The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!

• @dipset I just looked it up and the video review GT has it at a 9.2. Still an excellently rated game by the reviewer though.

• MySims, the true GOTY, got robbed.

• My list:

Tomb Raider: Anniversary
    Silent Hill: Origins
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Trials and Tribulations
    Mass Effect

Wild Arms 5
    Persona 3
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    The Witcher

• #1: Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    #2: BioShock
    #3: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Trials and Tribulations
    #4: Mario Strikers Charged

HM:
    WarioWare: Smooth Moves
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Team Fortress 2

75% of my list made it so I'm not mad :)
    In terms of the fun factor, I think I actually had more fun with Mario Strikers Charged and WarioWare than any other game on this list.

1. Persona 3
    2. Super Mario Galaxy
    3. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
    4. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice For All
      HM) Half-Life 2 Episode Two
      HM) Portal
      HM) Call of Duty 4
      HM) The Witcher

Castlevania is mainly on here because it's the first western release of Rondo of Blood. I don't actually like the remake all that much and the original games included have some very smoothing you can not disable.

Mario Galaxy is fantastic and so are all The Orange Box games.

I started playing the Mass Effect remaster but so far I think it's pretty boring but I will finish it some day.

• GOTY 2007 Recap

Notes:

• We had 21 voters with 52 games nominated.
    • It was between Mass Effect and Portal for the top spot almost the entire time. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare made a strong run at the end.
    • Portal takes it with only two #1 votes. The previous fewest #1 votes by a GOTY winner - Shovel Knight (2014) and The Walking Dead (2012) with four #1 votes.
    • Portal wins GOTY, like Portal 2 did for 2011.
    • Super Mario Galaxy finishes third. Making it the highest ranking Mario game of these GOTY votes. Previous highest rank - #4 Super Mario Odyssey (2017), #4 Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010).
    • And fourth place Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the highest ranked Call of Duty game. Previous highest rank - #8 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009).

Exclusives (at the time):

• 3: DS (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Trials and Tribulations, Pokémon Diamond & Pearl)
    • 3: Xbox 360 (Eternal Sonata, Halo 3, Mass Effect)
    • 2: PS2 (God of War II, Persona 3)
    • 2: PS3 (Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune)
    • 2: Wii (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy)
    • 1: PC (The Witcher)

Score totals for games that didn't make the top 20:

• 5 Points: Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
    • 4 Points: Project Gotham Racing 4, Rogue Galaxy, Silent Hill: Origins
    • 3 Points: Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles, Peggle, Warhawk
    • 2 Points: The Darkness, Folklore, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, Mario Strikers Charged, MotorStorm, MySims, Super Paper Mario
    • 1 Point: Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary, Half-Life 2 Episode Two, Heavenly Sword, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, NCAA Football 08, Need for Speed: ProStreet, Puzzle Quest, Rock Band, Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, The Simpson's Game, Stranglehold, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, UEFA Champions League 2006–2007, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Wild Arms 5
    • 0 Points: Lair, Link's Crossbow Training, Manhunt 2, Two Worlds...

EZA Community GOTY ranks for franchises that started in 2007:

• #2: Mass Effect (2007), #1: Mass Effect 2 (2010), #2: Mass Effect 3 (2012), #22: Mass Effect: Andromeda (2017).
    • #5: BioShock (2007), #N/A: BioShock 2 (2010), #4: BioShock Infinite (2013).
    • #7: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007), #1: Uncharted 2 (2009), #5: Uncharted 3 (2011), #N/A: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (2012), #1: Uncharted 4 (2016), #12: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (2017).
    • #16: The Witcher (2007), #9: The Witcher 2 (2011), #1: The Witcher 3 (2015).
    • #18: Skate (2007), #N/A: Skate 2 (2009), #21: Skate 3 (2010)
    • #19: Assassin's Creed (2007), #4: AC II (2009), #11: Brotherhood (2011), #24: AC III (2012), #14: Syndicate (2015), #20: Origins (2017), #7: Odyssey (2018), #20: Valhalla (2020). Unranked = Revelations (2011), Black Flag (2013), Rogue (2014), Unity (2014).

That's a wrap for the EZA Community's GOTY 2007! Thanks again to everyone who participated!

Thanks to @JDINCINERATOR for allowing me to manage this GOTY election. And shout out to @axel for all his previous countdowns - which I used for creating this countdown.

Whether I'm organizing the GOTY vote or just voting, I look forward to doing more of these. As for what's next, 2021 is almost over but it's probably best to give everyone more time to play those games like we did for 2020. And if we decide to do 2006 next, that year has my second favorite game of all-time. So I'm very curious to see where it will rank.

• @shoulderguy This was super insightful! Thanks for the recap.

• @shoulderguy I'd love to see another countdown from you if you're up for doing another one.

• @jdincinerator If enough people are interested in doing another one then I'm up for it.

• @shoulderguy said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

• 5 Points: Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

Isn't this a tie for 20th place?

• Kinda strange (or maybe not) that Crysis has 0 points because it was a huge deal back in 2007.

But I understand that this game really isn't anything to write home about, it was always a bit overrated.

It also got a remaster this year but nobody talked about it.

• @neocweeny said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

Isn't this a tie for 20th place?

It wasn't a one-to-one tie. Lost Planet had a #2 vote and one Honorable Mention. Eternal Sonata had a #1 vote.

• @neocweeny said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

Kinda strange (or maybe not) that Crysis has 0 points because it was a huge deal back in 2007.

But I understand that this game really isn't anything to write home about, it was always a bit overrated.

It also got a remaster this year but nobody talked about it.

IMO, Crysis was borderline unplayable by most in 2007. I recall most outlets suggesting they could barely even play it for review. When they could get it to run, it didn't really look any better than, say, COD4 (if not worse).

I'll be honest, I never finished Crysis but I do think the sandbox freedom is a bit underrated. I think the term sandbox gets thrown around a lot but if you strip it down and bring it back to it's roots and imagine a kid on a playground. They can play on the jungle gym that the city built or they can play in the sandbox. Night and day. One is a canvas and one has pre-made obstacles. Crysis truly is a sandbox and it's a rewarding game depending on how much imagination and creative input you yourself put into it. But when the game tries to be structured, it isn't great. Narrative is weak, cutscenes are boring, gunplay is a bit samey.

So despite all of the ambition and underrated elements of Crysis, all of that becomes extremely muted in a market oversaturated by a million open world games. So even a remaster of a one of a kind game is almost unnoticeable when it looks like everything else at a glance.

--

So in regards to it's notoriety around here. Well... it was basically unplayable in 2007. It was mostly still unplayable on my top-of-the-line gaming PC in 2011 due to Crysis having bad GPU optimization. AND now in it's remastered state in 2021, it's still hard to make anybody care.

Bad luck but those who love it at least can appreciate it in their own way.

• @dipset I agree with you in the sandbox part but the problem is only a few hours in and it ditches that concept and turns into your typical scripted linear shooter.

• I just want to admit my faux pas. I forgot to include Mass Effect in my top 4. OOF

1: Bioshock
    2: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
    3: Mario Galaxy
    4: Portal

HM:
    Rock Band
    Uncharted
    Puzzle Quest
    Skate

• Btw, I'm not submitting the list to the Community Showcase. If anyone would like to do the honors: I have the list of games here

• @shoulderguy I normally would take some (or all) of my post to make mention of it, however, my submission for this month has already been written up and the topic I've chosen has no room for me to squeeze it in. I might be able to say something next month (if no one does for this coming Showcase), but I'm unsure right now.

• Unfortunately I will not be able to submit it to Community Showcase (this or next). But I can submit it to December's Q&A if nobody will decide to use their Community Showcase slot.

• @Brannox @ffff0 I appreciate it but I'd rather see it in this months Community Showcase. So I'll go ahead and submit it.

• Brandon and Brad's reactions to our top 20 here:

Youtube Video – [20:56..]