The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!

• Modern Warfare is the kind of shooter that I remember people were frothing over back in 2007 and it became the measuring stick all other multiplayer shooters to beat. Call of Duty 4 is also responsible for the utterly and ridiculously stupid amount of success the franchise would go on to have for many years to come. I'm not a super devout Call of Duty player but you don't need to be one to recognize and appreciate how much of an impact COD4 made on the industry.

• Just as Halo 3 just made it into my top 8, Modern Warfare just missed out, meaning it's 9th out 16 of 2007 for me.

I've said before, the MW3 E3 demo had me want to play the trilogy and this first game is my introduction to CoD, and ultimately, I regret it, ESPECIALLY as I've gotten older.

I barely ever played any multiplayer as I only was interested in the campaign, and while the nuke detonation in 2007 may have been huge, when I first played it like a decade ago, it didn't hit me in that way. The All Ghillied Up mission though is great because it's all about stealth and subterfuge and not constant insane set-pieces that CoD is known for. And yes, I 100%ed it. That includes the Veteran achievements, including Mile High Club. No it wasn't worth it. No I'll never do that again.

Overall, the sniper mission aside, I don't think it holds up today for a variety of reasons. Credit to it for fundamentally altering the course of both CoD and FPS design on console for better and especially worse. Yet, if I could, I would erase every instance of CoD from my profile and memory if I could, not because of the meme prompt of, "What do you wish you could experience for the first time again," but instead CoD games are both boring and I have personal qualms with several aspects that make up these games.

• Oh man. I STRONGLY disagree with COD4 being this high above other FPS games from 2007 that have aged like a fine wine. COD4 has aged like milk.

The Campaign is still probably in the top 3 of the entire series and I do appreciate the in-game storytelling that has since gone out the window in recent games. But the linear campaign missions are hit or miss. It would be better with less aggressive AI like they created in MW2. If you go back and play COD2's Campaign, it stands out as having a bit of room to explore and it doesn't feel dated through COD4's infamous linearity where you literally die if you step off the intended path. But overall, I still like the Campaign. It holds up in many ways having replayed it recently.

But the MP is just outright bad. It was aggravating in 2007, but the addiction factor kept us tolerating a lot of nonsense. But playing it in 2021... Holy shit is this just B-A-D. And I went back and played the older COD2 this year as well and had a much better time. The gun balance + perks can make for a completely broken system. M16 + Stopping Power = 1 shot kill (1, 3 burst trigger pull). That is insane. Then the Killstreak spam is just insufferable with the vast majority of any given match spent hiding indoors from helicopters.

I feel like there is some nostalgia goggles going on here cause... yeah... aged like milk.

• I played the remastered version 2-3 years ago, and this game still holds up so well. In the grand scheme of CoD, the campaign has a special place for balancing between impressive blockbuster action and grounding itself in reality, transitioning between the WWII grounded era and the modern blockbusters. The opening ship level, the aftermath of the first act, that legendary ghillie mission; these are some of the most memorable moments in gaming for me. Not to mention that this game directly influenced Uncharted 2, a very important game in my favorite franchise. Multiplayer wise it's pretty decent, definitely not up to MW2's highs but this game basically debuted the popular FPS multiplayer formula, so no biggie. This is still on my top 5 FPS games of all time, and definitely my favorite CoD game.

• Back in 2007 COD4 would have been my number 1 but I grew out of the online shooter genre. COD4 was actually the last in the genre that I played a lot. I still have a lot of great memories from it, that's why I had to give it an HM.

• 0_1637782584214_SuperMarioGalaxy.jpg

#3: Super Mario Galaxy - 27 points

Votes

#1: 1 (brunojoey)
    #2: 4 (Shoulderguy, JDINCINERATOR, Phbz, NeoCweeny)
    #3: 1 (Crepe)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Brannox, Axel, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: NA: November 12, EU: November 16, AU: November 29
    Developer: Nintendo EAD Tokyo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platform, action-adventure
    Platform(s): Wii, Shield Tablet

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Wow I thought Super Mario Galaxy would be number 1 and even though the 15 year-old me from back then would detest me saying it-Super Mario Galaxy deserves GOTY status. What a magical unbelievably inventive platformer, bursting with new ideas at every turn it's a truly staggering achievement.

• Okay, I have no idea what #1 and #2 are then...

Personally, I grew up with N64 and Nintendo and I was extremely unimpressed with the Wii after absolutely adoring the GameCube. I ended up playing Galaxy at my friends house who had all of the consoles and it did absolutely nothing for me. I felt like the Nintendo magic wore out on me around 2007. I cannot explain how unenjoyable the Wiimote and the motion waggling was to me. The game just felt like a chore to play and the space backgrounds felt samey to me.

I know Galaxy 1 & 2 are beloved by many fans, but Mario Odyssey was so much better in my eyes. I respect the detour the Super Mario series took in this era. You can't keep making Mario 64 forever, so I appreciate going for something different, but it just wasn't for me.

• Super Mario Galaxy has tight polished gameplay with a great orchestral soundtrack. The level design is very creative and soaring through space as Mario is extremely jolly.

The only thing I didn't like about Galaxy was using the Wii controls. But playing the Dolphin emulated higher resolution version without motion controls, has pushed Super Mario Galaxy higher up on my 2007 GOTY list.

• All the way back when the thread calling for votes were created, I had intimated I had a game I've only seen in full but didn't play I wanted to put a vote in for, and this is it. I watched Damiani's full playthrough of Galaxy, and from what I saw, it was completely delightful, from locations to story. One of the very few Nintendo games I would ever want to go out and play if given the opportunity. Because I didn't go hands-on myself, I couldn't justify placing it any higher than 7th overall from my 2007 list.

As far as the final two, since I fully expect to see both my 2nd and 3rd place votes to show up, I'm completely happy with how it'll turn out. But I'll go into detail about those and others in my wrap-up post once the final reveal happens.

• @shoulderguy some of the best elements used the motion controls and pointer. It truly was made for the system. Even the switch version doesn’t match up to the precision

• Nintendo games as a whole is my biggest hole in terms of gaming libraries. I've been planning on getting an used Wii to play some exclusives including Galaxy, but there might be not enough time for that considering how many good new games are coming out these days.

• I love galaxy and honestly feel the game is made better by the motion controls. Very simple and non intrusive implementation.

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

Okay, I have no idea what #1 and #2 are then...

Mass Effect and Portal

• @sheria Ahead of Galaxy? Madness!

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

Okay, I have no idea what #1 and #2 are then...

Easy, Mario Strikers and WarioWare. Time for some real games to shine.

• I'd gone to Cardiff for by Birthday when Mario Galaxy came out, but it wasn't actually the game I most excited for at that time.
    November the 16th was the day that Assassins Creed, Mario Galaxy and Silent Hill Origins all decided to drop in the UK. Silent Hill was the one I'd specifically visited the game shop for but I still ended up buying all three that day.
    Sadly, Mario Galaxy was a let down for me. I adore the style of platform game Mario 64 went for and I fell in love with Sunshine as well. Galaxy dropped what I would call the "adventure" side of the genre 3D Mario had essentially created and I didn't appreciate the change to a more linear structure at all.

• 0_1637865125511_MassEffect.jpg

#2: Mass Effect - 34 points

Votes

#1: 3 (ffff0, bam541, Capnbobamous)
    #2: 2 (Brannox, Axel)
    #3: 2 (JDINCINERATOR, Phbz)
    #4: 1 (Sheria)
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, Nimbat1003, DIPSET)

Information

Release date: NA: November 20, AU: November 22, EU: November 23
    Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios (X360), Electronic Arts (PC, PS3)
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• 0_1637867123010_Portal.jpg

#1: Portal - 37 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Phbz, E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    #2: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    #3: 6 (Shoulderguy, brunojoey, Oscillator, Brannox, Nimbat1003, Axel)
    #4: 1 (Crepe)
    HM: 3 (ffff0, bam541, NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: (The Orange Box) NA: October 10, EU: October 18, AU: October 25
    Developer: Valve
    Publisher: Valve
    Genre: Puzzle-platform
    Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, OS X, Linux, Android

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I finished Mass Effect for the first time with the Legendary Edition this year. It gets an honorable mention from me for creating such an incredible universe, that led to one of my all-time favorite games - Mass Effect 2.

I bought The Orange Box on Xbox 360 for Half-Life 2 but Portal was the real stand-out game from that collection. The innovative puzzle game design combined with it's smart entertaining storytelling, make it one of my favorite games of 2007.

My Picks:

1. Halo 3
    2. Super Mario Galaxy
    3. Portal
    4. BioShock
    5. (HM) NCAA Football 08
    6. (HM) Pokémon Diamond
    7. (HM) Mass Effect
    8. (HM) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All

My full ranked list of 30 games on GGapp

I'll post the recap in a day or two, which includes all the games that missed the top 20.