The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!

• 0_1637782584214_SuperMarioGalaxy.jpg

#3: Super Mario Galaxy - 27 points

Votes

#1: 1 (brunojoey)
    #2: 4 (Shoulderguy, JDINCINERATOR, Phbz, NeoCweeny)
    #3: 1 (Crepe)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Brannox, Axel, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: NA: November 12, EU: November 16, AU: November 29
    Developer: Nintendo EAD Tokyo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platform, action-adventure
    Platform(s): Wii, Shield Tablet

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Wow I thought Super Mario Galaxy would be number 1 and even though the 15 year-old me from back then would detest me saying it-Super Mario Galaxy deserves GOTY status. What a magical unbelievably inventive platformer, bursting with new ideas at every turn it's a truly staggering achievement.

• Okay, I have no idea what #1 and #2 are then...

Personally, I grew up with N64 and Nintendo and I was extremely unimpressed with the Wii after absolutely adoring the GameCube. I ended up playing Galaxy at my friends house who had all of the consoles and it did absolutely nothing for me. I felt like the Nintendo magic wore out on me around 2007. I cannot explain how unenjoyable the Wiimote and the motion waggling was to me. The game just felt like a chore to play and the space backgrounds felt samey to me.

I know Galaxy 1 & 2 are beloved by many fans, but Mario Odyssey was so much better in my eyes. I respect the detour the Super Mario series took in this era. You can't keep making Mario 64 forever, so I appreciate going for something different, but it just wasn't for me.

• Super Mario Galaxy has tight polished gameplay with a great orchestral soundtrack. The level design is very creative and soaring through space as Mario is extremely jolly.

The only thing I didn't like about Galaxy was using the Wii controls. But playing the Dolphin emulated higher resolution version without motion controls, has pushed Super Mario Galaxy higher up on my 2007 GOTY list.

• All the way back when the thread calling for votes were created, I had intimated I had a game I've only seen in full but didn't play I wanted to put a vote in for, and this is it. I watched Damiani's full playthrough of Galaxy, and from what I saw, it was completely delightful, from locations to story. One of the very few Nintendo games I would ever want to go out and play if given the opportunity. Because I didn't go hands-on myself, I couldn't justify placing it any higher than 7th overall from my 2007 list.

As far as the final two, since I fully expect to see both my 2nd and 3rd place votes to show up, I'm completely happy with how it'll turn out. But I'll go into detail about those and others in my wrap-up post once the final reveal happens.

• @shoulderguy some of the best elements used the motion controls and pointer. It truly was made for the system. Even the switch version doesn’t match up to the precision

• Nintendo games as a whole is my biggest hole in terms of gaming libraries. I've been planning on getting an used Wii to play some exclusives including Galaxy, but there might be not enough time for that considering how many good new games are coming out these days.

• I love galaxy and honestly feel the game is made better by the motion controls. Very simple and non intrusive implementation.

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

Okay, I have no idea what #1 and #2 are then...

Mass Effect and Portal

• @sheria Ahead of Galaxy? Madness!

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

Okay, I have no idea what #1 and #2 are then...

Easy, Mario Strikers and WarioWare. Time for some real games to shine.

• I'd gone to Cardiff for by Birthday when Mario Galaxy came out, but it wasn't actually the game I most excited for at that time.
    November the 16th was the day that Assassins Creed, Mario Galaxy and Silent Hill Origins all decided to drop in the UK. Silent Hill was the one I'd specifically visited the game shop for but I still ended up buying all three that day.
    Sadly, Mario Galaxy was a let down for me. I adore the style of platform game Mario 64 went for and I fell in love with Sunshine as well. Galaxy dropped what I would call the "adventure" side of the genre 3D Mario had essentially created and I didn't appreciate the change to a more linear structure at all.

• 0_1637865125511_MassEffect.jpg

#2: Mass Effect - 34 points

Votes

#1: 3 (ffff0, bam541, Capnbobamous)
    #2: 2 (Brannox, Axel)
    #3: 2 (JDINCINERATOR, Phbz)
    #4: 1 (Sheria)
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, Nimbat1003, DIPSET)

Information

Release date: NA: November 20, AU: November 22, EU: November 23
    Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios (X360), Electronic Arts (PC, PS3)
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• 0_1637867123010_Portal.jpg

#1: Portal - 37 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Phbz, E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    #2: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    #3: 6 (Shoulderguy, brunojoey, Oscillator, Brannox, Nimbat1003, Axel)
    #4: 1 (Crepe)
    HM: 3 (ffff0, bam541, NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: (The Orange Box) NA: October 10, EU: October 18, AU: October 25
    Developer: Valve
    Publisher: Valve
    Genre: Puzzle-platform
    Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, OS X, Linux, Android

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I finished Mass Effect for the first time with the Legendary Edition this year. It gets an honorable mention from me for creating such an incredible universe, that led to one of my all-time favorite games - Mass Effect 2.

I bought The Orange Box on Xbox 360 for Half-Life 2 but Portal was the real stand-out game from that collection. The innovative puzzle game design combined with it's smart entertaining storytelling, make it one of my favorite games of 2007.

My Picks:

1. Halo 3
    2. Super Mario Galaxy
    3. Portal
    4. BioShock
    5. (HM) NCAA Football 08
    6. (HM) Pokémon Diamond
    7. (HM) Mass Effect
    8. (HM) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All

My full ranked list of 30 games on GGapp

I'll post the recap in a day or two, which includes all the games that missed the top 20.

• Oh shit okay I really didn't expect either of these games to be in the Top 2. I didn't expect Mass Effect because many people prefer the sequel and find the original dated (esp on 360). And I didn't expect Portal because it's literally 2 hours.

Mass Effect

Hated this game in 2007. My friends and I played Oblivion religiously and Mass Effect kinda confused us. We were young and not really deep into RPG games, but Oblivion was our gold standard. So playing a game with all of this talking and encyclopedic jargon was really boring. It was also kinda janky at launch on 360. But ME was one of the first games I played on my gaming PC in 2011 and I was blown away and could appreciate it being older. Honestly, Mass Effect and The Witcher was neck in neck for me and I love them both, but I feel like Mass Effect was a bit more polished while The Witcher was actually quite similar in all regards, but not as crisp.

Portal

I never expected to love Portal but once I started playing it, I couldn't put it down. It's magical to play something before the internet ruins it with their half hearted attempts of being non-spoilery, yet being entirely spoilery. "Just keep playing, it has a crazy twist" is what people would say. Well I got to experience that twist before anybody ruined it for me and not having that expectation then getting to experience it was magical.

• How I voted in this EZA Community Top 20

1. Halo 3
    2. Skate
    3. Warhawk
    4. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

HM: God of War II, Mass Effect, Team Fortress 2, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

--

My personal GOTY list in my 12-13 year old 2007 mindset

1. Skate
    2. Warhawk
    3. Assassin's Creed
    4. The Orange Box (TF2 > Portal > Half Life 2 EP 2)
    5. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    6. Rock Band
    7. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    8. Motorstorm
    9. Bioshock
    10. Halo 3
    11. COD4: Modern Warfare
    12. NHL 08
    13. MLB 07: The Show
    14. Super Stardust HD
    15. Stranglehold
    16. Beautiful Katamari
    17. Heavenly Sword
    18. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    19. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
    20. Call of Juarez

What really blew our fucking pre-teen minds was Assassin's Creed and Skate. AC because of the graphics on my friend's new HDTV, but also free roaming reached entirely new heights.

EA Skate was more than a game though. It had that extra special meaning to it. We'd literally have helmets on from skating all afternoon, then come inside for a break and play Skate with our helmets on. Our lives were skateboarding back then and EA Skate was just perfect timing.

We'd play Lupe Fiasco's The Cool or Billy Talent's Billy Talent II on repeat while playing Halo 3 at one friend's house.

It was a tradition for years to play 4-player split-screen Warhawk before, after, and during halftime at my Super Bowl parties.

I actually played even more than these games in 2007-2008 but these are the games that I love. 2007 was an amazing time. In middle school about 100% of my time was either playing hockey, skateboarding, mountain biking, and when that wasn't happening we'd stay up all night and have sleepovers playing the games above.

Middle school (late 2005 - early 2008) was just magic. I'd love to get back to those days.

--

Thanks @Shoulderguy for organizing this vote. 2007 had some many gems that they couldn't all make it, but damn it's fun to go back and think about this year.

• Mass Effect is my #1. I’ve replayed it in Legendary Edition this year and to my surprise, I was enjoying a 14-years old game. Sure, the biggest and the best part of Mass Effect is its world building, and video game storytelling ages a bit slower, but still… There are a lot of things to criticize here – empty planets, copy-pasted bases, useless companions, gathering side quests, but at the same time all of this repetitiveness and emptiness helps creating a feeling that the space is too big for you and even for humanity. Which, in turn, goes a long way for helping to make this world real and believable.

Also, I’ve replayed all trilogy in Legendary edition, and it helped me to really appreciate driving sections in Mass Effect. Again, they don’t add much on paper, but just this little gameplay shift makes the flow so much smoother and fresher. I’ve really missed Mako while going through yet another linear shooting gallery in Mass Effect 2.

Finally, shout out to Citadel. Yeah, it’s too small, but still, it’s much bigger than other locations, which makes it appropriately special. Follow-up games unfortunately lost that.

• Portal is my #7. It’s a really nice puzzle game, and ending song is wonderful, but it’s way to short. More than half of the game is tutorial, and when you just get ready to start solving some puzzles it’s already over. At least final level is longer than you’ve expected.

• Here’re my top 8 2007 games:

1. Mass Effect
    2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    3. The Witcher
    4. Assassin's Creed
    5. Heavenly Sword
    6. Folklore
    7. Portal
    8. BioShock

Heavenly Sword was one of my first PS3 games and it was a real showpiece. Also, I really liked acting and set pieces. Most likely it’s much worse than I remember, but I still have fond memories of it.

Folklore was gifted to me and while I didn’t like gameplay (there’s too much grind and too much combat), I enjoyed music and, especially, story revelations. Not surprised it’s not in our Top 20, but it’s for sure in my Top 8.