablo

• Street Fighter
    • Samurai Showdown
    • Guilty Gear Strive
    • KOF

Even then, a lot of these I play casually. I lost interests in Tekken and Soul Calibur years ago. Tekken 7 just sits there. I do have FighterZ, but I don't pop it in much like I used to do.

• @yoshi that’s what I felt too. But I’m more of a Dmc guy than dark souls

• @dipset I don’t understand it either but that was definitely the vibe I got from the general fan base.

I guess Zelda was like that too but I definitely like the classics.

• Metal Gear- I can't stand anything about Kojima or his games.

• Banned

@brawlman I love myself some Street Fighter.
    I wish I could get into KoF. I love the characters, setting, and overall tone of the series, but then I try to play it and my brain turns to mush.

• @el-shmiablo

It ain't easy, but it can be done. KOFXV is making certain mechanics and supers easier to pull off, but you still got to get a handle on it.

• Banned

@brawlman Oh yeah that's awesome.
    I think I just spread myself too thin with fighting games. Play a little bit of everything, but am trash at all of em, which sucks because I love them soooo much.