Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2007

• @shoulderguy

Fair enough. Thanks for at least hearing me out.

It kinda throws a wrench in the way I've arranged my favourites from 2007 all these years later. Maybe that'll be a good exercise to try and trim down and rearrange the list in my mind. At the very least, it'll make me think hard.

I'll still post my "Unofficial 2007 Mindset GOTY List" at the end of the reveals.

• @neocweeny Yeah, I should have seen The Orange Box debate coming. My bad everyone.

• @bigdude1 I'm a little confused by your response, could you please clarify?

• I'm guessing ninja gaiden sigma doesn't count?

But damn a hella nostalgic year.

am i really gonna put guitar hero above mass effect

and don't forget the best need for speed game prostreet.

weird year for me since i only got a ps3 late and was mostly a ps2 player at the time but have revisited some of the bigger games.

• @brannox blood was the only current eza member besides brandon that was there in 2007 but I accidentally tagged you instead of @demonpirate

• @bigdude1

I could've sworn I remembered listening to Damiani on Invisible Walls around then?

• @dipset If I remember correctly, Damiani joined GT before Bloodworth.

• admin

I joined in 2007 along with Patrick Morales. Damiani and Brooks Huber were 2008.

• @bloodworth

Hey Blood, out of curiosity, but was the GT staff debating "The Orange Box" as one single game in your GOTY awards back then or were they evaluated as three separate games. It doesn't seem like TF2, HL2EP2, nor Portal got GOTY nominations back then. But behind the scenes, was somebody gunning for, say, Portal for GOTY?

--

For the rest of us -
    Just asking cause I'm curious but I've fully conceded losing TOB debate.

• I'll wait a little bit before sending my list.

Maybe I'm finally gonna give Mass Effect or The Witcher a try.

• @neocweeny said in Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2007:

Maybe I'm finally gonna give Mass Effect or The Witcher a try.

perfect time for ME with the remaster

i've tried to play the first witcher multiple times and it is rough

• @neocweeny

In my opinion, both are groundbreaking in their own right.

I played The Witcher 1 in 2011 or 2012 (shortly after The Witcher 2 released), and I was completely blown away. I remember ravenously consuming any video GT would upload back then and seeing The Witcher footage from an E3 or something and thinking that it looked extremely interesting, but not quite like anything else in the next-gen. Skipped it. Didn't have a PC, didn't bat an eye.

But when I played it, boy did I love it! I think it's one of my all time favourite gaming plots.

• admin

@dipset I want to say that we judged those games separately, but the only thing I really remember is that Super Mario Galaxy got a unanimous vote. One of the shortest GOTY debates ever.

• @bloodworth Don't forget to send me your GOTY list Blood. :)

Also Update. I've received 10 lists so far, but we still have over two weeks (November 8th) until voting is closed. I'll post an update and send a reminder when we get close to that date.

• @dipset Personally, I've (quietly) been on the side of counting Orange Box as separate games but, man, we all need to take a minute to appreciate that thing. I don't even really like Half Life 2 but Portal and TF2 alone make it probably my favourite compilation I've owned.

• @bigdude1 Oh, okay, thank you for the clarification!

• So it turns out that I missed a lot of games when I looked at the eligible list the first time, and now I got 7 games locked in already, which pretty much knocks out most of the PSP games I thought could get in. Just need to play one more game though, hopefully I can finish it this weekend.

• @e_zed_eh_intern

What is so god-tier about The Orange Box is that I had never played any of those games and came out pseudo-addicted to TF2 (even on buggy PS3 version), Portal blew my damn mind, and Half Life 2 was like a revelation to me. Especially City 17 and the vibe of just walking around the environment in first person. It led me to check out games like Riddick and a few more older PC games in the future.

Definitely a game changer for my tastes and I think if it really proved that console gaming was the commercial future.

• @dipset and pour one out for “hold start to quick save”.

• I can't handle how fucking good 2007 was (and still is).

Like, we have so many ground breaking and revolutionary games in one year (Assassin's Creed, Skate, Rock Band, Portal) that even extremely fun ones like Stranglehold or Crackdown which I absolutely LOVED seem almost impossible to fit in.

I just gotta commit and make cuts... ugh.

EDIT:

Just throwing it out there but I put in about 13 hours in COD4 Remastered in 2021 and I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't hold up. Too much unbalanced bullshit. The single player is still a classic campaign though, but don't let COD4 MP nostalgia fool you.