#1: 3 (ffff0, bam541, Capnbobamous)
    #2: 2 (Brannox, Axel)
    #3: 2 (JDINCINERATOR, Phbz)
    #4: 1 (Sheria)
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, Nimbat1003, DIPSET)

Information

Release date: NA: November 20, AU: November 22, EU: November 23
    Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios (X360), Electronic Arts (PC, PS3)
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• 0_1637867123010_Portal.jpg

#1: Portal - 37 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Phbz, E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    #2: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    #3: 6 (Shoulderguy, brunojoey, Oscillator, Brannox, Nimbat1003, Axel)
    #4: 1 (Crepe)
    HM: 3 (ffff0, bam541, NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: (The Orange Box) NA: October 10, EU: October 18, AU: October 25
    Developer: Valve
    Publisher: Valve
    Genre: Puzzle-platform
    Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, OS X, Linux, Android

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I finished Mass Effect for the first time with the Legendary Edition this year. It gets an honorable mention from me for creating such an incredible universe, that led to one of my all-time favorite games - Mass Effect 2.

I bought The Orange Box on Xbox 360 for Half-Life 2 but Portal was the real stand-out game from that collection. The innovative puzzle game design combined with it's smart entertaining storytelling, make it one of my favorite games of 2007.

My Picks:

1. Halo 3
    2. Super Mario Galaxy
    3. Portal
    4. BioShock
    5. (HM) NCAA Football 08
    6. (HM) Pokémon Diamond
    7. (HM) Mass Effect
    8. (HM) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All

My full ranked list of 30 games on GGapp

I'll post the recap in a day or two, which includes all the games that missed the top 20.

• Oh shit okay I really didn't expect either of these games to be in the Top 2. I didn't expect Mass Effect because many people prefer the sequel and find the original dated (esp on 360). And I didn't expect Portal because it's literally 2 hours.

Mass Effect

Hated this game in 2007. My friends and I played Oblivion religiously and Mass Effect kinda confused us. We were young and not really deep into RPG games, but Oblivion was our gold standard. So playing a game with all of this talking and encyclopedic jargon was really boring. It was also kinda janky at launch on 360. But ME was one of the first games I played on my gaming PC in 2011 and I was blown away and could appreciate it being older. Honestly, Mass Effect and The Witcher was neck in neck for me and I love them both, but I feel like Mass Effect was a bit more polished while The Witcher was actually quite similar in all regards, but not as crisp.

Portal

I never expected to love Portal but once I started playing it, I couldn't put it down. It's magical to play something before the internet ruins it with their half hearted attempts of being non-spoilery, yet being entirely spoilery. "Just keep playing, it has a crazy twist" is what people would say. Well I got to experience that twist before anybody ruined it for me and not having that expectation then getting to experience it was magical.

• How I voted in this EZA Community Top 20

1. Halo 3
    2. Skate
    3. Warhawk
    4. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

HM: God of War II, Mass Effect, Team Fortress 2, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

--

My personal GOTY list in my 12-13 year old 2007 mindset

1. Skate
    2. Warhawk
    3. Assassin's Creed
    4. The Orange Box (TF2 > Portal > Half Life 2 EP 2)
    5. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    6. Rock Band
    7. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    8. Motorstorm
    9. Bioshock
    10. Halo 3
    11. COD4: Modern Warfare
    12. NHL 08
    13. MLB 07: The Show
    14. Super Stardust HD
    15. Stranglehold
    16. Beautiful Katamari
    17. Heavenly Sword
    18. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    19. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
    20. Call of Juarez

What really blew our fucking pre-teen minds was Assassin's Creed and Skate. AC because of the graphics on my friend's new HDTV, but also free roaming reached entirely new heights.

EA Skate was more than a game though. It had that extra special meaning to it. We'd literally have helmets on from skating all afternoon, then come inside for a break and play Skate with our helmets on. Our lives were skateboarding back then and EA Skate was just perfect timing.

We'd play Lupe Fiasco's The Cool or Billy Talent's Billy Talent II on repeat while playing Halo 3 at one friend's house.

It was a tradition for years to play 4-player split-screen Warhawk before, after, and during halftime at my Super Bowl parties.

I actually played even more than these games in 2007-2008 but these are the games that I love. 2007 was an amazing time. In middle school about 100% of my time was either playing hockey, skateboarding, mountain biking, and when that wasn't happening we'd stay up all night and have sleepovers playing the games above.

Middle school (late 2005 - early 2008) was just magic. I'd love to get back to those days.

--

Thanks @Shoulderguy for organizing this vote. 2007 had some many gems that they couldn't all make it, but damn it's fun to go back and think about this year.

• Mass Effect is my #1. I’ve replayed it in Legendary Edition this year and to my surprise, I was enjoying a 14-years old game. Sure, the biggest and the best part of Mass Effect is its world building, and video game storytelling ages a bit slower, but still… There are a lot of things to criticize here – empty planets, copy-pasted bases, useless companions, gathering side quests, but at the same time all of this repetitiveness and emptiness helps creating a feeling that the space is too big for you and even for humanity. Which, in turn, goes a long way for helping to make this world real and believable.

Also, I’ve replayed all trilogy in Legendary edition, and it helped me to really appreciate driving sections in Mass Effect. Again, they don’t add much on paper, but just this little gameplay shift makes the flow so much smoother and fresher. I’ve really missed Mako while going through yet another linear shooting gallery in Mass Effect 2.

Finally, shout out to Citadel. Yeah, it’s too small, but still, it’s much bigger than other locations, which makes it appropriately special. Follow-up games unfortunately lost that.

• Portal is my #7. It’s a really nice puzzle game, and ending song is wonderful, but it’s way to short. More than half of the game is tutorial, and when you just get ready to start solving some puzzles it’s already over. At least final level is longer than you’ve expected.

• Here’re my top 8 2007 games:

1. Mass Effect
    2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    3. The Witcher
    4. Assassin's Creed
    5. Heavenly Sword
    6. Folklore
    7. Portal
    8. BioShock

Heavenly Sword was one of my first PS3 games and it was a real showpiece. Also, I really liked acting and set pieces. Most likely it’s much worse than I remember, but I still have fond memories of it.

Folklore was gifted to me and while I didn’t like gameplay (there’s too much grind and too much combat), I enjoyed music and, especially, story revelations. Not surprised it’s not in our Top 20, but it’s for sure in my Top 8.

• @ffff0

Heavenly Sword got unjustly shit on in the "Ps3 hAz n0 gAmEz" era of forum and YouTube trolling. Sure, they didn't have a game like Halo but holy shit was Heavenly Sword fun—albeit, not a system seller.

Also, love to see ME and The Witcher so high on your list. I swear by both of these games being underrated in the context of their sequels overshadowing the original.

• And there they are! Both Mass Effect and Portal are incredible games and I would say practically any game in our top half of the list could have a case being the 2007 GOTY. I'm already going to get out ahead of tagging fellow voters before going in-depth about both games, because there are a LOT of you, so I'll just say a lot of great tastes! Also, apologies for the massive wall of text and because of that, I just want to give my thanks to @Shoulderguy for taking up the mantle on these lists at the top here so you don't have to scroll to find out why this massive post has your name in it.

As for the games, first I'll start with Mass Effect. Now, while I've said a couple times I didn't get into the trilogy after the fact, I do want to go into detail why the first is my favorite of the bunch. To get the obvious negatives out of the way first: Yes, exploring planets is kind of pointless because they're mostly empty spaces with an infamously unwieldy vehicle. And yes, finding sidequests can be a chore, as I always have to go back to the Citadel several times more than necessary to see if anyone new populates somewhere. But despite that, I LOVE the origins of the crew of the Normandy.

Getting to meet and know characters for the first time who are iconic to not just Mass Effect but gaming as a whole was an incredible experience for me. It felt like a small, tight-knit group with Garrus, Wrex, Tali, and Liara being the standouts, and the conversations and adventures I felt were the strongest whereas Mass Effect 2 balloons your team to being twice the size it needs to be with some redundant characters. Not here. Even with the two weak links of Ashley and Kaidan, they don't stick around long with how quick you can recruit Garrus, Wrex, and Tali. And the DEEP amount of world building and lore with a fully voiced Codex does a WONDERFUL job at engaging you with key concepts, terms, and the history of the galaxy up to that point.

Beyond that, I'm one of the few that actually PREFERS the heat sink to the guns as opposed to the ammo system that pivoted at ME 2. Granted, with my New Game Plus file, I have like an exceptional Assault Rifle outkitted with mods that pretty much one-hit everything, but still, the base gameplay is solid. That, and I feel the RPG elements give the most freedom in ME 1 because in ME 2 and ME 3, progression feels more and more limited and there's less incentive to personalize your team the further the series goes.

And the story is incredible. Hunting down Saren, becoming the first Human Spectre, rescuing Liara, fighting Benezia, Virmire and Ilos all are the most standout moments to me. Going around and looking at just absolutely BEAUTIFUL planets with such a calming track of music has always made me wish there was a program that could randomly slideshow all the ME 1 planets with their descriptions as a screen-saver. Sure, many instances it's just selecting a planet, reading a prompt, and MAYBE get to land might be tame, but I've burnt out on constantly holding down a trigger to scan for minerals the older games have you do. It sits inside my top 20 games of all time at 18th.

Moving on to Portal, this was something I tried when I saw the demo available via the XBLA, and it HOOKED me. I remember feeling super smart (which, for the record, I'm most certainly not) being able to get through the whole game in a single sitting. I knew about the meme, but not about seeing the inner workings of Aperture. That was probably the thing I loved most. Going around, nosing into the darkest corners and finding the dens of Rattmann. The thing that probably hinders Portal the most is once you know the solutions, you kind of need to put it down for quite some time to give yourself the opportunity to forget them. Outside of that, I think it suffers without having any replay-ability. But still, I think Portal was the first game I played that adopted FPS concepts, but not an FPS itself. It felt fresh and new to switch up the mechanics and I don't think many games since have tried to do something like that. This barely sits in my top 40 games at 39th overall.

Now onto my picks, with words on the games that didn't make it from bottom up:

GOTY: Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    2.) Mass Effect
    3.) Portal
    4.) God of War II
    5.) (HM) Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Edition
    6.) (HM) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    7.) (HM) Super Mario Galaxy
    8.) (HM) Halo 3
    9.) (Didn't make the cut) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    10.) (Didn't make the cut) Peggle
    11.) (Didn't make the cut) Crackdown
    12.) (Didn't make the cut) Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
    13.) (Didn't make the cut) Assassin's Creed
    14.) (Didn't make the cut) Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
    15.) (Didn't make the cut) Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
    16.) (Didn't make the cut) Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters

Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters: This game is AWFUL. The first of two games NOT developed by Insomniac, the balancing of weapons is terrible, level design is uninspired, the story is incredibly forgettable, and the actual gameplay felt horrible. Size Matters is a HARD skip, and to this day, while still technically canon, it's never really referenced. Hands down one of the worst games I've ever played. It makes me angry.

Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron Being a BIG fan of the original Battlefront II, when I say there was a Battlefront for PSP just after I got my own, I quickly picked it up without doing too much research. And I wish I did, because as I started playing, the controls felt OFF. The single nub for movement and the camera controls assigned to others threw me and it didn't feel good. I don't have my copy any more to test if these memories are still accurate, but I played two matches, put it down, and never went back to it. It still bums me out to this day.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2: I sort of intimated it a tiny bit during my CoD post, but the reason why I got into military shooters was my father who is BIG into these games and technically, it was his copies I played, and from what I remember, GRAW 2 was whatever with a VERY short campaign. I never touched the multiplayer so I can't speak about that.

Crackdown: At the time Crackdown was a fun time in the moment, as figuring out how to take out each game's Lieutenants was a fun challenge. And of course, so. Many. Orbs. Figuring out how to reach the different types of orbs did pad out the game, but the thing about Crackdown that fundamentally soured me was at the end, when you find out the twist (which isn't good), I discovered you couldn't make a new game without a completely different profile/account. This is also a problem with Sunset Overdrive. Because of this, I couldn't take on the gangs again, and as a result, I never want to, nor can, pick it up again.

Peggle: Super casual, but a game focusing on mixing up pinball ideas with brick-breaker like gameplay and powerups combined to make a decent time. Though, like I said about CoD, it's one of those games I wish I could forever remove it from my profile. It's too shallow for me today. I went through quite the phase between this and military shooters.

Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Edition: Now, I needed clarification on eligibility and because there was enough remade, this version is considered a remake. The graphical style is gorgeous as the updates to the sprites, both your party and enemies, are a joy to look at. This version is on PSP and it's practically the original with the addition of four super boss filled endgame dungeons, plus a massive mega dungeon of 100 floors, all of which are optional. It does suffer from not telling you where you need to go unless you talk to every NPC possible to get a hint and even then, knowing HOW to get there also presents a major challenge. If anyone plays it, I recommend playing with a guide. Regardless, for me, it's still a fun time, though in terms of Final Fantasies, I would say it's 7th and I would consider in my "Good" tier, and it's my 52nd favorite game.

If anyone read any of this, thank you for your attention. I can't wait for the next one which should be our contemporary 2021 list... Spoilers, I'm STRUGGLING to get enough games done from this year to qualify. 2021 didn't have much for me.

• Here are my top 8 for 2007:

1)Bioshock
    2)Super Mario Galaxy
    3)Mass Effect
    4)Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
    HM: Skate
    HM: Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction
    HM: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    HM: Stranglehold

As stated I was 15 back in 2007 and wasn't able to get too many games, so the ones I've selected have been most representative of what I believe to be the biggest games to come in that year. I can't argue that Portal made a big impression in 2007 though I think Portal 2 was even better. Mass Effect was a great game and is worthy of second place, it may have been a choppy RPG experience back in 2007 but what it accomplished was absolutely emphatic and marked it out as a true stand-out title.

I think I cheated a bit because I put Skate into my HMs but I only played it back in August this year via Xbox One backwards compatibility, but I do feel it's worth a mention because it made skateboarding videogames fresh again. Stranglehold got a mention because it was just a hectic bullet bonanza that I really enjoyed while it lasted.

Much has been made about the significance of 2007 in videogames but despite some of the groundbreaking heavy hitters like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Portal, Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and what have you-I don't see it as that remarkable of a year looking back. Perhaps 2011 and 2013 spoiled me too much because if you want a couple of years stuffed to bursting point with fantastic games-those two years are the very best.

• I actually haven't played Portal yet - at the time of its peak popularity, I didn't have a PC strong enough to run it well, and I didn't realize until this thread that it was released on 360 XD - but I love puzzles in a 3D environment, and the more creative they are/the more varied they are/the more they make you think, the better.

Here's all I could scrape up for this year:

1. Halo 3
    2. Project Gotham Racing 4 (3 is a mess - THIS is the proper sequel to 2, and has some of the best visuals on the 360 - an incredible shame it was the last one, with Microsoft putting all their marbles into the far blander Forza.)
    3. Portal
    4. Super Paper Mario (Not a fan of the hub world and its abstract NPCs, or the emphasis on platforming, or having to literally scan rooms for secrets, or the final boss, and the soundtrack's a little weak, but everything else about the classic Paper Mario games is intact here.)

• @Brannox

I completely forgot about G.R.A.W. 2 which was a pretty awesome game but I only rented it and never finished it. If I'm not mistaken, isn't GRAW2 the only GameTrailers game to get a 9.9/10?

Also, Peggle is a classic in my eyes. I played it in 2009 or 2010 when I got an iPhone or maybe a bit before then on iPod Touch. Either way, it holds up. I played it a few weeks ago and suddenly lost 45 minutes.

@Oscillator

Another testament to 2007 being diverse. I forgot about PGR4. One of the first Xbox 360 games I played. I think the whole series is pretty underrated.

1. Portal
    2. Team Fortress 2
    3. Rogue Galaxy
    4. Peggle

• My votes:

Portal - Portal shares with some of my all time favourites that wonderful feeling of being caught off guard by what a game can aspire to be.

Super Mario Galaxy - Galaxy 2 is the true GOAT but Galaxy is still 10/10 material. Just and incredible display of creativity. Really like how well implemented and non intrusive the motion controls are. The act of spinning with the control shake is just immensely satisfying.

Mass Effect - My favourite mass effect. A bit clumsy but great writing and a great sci-fi RPG.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - I know this is a divisive title. I loved it, great use of motion controls and very chill overall.

The Darkness - Been thinking about replaying it. I just remember having a lot of fun and loving the dark urban atmosphere.

Halo 3 - Good game with some great highs and a few lows. Damn the flood Jebus!

BioShock - Writing and setting carry this game and make it a timeless classic even if gameplay is just ok.

Peggle - I was really hoping for Peggle to be a surprise hit on our top. Disappointing.

• Obviously the importance of Portal can't be understated. Such a compact and novel game executed pretty much flawlessly. Still, when I look back to the games from this year, it's not the game I look most fondly of. That definitely goes to Mass Effect, my personal favorite of the franchise. While the sequel offer a more polished and focused package, ME1 has this ambitious spirit that I admire and respect greatly. The explorable planets made it felt more immersive, like I was actually jumping around in the galaxy in my epic space opera quest of saving it. From the get go, the game already showcases an engrossing and believable world, and it's only a matter of time until I become attached to it all. Writing and characters wise it's one of Bioware's best, might not be their absolute best but still damn good. Not to mention, I still can't forgive the sequel for retconning the non-reloadable weapons, lol. Big game, lots to talk about, too little time.

Here's my full list:

1. Mass Effect
    2. CoD 4: MW
    3. Persona 3
    4. Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Honorable Mentions:

• God of War II
    • Portal
    • Motorstorm
    • SW Battlefront Renegade

Motorstorm is a very solid racing game. It graphically holds up better than other games of its time, and the feel of the cars are kinda unique.

I have a lot of fond memories of SW Battlefront Renegade. It's probably one of my most played PSP titles. Being limited by the PSP's power and controls didn't stop it from being a great game. It's perhaps still one of the best portable portrayals of a third person shooter with the scale of Battlefield.

• @dipset I just looked it up and the video review GT has it at a 9.2. Still an excellently rated game by the reviewer though.

• MySims, the true GOTY, got robbed.

• My list:

Tomb Raider: Anniversary
    Silent Hill: Origins
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Trials and Tribulations
    Mass Effect

Wild Arms 5
    Persona 3
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    The Witcher

• #1: Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    #2: BioShock
    #3: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Trials and Tribulations
    #4: Mario Strikers Charged

HM:
    WarioWare: Smooth Moves
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Team Fortress 2

75% of my list made it so I'm not mad :)
    In terms of the fun factor, I think I actually had more fun with Mario Strikers Charged and WarioWare than any other game on this list.