The First Year of PS5 and Xbox Series

• @bam541 Thanks :)
    It's still really difficult to get one here in the UK but thanks to some time off in the morning and constant refreshing I managed to snag a bundle with an extra controller and Ratchet & Clank.
    I plan to pop into town and buy Demons Souls, Deathloop and Tormented Souls once it arrives.

• It's a weird gen, in a good way. The transition to the SX was super smooth. Feels more like upgrading a PC, nothing really changes but everything is better.

There's this perfect storm of; returning to Portugal exactly as Covid happened, more free time, Gamepass and then the SX releasing that landed me in gaming heaven.

• PS Blog: The PS5 Turns 1 Today

0_1636730381075_8e117f78-b8a2-4dc2-8992-35064f347c8f-image.png

No shade towards anybody putting hours into those Top 10 games, but it's obviously an extremely vanilla list. Then I see Demon's Souls at #9! Nice!

My buddy's girlfriend found him a PS5 in the wild yesterday and he immediately downloaded Demon's Souls so I know a lot of people played it to see a true next-gen game, but I really think it stood out as an amazing game by 2020/2021 standards. It's crazy to think the Bluepoint remaster looks significantly better and more atmospheric with better overall presentation than From Software's next-gen game, Elden Ring.

Honestly, and I know this is such a "big corporate" thing to suggest, but I wouldn't be mad if Sony just said to Bluepoint, "here's the keys, go make Demon's Souls 2 or Bloodborne 2". Yeah, it'll feel sour that a massive corporation is just profiting off of something they didn't directly make, but I feel like Bluepoint has the chops.

• PS5 was a letdown and I don't see it's going to be as beloved as previous generations with Jim Ryan's new greedy and antipathetic ideas about brand's future. Like I said before: As an exclusive lover and a big fan of Playstation, this year was the end for me in a way. Specifically Days Gone PC announcement was the reason but Death Stranding's/GoT's/Horzion 2's weird and stupid kind of deals between versions etc. didn't help either. Oh and then there is that event where we waited for a year to watch and it was just lame as hell. I still will be there on day one for GoW, Spidey, new IPs but I don't have any sympathy for the brand anymore.

Again and again: If you are going on this route you should be as clear as day and not act shady.

• @scotty

The dumb variation of SKU's is definitely a bit shady, but in the end, life is too short for me to fret about corporate nonsense so long as it's something I can avoid. I only buy games that I want to play nowadays so in the end, I only care about the quality of the game. The cross-buy or lack thereof isn't a deal breaker for me. Sony, M$, Nintendo, and everybody else just takes turns nickel and diming and I just try to ignore it nowadays.

Personally, I think it's waaaaay too early to call PS5 a let down. We're only 365 days in and it's been a solid first year relative to other console gen's.

• @dipset

There are better ways to ask for money and still not become this greedy. I was a big fan besides quality games and they lost me in that aspect.

Letdown part comes from the ongoing change in the company's policies and I don't think they will backtrack from that change.

• Got a Series X to pickup tomorrow after work. Will give impressions when I get it.

Also did not resort to a scalper.

Edit: it arrived today

Edit 2: Console is home and downloading games

• Well, after about 2 weeks with my PS5 I'd say it's a bit of a mixed bag. I think my only real issue is kind of what I expected it to be, in that it just doesn't really feel like a new console generation, at least comparing it to how it used to be. I had the same issue with the PS4 though to be honest so I guess things will never be like they used to with regards getting a new, more powerful console; due to diminishing returns I guess.
    On the positive side though I really love the "crispness" of everything and It's kind of highlighted just how much of a waste of money my PS4 Pro was. I have four games so far but I've yet to try R&C. So far though, I honestly think my favourite experience with the console has simply been revisiting Death Stranding, it's just that beautiful, now even more so ^.^

• @sheria

I hear everything you're saying and agree for the most part, but when I played PS5 for the first time, I felt like the next-gen factor was a bit undersold. Between Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls, and playing BFV on PS5, I couldn't believe how smooth and buttery the experience was. On top of that Demon's Souls has such an amazing presentation with an additional layer of atmosphere brought with a lot of love and attention to the audio design.

So all this to say, I actually felt the leap from PS4 Pro to PS5 much more than I felt the leap from PS3 to PS4. I agree that PS4 Pro was a waste of $500 and I should've just waited 2 years for the PS5. But even from the Pro >> 5, I feel so much more satisfied with PS5.

But I hear you, it is an iteration of a pre-existing device so the leap feels less impactful, but it's still a satisfying improvement in my opinion.

• I guess I like the rush of the pre-order craze because I had zero interest in getting either but then jumped into the pre-orders day of and managed to get one of each. The Xbox I sold to a friend before it had even arrived. The PS5 another friend wanted and then changed his mind so I kept it.

I'm not sure if anything has changed but I remember the UI felt super barebones and beta to me. I was pretty disappointed with the launch lineup but was fortunately in the middle of Borderlands 3 so got to play the PS5 version of that a lot. Save transfers didn't work properly and it stopped tracking my progress. I didn't see any games that interested me so that was when I decided to sell it. While I would say the price isn't justified, once I went back to Borderlands on PS4, I really saw the difference. The load times and frame rate on PS5 are insane. I have barely played Borderlands since. Still doesn't justify the PS5 price to me but super impressive stuff.

• Maybe being a basically 2000s kid kinda made me less caring for generation jumps. I certainly understand people who feels that way, but I dunno. I'm just happy that I get to replace my sluggish old console with a faster new one. That being said, having 60 FPS games being the norm automatically makes this gen at least a bigger jump than the PS3-PS4 jump for me, and the DualSense certainly helped that. I also appreciate the immediacy and user friendlyness of the new consoles, although that's not really exclusive to these consoles.

• @dipset said in The First Year of PS5 and Xbox Series:

@sheria

I hear everything you're saying and agree for the most part, but when I played PS5 for the first time, I felt like the next-gen factor was a bit undersold. Between Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls, and playing BFV on PS5, I couldn't believe how smooth and buttery the experience was. On top of that Demon's Souls has such an amazing presentation with an additional layer of atmosphere brought with a lot of love and attention to the audio design.

So all this to say, I actually felt the leap from PS4 Pro to PS5 much more than I felt the leap from PS3 to PS4. I agree that PS4 Pro was a waste of $500 and I should've just waited 2 years for the PS5. But even from the Pro >> 5, I feel so much more satisfied with PS5.

But I hear you, it is an iteration of a pre-existing device so the leap feels less impactful, but it's still a satisfying improvement in my opinion.

For me a smoother experience is not enough for a next gen jump. It's more like what the PS4 Pro should have been.

I do think the jump from PS3 and PS4 was also not that big at first. I'm sure after some years things will get better for ps5 and Xbox series X.