Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2007

• I say, all games from Orange box should be considered individually because:

1. Some of them weren't new.
    2. They are now available individually.
    3. It's not that different from "extra-game as a pre-order bonus" - you buy one package, but get two different games.

• I hear what you guys are saying about The Orange Box, but in the context of when it released, it was both a compilation AND a new game product. It was mostly reviewed as ONE game i.e. HL2 EP2, Portal, and TF2 gets one unified review score. It was sold as one unified product and, again, when you played it, your system would say you are playing The Orange Box, not any one specific game.

I think it's important to consider the way it was sold at the time because TOB pre-dates the Humble Bundles or your average series collection or anything that you commonly find today. If you wanted to play HL2 EP 2, you needed to buy The Orange Box. I feel like a game such as Portal would've been evaluated differently if it was reviewed independently from The Orange Box (considering it's 2 hours).

As far as I recall, many GOTY awards including the D.I.C.E Awards or Spike VGA's, The Orange Box was nominated, NOT each individual game. It was more than just a collection but a single gaming product. We should really look at it in the same way it was presented at the time.

I'll let this go if we can confirm HL2 EP2, Portal, and TF2 were individually available in 2007, but I could've sworn that this wasn't the case (hence why TOB was reviewed as one single product).

• @dipset Add to that that on consoles it was not possible to buy the games seperate.

• @dipset controversial opinion but I back it.

• @brannox I believe just blood.
    ](0_1634666527445_00ca138a-8105-42c7-a82d-7c293a792b0c-image.png

• @dipset It's a good argument, but here's my counter-argument. During our previous votes we consistently considered not games as they were that year, but games as they are today. For 2008 we've voted for Persona 4 while keeping Persona 4: Golden in mind. In 2011 we've voted for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and kept all its patches, versions and DLCs in mind. In 2007 we have Mass Effect and I'm sure many of us will consider Legendary Edition while casting their votes. So while Portal wasn't sold separately in 2007 it's totally is now. Therefore I think it's fair to count it as a separate game.

Another argument is that counting multiple very different games as one is a bit unfair, because it will get more votes than it should. For example, people who loves shooters will vote for Orange Box (Half-Life) and BioShock. Imagine that BioShock gets more votes. Then Orange Box also get votes from those who loves puzzles (Portal) and comes on top of BioShock. This seems wrong: we collectively think that BioShock is a better shooter, but Orange Box is higher because it has another game tacked on.

• Either way, The Orange Box was always going to divide opinions.

• @ffff0

Yeah, again, I don't really disagree with you. I mean, I don't disagree with you. But I just feel like in the same vein that shooter and puzzle fans might vote for The Orange Box, I feel like it's splitting the vote by separating them. I feel like the three new releases in The Orange Box are all GOTY caliber games and it'll force concessions and hard cuts which might affect the final vote if we split the games up.

For example, Portal, a very short game, might get less votes if it has to stand on it's own whereas it might get more votes if it's included in The Orange Box (neither outcome is guaranteed, obviously). Or TF2 was an incredible multiplayer experience in the overall package, but on it's own, it might not get the same love. Especially considering how much it was modified in the F2P era years after The Orange Box released.

I know we are debating whether historical context should matter in our vote, but for the sake of my point, I definitely feel like Portal in 2007 was absolutely a nice little bonus in the overall $60, but it's groundbreaking game design has sort of led us to retroactively evaluate it as it's own entity. Yet, I definitely think Valve included it in The Orange Box for a reason; it couldn't be sold on it's own at retail. The same thing can be said for TF2. It's one entity of the whole package that absolutely would not have survived on it's own in retail in 2007.

Again, I'm making arguments here because I would like to vote The Orange Box as one game. I'm just making as many points as I possibly can make, but in the end, I'll defer to Shoulderguy. Would you be open to a staw poll @Shoulderguy ?

• @neocweeny If that's true, then yes Rondo of Blood is eligible.

• @dipset I always considered The Orange Box to be five different games in one collection and I said it was not eligible in the rules section already.

I would be open to changing it but I have already received some votes, so it feels wrong to change it now.

• @shoulderguy I respect you for already ending the discussion before it began XD

Even if I don't fully agree.

• @ffff0 I don't think it's unfair. They should get probs for creating such an amazing package. BioShock and The Orange Box were the same price on release after all.

• @shoulderguy

Fair enough. Thanks for at least hearing me out.

It kinda throws a wrench in the way I've arranged my favourites from 2007 all these years later. Maybe that'll be a good exercise to try and trim down and rearrange the list in my mind. At the very least, it'll make me think hard.

I'll still post my "Unofficial 2007 Mindset GOTY List" at the end of the reveals.

• @neocweeny Yeah, I should have seen The Orange Box debate coming. My bad everyone.

• @bigdude1 I'm a little confused by your response, could you please clarify?

• I'm guessing ninja gaiden sigma doesn't count?

But damn a hella nostalgic year.

am i really gonna put guitar hero above mass effect

and don't forget the best need for speed game prostreet.

weird year for me since i only got a ps3 late and was mostly a ps2 player at the time but have revisited some of the bigger games.

• @brannox blood was the only current eza member besides brandon that was there in 2007 but I accidentally tagged you instead of @demonpirate

• @bigdude1

I could've sworn I remembered listening to Damiani on Invisible Walls around then?

• @dipset If I remember correctly, Damiani joined GT before Bloodworth.

• admin

I joined in 2007 along with Patrick Morales. Damiani and Brooks Huber were 2008.