The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!

• @ffff0 it was to facilitate 4 player coop which kinda created a problem for the rest of the series.

• WOW massive catch up here. Was sick all weekend.

God of War II

I never played this in 2007 so I didn't quite understand all of the hype around it (and hack n slash) games in general. I played it in 2009 to get hyped up for GoW3 and I was blown away by not only the game, but the scale and presentation. I think GoW2 is such a classic game is because it has a solid foundation in the combat. But it presents new ideas and scenarios that play differently from the rest of the game. And right before this new thing wears out it's welcome, it moves on. So every part of the game feels fresh as you play through it.

The series might've topped GoW2 in other ways, but GOW2 is still the most well rounded game in the series. Also, what a swan song for PS2!

--

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Where do I even begin with this game? I went up and down my GOTY Top 4 before I landed on #4. I've watched a bunch of BTS and read a few books about Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs, and one common thing all of the producers and actors said after reading the script was that they couldn't believe film dialogue could be written in such a way that it sounds like the way people speak in real life.

Uncharted was that but in video games. For all of it's praise of being cinematic, it's also grounded with characters that feel real. The human-like dialogue starts right off the rip as they excavate Sir Frances Drake's tomb out of the ocean while Elena narrates for her documentary. Then when Scully flies in with his prop plane, you forget you are playing a video game, but it's hooks you into the dialogue like any good film would. Scully is a genuine ball breaker. We've all met someone like him in real life who is constantly cracking jokes (maybe hiding a little pain inside too).

And the dialogue is just the tip of the iceberg. Like all ND games, there is fantastic camera blocking too where, again, you get lost in the world based on the immersive camera coverage that tells the dialogue intimately, but also brings you right into these environments.

The graphics were the best I'd ever seen at that time and the music elevated the overall package to such great highs. The three staples of the gameplay were gunplay, combat, and platforming. And the biggest flaw of UC1 is that they feel like three separate elements that become whole in UC2. But to this day, I still like it for what it is.

My favourite thing about UC1 is the self contained adventure romp story. It's the closet thing we've gotten to a Star Wars/Indy original trilogy sequel outside of Star Wars/Indy. You're running around a cursed island with some solid backtracking to make the story feel tense with a cat-and-mouse chase. The premise is to stay away from the villain, grab the treasure, and protect your friends. It's such a simple romp, kinda like Romancing The Stone, and it'll forever be my favourite Uncharted (although not the best) for that reason.

• Halo 3

I still have never finished the Halo 3 Campaign and it's still my retroactive GOTY of 2007. Halo 3 is the definition of the saying, "they don't make em like they used to."

As I said in the EA Skate post, 2007 was defined by skateboarding, playing Skate, and playing Halo 3 (with some Oblivion sprinkled in for good measure). Our sleepovers were absolutely lit jumping into 4-player split screen multiplayer online. We'd met random kids on XBL in it's golden era, invite them to play in Forge mode with us. So we'd be socializing with some kid in California while we build a tower in Forge mode. Forge was basically digital Lego at the time and extremely appealing to a kid my age.

But the bread and butter is the online multiplayer. Honestly, Halo campaign's are fun, but it's the multiplayer that makes the series legendary and the gameplay formula was beyond perfected in Halo 3. The BR is perfect. Leading your shots added an extra layer of skill to the game that was missing in Halo CE and Halo 2 (don't get me wrong, those games took skill, but getting kills is much more difficult in H3). The map design and power weapon placement has never been better. The TTK and physics system was at it's most perfect in Halo 3 (who can forget the flying pylon kill).

They just don't make em like this anymore. In a world where team-based games rule the industry, I long for more games like Halo 3 that have asymmetrical maps and power weapons that allow players to just go on a tear. There is nothing like having a squad of 4 and going 50-15 on some scrubs in Social playlist. But at the same time, the maps and weapons allow for highly skilled teams to absolutely bring the house on you which creates extremely competitive matches. You just don't get that level of competition in modern multiplayer FPS. Hell, the only other game that really feels that way is... Halo 2...

I could go on and on about how great Halo 3 is and how magical that golden era of Xbox Live was, but I'll leave off by saying that I have played over 200 hours of Halo 3 in the year 2021 alone, so that says a lot. Because despite playing it at my friends house, I never owned Halo 3 or had a XB 360 (unless you count one month in 2011 before it bricked). So having the ability to play it at my house and connect with my friends through online has elevated this game to even greater heights a solid 15 years later.

It is STILL the best multiplayer game on the market TODAY. Not even Infinite has that same speed, balance, and intensity as Halo 3.

• @bigdude1 said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

it was to facilitate 4 player coop which kinda created a problem for the rest of the series.

Yeah, I've never played any Halo in multiplayer. But Borderlands proves that it's possible to make co-op-centric game that's fun even if you play alone. So I still think that Halo games are lacking. Hopefully Halo: Infinite will be an improvement.

• @ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

@bigdude1 said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

it was to facilitate 4 player coop which kinda created a problem for the rest of the series.

Yeah, I've never played any Halo in multiplayer. But Borderlands proves that it's possible to make co-op-centric game that's fun even if you play alone. So I still think that Halo games are lacking. Hopefully Halo: Infinite will be an improvement.

Well, considering co-op campaign will be a patch by Season 3 (about 9 months after launch), I assume the game will need to stand on it's own as a solo campaign. Per some players with early access to Infinite's campaign, it's quite good but I am personally going to continue my extremely slow replay of the series and do Infinite co-op next year.

• 0_1637612081355_BioShock.jpg

#5: BioShock - 23 points

Votes

#1: 2 (JDINCINERATOR, Crepe)
    #2: 1 (DemonPirate)
    #3: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #4: 1 (Shoulderguy)
    HM: 4 (brunojoey, ffff0, kindiman, Phbz)

Information

Release date: NA: August 21, PAL: August 24
    Developer: 2K Boston, 2K Australia
    Publisher: 2K Games
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, OS X, iOS, Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• BioShock has so much personality and atmosphere, with interesting characters and unique environments. While the mix of melee, guns and plasmids make for fun combat. I thought this game looked incredible at the time and I would love to see a new BioShock on PS5 and Series X hardware.

• A few of us have had the occasional Bioshock conversation in our Fantasy Critic Discord, and I think we all agree that it's a great game and series. For me, I wasn't into the arena twitchy games like Halo 3 and COD4 all that much in 2007. I was cool with them, but I much preferred stealth games or action games more calculated gameplay than shoot shoot shoot.

Bioshock blew me away seeing it on G4 Tech TV all the time and GameTrailers had so many off camera previews of it before it launched. I just knew I could never own a 360 AND a PS3 so I couldn't really play it. My dad happened to get a laptop from Costco that could just barely run Bioshock so I played it and I was blown away by the freedom of choice. I can antagonize a Splicer into a trip mine or send them into a whirlwind which will launch them into the sky. It's probably the most interesting FPS game I'd played up to that point.

My #1 takeaway from Bioshock is Rapture. It's a top-tier video game location and the backtracking in the game design makes you slowly memorize the locations kinda like Lordran in Dark Souls. The hallways feel well worn and when you revisit a place and it's slightly changed, it keeps you on edge the whole time. Rapture is the star of this game and it's up there with Butcher Bay from Riddick, Arkham Asylum from Batman, and Sevastopol from Alien Isolation.

Rapture is honestly one of the best if not the best settings in gaming. Period.

• BioShock was a bit of a letdown for me. Looked like a really good and unique game at first but I thought it was actually really boring to play.

Playing the System Shock games later also made me realise just what was missing here.

• The only hands on time I have of the original Bioshock is I played the demo which ends as you're first introduced to Andrew Ryan (Not the recording in the Bathysphere as you enter Rapture, but when he actually talks to you for the first time).

Personally, it didn't click for me, and that little bit I played actually didn't endear me to Rapture, though I do recognize its iconography. The only Bioshock I HAVE played is Infinite, and it's ok, but nothing too special.

So for the original, though I do have a copy as part of a version of Infinite on PS3, I don't believe I'll ever play it. And yes, I know "Would You Kindly?" Like Aerith from Final Fantasy VII, it's a plot point that's IMPOSSIBLE to avoid, even for someone like me who has no inclination towards the original Bioshock.

• BioShock is my #8. I've played 1 and 2 in 2011 and it was "that was fine, onto the next game on my list" experience. I don't see anything that makes this series so special for others, but it's not like I was regretting spending time on these games.

• Bioshock is one the biggest blind spots for me in that gen, never got around to playing any of them, even though I'm sure I would like them, at least for the atmosphere and world-building. At this point I'm not sure I'll ever take the time to go through it though.

• I tried playing Bioshock 2 times: first on the PS3 version that came with Bioshock Infinite, and second on the PS4 remaster. I love exploring Rapture, it is truly a special and one-of-a-kind gaming location, but gameplay and story wise it rubs me in the wrong way. It's not really my kind of first person shooter. Every time I think of the hacking minigame, it makes me want to punch the game's boxed copy in frustration, lol.

• Bioshock captivated me like no other game in 2007. Considering that at the time I had a vendetta against Nintendo for going the more casual route with the Wii (forgive me I was 15 at the time), Bioshock was a game that I first discovered when IGN and GT reviewed it, then I felt like I really needed it so I can support what I thought at the time was an unheralded gem because it had deeper subject matter than many games that came out at the time. Bioshock was a breath of fresh air to me and I had never played a game quite like it. Sure it might rip liberally off what System Shock did but I loved it and I still think highly of it but haven't played any of the games for years.

• Bioshock is great for its world and writing but gameplay sets it back. It's not that much of a FPS and its immersive sim roots are way too shallow. But never the less I believe it's that kind of classic that can be played and enjoyed even today.

• BioShock's an excellent video game, my #3 of that year. The world and the whole scenario is atmospheric as hell, and how you get to know all that as you journey through Rapture feels great. The audio tapes worked well back then (and I still have nothing against them in games nowadays) and the voice actors in general do really nice job throughout the game.

• 0_1637696174317_Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare.jpg

#4: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 26 points

Votes

#1: 1 (kindiman)
    #2: 4 (Nimbat1003, bam541, Scotty, Crepe)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (JDINCINERATOR)
    HM: 3 (NeoCweeny, Tearju Engi, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: NA: November 5, AU: November 7, EU: November 9
    Developer: Infinity Ward
    Publisher: Activision
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, OS X, Wii

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Modern Warfare is the kind of shooter that I remember people were frothing over back in 2007 and it became the measuring stick all other multiplayer shooters to beat. Call of Duty 4 is also responsible for the utterly and ridiculously stupid amount of success the franchise would go on to have for many years to come. I'm not a super devout Call of Duty player but you don't need to be one to recognize and appreciate how much of an impact COD4 made on the industry.

• Just as Halo 3 just made it into my top 8, Modern Warfare just missed out, meaning it's 9th out 16 of 2007 for me.

I've said before, the MW3 E3 demo had me want to play the trilogy and this first game is my introduction to CoD, and ultimately, I regret it, ESPECIALLY as I've gotten older.

I barely ever played any multiplayer as I only was interested in the campaign, and while the nuke detonation in 2007 may have been huge, when I first played it like a decade ago, it didn't hit me in that way. The All Ghillied Up mission though is great because it's all about stealth and subterfuge and not constant insane set-pieces that CoD is known for. And yes, I 100%ed it. That includes the Veteran achievements, including Mile High Club. No it wasn't worth it. No I'll never do that again.

Overall, the sniper mission aside, I don't think it holds up today for a variety of reasons. Credit to it for fundamentally altering the course of both CoD and FPS design on console for better and especially worse. Yet, if I could, I would erase every instance of CoD from my profile and memory if I could, not because of the meme prompt of, "What do you wish you could experience for the first time again," but instead CoD games are both boring and I have personal qualms with several aspects that make up these games.

• Oh man. I STRONGLY disagree with COD4 being this high above other FPS games from 2007 that have aged like a fine wine. COD4 has aged like milk.

The Campaign is still probably in the top 3 of the entire series and I do appreciate the in-game storytelling that has since gone out the window in recent games. But the linear campaign missions are hit or miss. It would be better with less aggressive AI like they created in MW2. If you go back and play COD2's Campaign, it stands out as having a bit of room to explore and it doesn't feel dated through COD4's infamous linearity where you literally die if you step off the intended path. But overall, I still like the Campaign. It holds up in many ways having replayed it recently.

But the MP is just outright bad. It was aggravating in 2007, but the addiction factor kept us tolerating a lot of nonsense. But playing it in 2021... Holy shit is this just B-A-D. And I went back and played the older COD2 this year as well and had a much better time. The gun balance + perks can make for a completely broken system. M16 + Stopping Power = 1 shot kill (1, 3 burst trigger pull). That is insane. Then the Killstreak spam is just insufferable with the vast majority of any given match spent hiding indoors from helicopters.

I feel like there is some nostalgia goggles going on here cause... yeah... aged like milk.