Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy Remastered

• @dipset said in Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy Remastered:

@scotty

It’d be nice but Mafia was a full blown remake. And we know R* wouldn’t half ass a remake. Then where do you draw the line? Remake GTA 3 or do them all? Then would a faithful remake be enough or would a re-imagining be better? Then would an reimagining undermine the integrity of the original?

Many what ifs

I’d love that but I can live without it too.

1-I draw the line on seeing enough work put into it instead of a lazy attempt.
    2-Remake them all with 1-2 year apart, you have the manpower and resources.
    3-Faitful remakes with more context/expansion on missions&story probably with the GTA V's modern controls.
    4-Some people would likely think that, it's inevitable but it would be %100 improvement over this.

I can also live with this cash grab but it's obvious that Rockstar stain its name and tries to getaway with many other studios would be attacked for just because of the brand recognition.

• @scotty Dude, it takes ages for them to get a game out, not to mention under bad working conditions.

Also a lot of key people who made the PS2 games aren't even working at Rockstar anymore. I don't know if it's a good idea for this current Rockstar studio to make expansions to the story.

• Yeah pretty hype for this but since I'm most looking forward to San Andreas, I'll likely play that on gamepass since I'm gonna do that for Forza anyway, and then assess whether I want to buy the collection after or wait for a sale etc.

• @neocweeny

Just leave them as it is and focus one remake project at a time. They don't have to come out fast. In the end, possibilites are endless but they just chose the most simple one, it's a dissapointment.

• @scotty

At Rockstar's current pace and desire to make extremely technical and detailed games, remaking all three games would take 21 years. And that is with multiple studios of hundreds of people around the world. I just don't see that even being a viable option let alone the correct thing to do.

I don't see that many people clamoring for a GTA III remake tbh. Again, I'd happily accept it, but I'd absolutely prefer new games like a new GTA or a new Bully.

• @dipset
    I wouldn't mind a Midnight Club collection, or Bully. Would absolutely love to see a Max Payne collection though.

• @dmcmaster

I would gladly accept Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition on modern systems but I know it'll never happen but my goodness I'd love a new Midnight Club. Massive void in the street racing market (if there even is a market for that anymore).

• @dipset
    Not sure about street racing, but if it means more arcade racers I'm down.

Also allegedly Nintendo is handling the publishing for the Switch version.

• Game's gameplay videos are out and guess what? They didn't even touch gameplay. ''Shooting like GTA V'', yeah right... What a shitty project from greedy stupid Rockstar.

• 4K 60fps is really nice. The price is still steep but the Remaster seems fine enough to me. Again, I can't get these games to run on my PC so I think this is the best bet for a revisit since I don't have them on PS2 anymore.

Youtube Video

The movement is still on that PS2 4-axis, if you will. I wasn't expecting a complete control and movement overhaul, but I was wondering in the back of my head of the movement would get modernized into a bigger axis of animation. It seems like Tommy moves smoother based on controller input but his direction is still very rigid.

Either way, this remaster seems like a textbook 'It's Fine' /10. I'll get it on sale.

• @dipset said in Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy Remastered:

The movement is still on that PS2 4-axis, if you will. I wasn't expecting a complete control and movement overhaul, but I was wondering in the back of my head of the movement would get modernized into a bigger axis of animation. It seems like Tommy moves smoother based on controller input but his direction is still very rigid.

I'm happy for this. I reay hate the movement in the HD rockstar games.

• @neocweeny

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it just feels very PS2-ish. I know it's a faithful remaster though. It doesn't have to be like GTA V to a tee. It's more noticeable if you compare something like NBA Live 2004 vs NBA2K14 where there is that noticeable limitation of motion between the older games where your model animates more rigid between left thumbstick inputs whereas modern games utilize the "six axis of motion" (or whatever the design term is), basically meaning that there is an animation or motion based on any direction you push the left thumbstick. So I thought that they'd perhaps give the GTA Remaster a bit more fluidity in the moving and aiming to modernize it.

It's an extreme nitpick but I thought maybe they would add more motion between movements. I'm cool either way.

• It also still looks like a PS2 game. Just with some effects thrown on top of it.

It's a weird looking game for sure. I'm curious if it will grow on me once I play it.

• This post is deleted!

• https://www.ign.com/videos/gta-trilogy-is-having-a-rough-launch-ign-daily-fix

Is anyone here playing this thing? Is it really that bad?

• @neocweeny im playing San Andreas and it’s alright.

• I've started playing San Andreas on Game Pass and there are some big problems. Firstly small lines of dialogue have been erased from the original version like Tenpenny would say to Carl "see you around like a donut Carl", among other minor omissions . Technical problems are jarring such as animations flowing improperly like a character shooting a gun when the character model isn't there sort of thing. Subtitles getting ahead of the action is another bugbear. This simply feels like R* made a hack job out of developing this trilogy which sucks. I'm getting this nagging sense that they've made a Mafia 2-level Definitive Edition out of the GTA Trilogy which is such a damn shame.

• @jdincinerator said in Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy Remastered:

I've started playing San Andreas on Game Pass and there are some big problems. Firstly small lines of dialogue have been erased from the original version like Tenpenny would say to Carl "see you around like a donut Carl", among other minor omissions .

WTF

• Reviews are starting to trickle out
    Youtube Video

Youtube Video