Videogame Pet Peeves

• What videogame pet peeves do you have?

I don't know about you guys, but when I shoot guns in videogames I expect the enemies to die in a few bullets after some well-placed shots or maybe in one shot thanks to a blast from an almighty shotgun round. I do not want to keep chipping away at health bars with guns in videogames because why even have guns as weapons if they don't do the damage they should be dealing?

• Describing a game as linear as a
    Negative without elaborating. Its like saying this game is vertical I don't like it. Totally meaningless.

• Linear games

• Also justifying weeb peado bait games. We're watching you, deleting your Internet history won't help you.

• "Filler content", especially near the end of the game.
      Having overly long levels near the end, missions that feel like padding, having to repeat boss fights (like Mega Man),... that kind of stuff. At some point I just want to game to wrap up, even if it's a really good game. I'd never criticize for being too short as long as it's enjoyable from start to finish.

• Too many interuptions at the beginning of the game.
      This is a problem sooo many video games from the last 15 years have. It's when the introduction to a game is so broken up with tutorials, text prompts, cutscenes,... There are better ways to teach the player things than to dump a lot of information at the start and constantly break up the gameplay.

• Anyone who thinks the N64 has a better game library than the Saturn.

• @paulmci27 You talking just western releases?

• People who like the sega Saturn

• @e_zed_eh_intern Fuck no I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

• Industry Wide

Trend following is my #1 pet peeve.

One game adds a mechanic and it's successful. Every other game on the market follows the trend with a minimal twist. It's out of control at this point.

• XP Level grind in COD4 MP was a H-U-G-E trend that became hegemonized across all MP games. I think this was a trend for the worse because the game design is based more around unlocking things than winning matches.

• Open world check list. AC, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, FarCry, and MANY more all follow an extremely similar open world structure.

Per the Days Gone director: "There are only so many ways you can dress up an interact [...] literally the gameplay is 'I'm gonna go here, press a button, pick up a thing, take it here, drop the thing off' [...] That's the loop for 90% of open world games. What you do is dress it up the best you can."

OR—and maybe this is a crazy thought—you can NOT make an open world game just because those types of games are popular, and make something more compelling perhaps?

• Battle Royale. A fine genre, sure, but it doesn't need to be the only option for tactical MP gameplay. Unless I want to play CS GO or R6 Siege (which are old ass games) I need to play Warzone, Tarkov, PUBG for tactical elimination MP games.

• @dipset I'm right there with you with open world check list such an obvious choice now that you've brought it up. That's why I love curated semi open areas like Dues Ex, Dishonored and Metro Exodus. I'm really hoping Halo Infinite follows this example.

• When a game's story feels like it's ending but then it continues. Ia hate this kind of pacing choice. I am just getting in the mood for the grande finale then gme continues from there. First example that came to my mind is Batman: Arkham Origins. I was really furious when it didn't end with the

capturing of Joker

And instead just continued for another 1-2 hours.

Lore materials that are longer and much more than The Last of Us's, RE's, GoW's collectibles. I'm a little bit obessive person, so I need to read them all but when they are not moderate like the series I mentioned and instead just pouring with additonal information like Assassin's Creed for example or Outriders as a near past subject I just lost it and get annoyed as hell! They cause my flow with the game getting damaged. That was one of the reasons I couldn't finish Doom 2016.

• @neocweeny
    Can agree on both fronts, like Death Stranding having something like 6 different points where it could have ended but instead it JUST KEEPS GOING, AND GOING, AND GOING.

And tutorials are a tricky thing where I think a combination of factors have to be accounted for. Like Far Cry Blood Dragon does the info dump thing but the game is assuming you've already played Far Cry 3.
    There's also context like I'm not the biggest fan of the "Naughty Dog" tutorial process (especially after TLOU2 makes you "learn" everything 3 times) but I find Uncharted 2 to be the best implementation of it (also the first if I recall) with gameplay elements being introduced in a way that makes sense to the story being told at that time.

• The worst part about the game never ending when you think it is, is because it always results in me staying up to 3-4am when I thought it was nearly finished at midnight. And in the end, I could barely enjoy finishing the game because I'm way too tired. But the game probably gave me no reasonable place to save, or I'm not sure if it autosaved.

This happened to me a few notable times last gen with The Evil Within and Persona 5. Fuck they just kept going and going at the "end".

With Rest Mode we can finally just put that issue to bed, but even then, you're playing with fire a bit in case your system accidentally turns off overnight.

• @dipset said in Videogame Pet Peeves:

The worst part about the game never ending when you think it is, is because it always results in me staying up to 3-4am when I thought it was nearly finished at midnight. And in the end, I could barely enjoy finishing the game because I'm way too tired. But the game probably gave me no reasonable place to save, or I'm not sure if it autosaved.

This happened to me a few notable times last gen with The Evil Within and Persona 5 EVERYTHING

With Rest Mode we can finally just put that issue to bed, but even then, you're playing with fire a bit in case your system accidentally turns off overnight.

Sick pun.

• Games that have a lack of accessibility options.